PDA

View Full Version : Which Of These Television Series Should One NOT Miss Out On?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

PeterG
03-29-2013, 08:39 PM
I just read about a book in Entertainment Weekly by Alan Sepinwall entitled, "The Revolution Was Televised: The Cops, Crooks, Slingers and Slayers Who Changed TV Drama Forever". TV critic Sepinwall tells the story of twelve series in his book that:

....ushered in a new golden age of television one that made people take the medium more seriously than ever before. - amazon.com

The amazon description for this book (http://www.amazon.com/The-Revolution-Was-Televised-Slingers/dp/0615718299) concludes with:

The Revolution Was Televised is the story of these 12 shows, as told by Sepinwall and the people who made them, including David Chase, David Simon, David Milch, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, Vince Gilligan and more.

So which of these TV series do you recommend people view IMMEDIATELY!!!?? (The poll is multiple choice, so vote for as many as you like.)

Also, do you feel there is a series that existed around the same time as these shows...that is more deserving of being on this list than any of these twelve?

Grannyfan
03-29-2013, 09:00 PM
I feel like a freak, but honestly I have never seen a single episode of any of those except for Mad Men. I've never missed an episode of Mad Men. I just don't watch much that's new.

PeterG
03-29-2013, 09:13 PM
I just don't watch much that's new.

:shuffle:

You know a number of these shows began in the 1990's, right?

Kasey
03-29-2013, 09:18 PM
The only one on the list I've ever seen any of was '24'...

jenny12
03-29-2013, 09:47 PM
I haven't seen all those shows, but I know they all have gotten rave reviews. Of what I've seen though, Lost is the only one I think is not quite on par with the rest. It started out really strong, but I don't think it was as consistent as some of the other shows on the list. I'm a huge Breaking Bad fan and think Bryan Cranston has to be giving one of the great performance ever on TV. The Wire was a great series as well.

professordeb
03-29-2013, 09:53 PM
For me it was Buffy alllll the way. I just lurved the way she kicked @ss.

I picked 24 cause that was the show my husband made sure was taped -- even went to far as to program it on his computer back in the day.

l'etoile
03-29-2013, 09:55 PM
Of the ones listed, my dorky side strongly recommends Battlestar Galactica:cheer: It gets better and better each time I watch it.

screech
03-29-2013, 10:00 PM
I watched LOST through the whole series, but it got pretty crappy. From shows that were on around the same time, but not in the list, I would recommend Veronica Mars, especially now that they've finally been greenlit (with fan funding) to make a movie.

Grannyfan
03-29-2013, 10:29 PM
:shuffle:

You know a number of these shows began in the 1990's, right?

I forget 1990 was nearly 25 years ago. It still sounds new. :)

danceronice
03-29-2013, 10:44 PM
I watched Buffy when it was on, but I was in college/grad school...going back to it now I don't really find it worth rewatching. I do keep meaning to get around to Deadwood one of these days.

michiruwater
03-29-2013, 11:10 PM
I finished Battlestar Galactica in August and I'm on my fourth re-watch already :shuffle: I'm totally obsessed. It's just a really, really remarkable show. Taking this really cheesy 70's sci-fi show and, through phenomenal acting, amazing writing, beautiful cinematography, and well-thought-out storylines that are truly relevant to things that are actually occurring for us now, turning it into something that not only re-set the bar for sci-fi shows but, IMO for all television shows out there is just an amazing achievement.

And if you guys think I'm obsessed with Jennifer Lawrence, don't even get me talking about Mary McDonnell. I just don't have as much opportunity to flail about her, but she's my actual favorite actress. I've watched some pretty bad movies for her sake :lol: And some very good ones, of course!

Also, the music is incredible,and if you do decide to watch, I think the series itself is better than the miniseries (the first episode of the first season is generally considered to be one of the best episodes of the entire show), so if the miniseries is not quite floating your boat please be sure to move onto the actual series as well and then make your decision.

Japanfan
03-29-2013, 11:33 PM
I haven't watched any of these. The series I'm currently watching are The Walking Dead, Downton Abbey and Game of Thrones. We are going to check out Homeland and Hotel Paradise (?), which was apparently a huge hit in England the first season. A friend has downloaded those episodes to us so we have them on the computer.

Downton Abbey would be the one to not miss out on, followed by Game of Thrones. Much as the Walking Dead's viewership has increased exponentially - ironic, given that the zombies do the same - I can understand that some people couldn't take the violence. I watched the entire first two Seasons during a marathon and had nightmares about those zombies for weeks!! Fortunately, that has passed as I've gotten used to them.

duane
03-29-2013, 11:40 PM
Of the shows listed, I've only seen The Sopranos and Oz. I chose the one that had hot naked men and hot men kissing show after show after show. ;)

znachki
03-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Buffy, Deadwood and The Wire. Although I didn't pick it, I'd say the 1st season of 24 as well.

PeterG
03-30-2013, 12:22 AM
My top four would be:

1. Lost
2. Buffy The Vampire Slayer
3. Oz
4. Deadwood

I've seen every episode of the first three and the first season of Deadwood (looking forward to seeing the following seasons). One show I would add to the list is "True Blood". :respec:

I'm a huge Breaking Bad fan and think Bryan Cranston has to be giving one of the great performance ever on TV. The Wire was a great series as well.

I saw one episode of Breaking Bad at my Mom's place and I hated it. I think the two lead acts were held captive in a cabin in the desert and not much happened. So boring. Plus lots of foul language, which makes it awkward knowing your Mom does not appreciate that kind of language! :lol:

I thought I had seen one episode of The Wire, but it didn't do much for me. Checked youtube for a trailer and found this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9feD6MDcM1E) Hmm...is this representive of the series? :(