PDA

View Full Version : Are you in favor of Armed Gaurds in Schools?

Pages : [1] 2

FSWer
03-30-2013, 12:24 AM
Ok,they have been talking about this on the News. So I thought I would try turning it into a Thread. But..in the aftermath oth the Sandy Hook School Shooting..are you in favor of Armed Gaurds in Schools?

Buzz
03-30-2013, 08:06 AM
I say hire Art teachers instead of armed guards.

DAngel
03-30-2013, 08:20 AM
:lol:

To Art teachers :40beers:

PeterG
03-30-2013, 06:53 PM
MAKE ART NOT WAR!!! :cheer2: :cheer:

PrincessLeppard
03-30-2013, 11:31 PM
Okay, I'm a teacher, so I'll answer this the best I can. For about seven years, my school (I teach high school) had a police officer in the school and he carried a gun. And a taser. The kids were more frightened of the taser, interestingly. I don't like guns, but I'd like to assume (though I know I could be utterly wrong) that are cops are pretty well trained in gun use, and I wasn't worried about him shooting anyone.

I would worry a bit more about an armed security guard, because sometimes (not always!) security guards are cop wannabes who didn't make the cut, and I would prefer that those people not have access to anything more dangerous than string.

And also remember, there was an armed officer at Columbine, for all the good that did.

So I guess my point is, am I in favor of armed guards in schools? No. But having one in my school wasn't some big trauma, either.

heckles
03-31-2013, 12:54 AM
If we start arming gaurds, it's only fair to arm pumpkins too.

Rob
03-31-2013, 02:27 AM
Gourds?

heckles
03-31-2013, 03:00 AM
Gourds?

Glad someone got it. :)

Wyliefan
03-31-2013, 06:48 PM
I say hire Art teachers instead of armed guards.

What, because it's easy to take down a shooter with a paintbrush?

Or were you thinking of that "draw a gun" bit from Looney Tunes?

Wiery
03-31-2013, 08:38 PM
I"m still undecided about this one. My first thought is yes, let's put armed guards in schools. However, we had a full-time armed policeman at my son's middle school, and one boy shot and killed another boy in the hallway execution style several years ago. The murder happened in the blink of an eye, before the policeman or any other person could react; so my point is that a lot of damage can be done in a very short time with just a small pistol. The policeman was in another hallway. Knowledge of an armed guard isn't necessarily a deterrant either; the child knew there was a school police officer, but he knew he wasn't in the hallway at that particular time and acted quickly. Armed guards might help, but they're not the complete guarantee of safety that some people think they are.

Also, the money's got to come from somewhere to pay for the guards. Folks don't want to pay more taxes, so programs, staff, and materials might get cut.

However, my ears are open to compelling arguments from all sides of this discussion.

heckles
03-31-2013, 11:35 PM
However, my ears are open to compelling arguments from all sides of this discussion.

At any event in which there are 1,000 people moving about, whether it's a concert or festival, you tend to have several armed guards and/or policemen, and few people think that's a bad idea. Some high schools can have the same number of people choking narrow hallways every hour, but society is freaked out about having a guard placed in that setting. Hypocritical?

milanessa
03-31-2013, 11:38 PM
Hypocritical?

Nope

cruisin
03-31-2013, 11:55 PM
Glad someone got it. :)

A pumpkin is a gourd. :D

I'm conflicted. I have no strong opinion either way. I do think, however, that more than armed guards, schools need security. Doors need to be locked and bullet proof. It would also be necessary that the doors lock, preventing entrance, but not exit. There should only be one accessible entrance, directly to the main office (with/without a guard). Anyone entering a school should have to prove they belong there. That said, that will not protect students from other students. Maybe metal detectors?

I don't want our schools to become prisons, but we have to protect our children.

Badams
04-01-2013, 01:36 AM
A pumpkin is a gourd. :D

I'm conflicted. I have no strong opinion either way. I do think, however, that more than armed guards, schools need security. Doors need to be locked and bullet proof. It would also be necessary that the doors lock, preventing entrance, but not exit. There should only be one accessible entrance, directly to the main office (with/without a guard). Anyone entering a school should have to prove they belong there. That said, that will not protect students from other students. Maybe metal detectors?

I don't want our schools to become prisons, but we have to protect our children.

That sounds pretty close to prison to me.

heckles
04-01-2013, 03:27 AM
There should only be one accessible entrance, directly to the main office (with/without a guard). Anyone entering a school should have to prove they belong there.

The problem with that system is that most students arrive at about the same time each day. It seems rather Orwellian to make hundreds of children line up outside in poor weather in order to access one designated entry.