PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Knox, Meredith Kercher retrial

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

skatefan
03-26-2013, 09:23 AM
'Breaking news:

Amanda Knox and her ex-boyfriend will face a re-trial over the death of British student Meredith Kercher in Italy in 2007. More soon... '

Just breaking here, wow, very surprised to hear this!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21936308

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/450363/20130326/amanda-knox-sollecito-italy-trial.htm

mag
03-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Heard this on the news this morning. According to CBC, the chance of Amanda being extradited should she be found guilty is zero.

Skittl1321
03-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Heard this on the news this morning. According to CBC, the chance of Amanda being extradited should she be found guilty is zero.

Man, I didn't realize any Western countries allowed retrials like this... learn something new every day.

I agree, the US won't extradite her for this. But it will mean she is trapped her for the rest of her life, because she can't risk traveling anywhere that will. After being aquitted, this must be horrible. If she really is innocent, compound that with losing her roommate, dealing with all the original proceedings, I just cannot imagine.

Hopefully they will find her not-guilty again. It seemed like any evidence was really shaky, though what the hell she was thinking with her behavior while she was being held baffles me.

ks777
03-26-2013, 03:39 PM
yep, if I were Amanda, I would just ignore Italy. Can we just send Casey Anthony to Italy instead?

Vash01
03-26-2013, 05:09 PM
I had read yesterday that the Italian supreme court was about to make a decision within the next few hours on whether these two would be tried again, but I forgot to check the news later in the day. I thought the nightmare was over for them, particularly Amanda since she is back in her home country. I can't believe that any civilized country would charge a person twice for the same crime.....or is this the normal progression (from apellate court to supreme court)?

I also don't believe the US government will extradite its own citizen, but what a nightmare for Amanda! It sounded like she was free, but she is not really free, unless she limits her travels to only countries that will not extradite her.

*Jen*
03-26-2013, 05:38 PM
It's a normal progression.

It might not end up being such a bad thing for anyone. The first trial was so badly flawed that a fresh one might be able to shed some light on it.

It may or may not clear Amanda and Rafaele (probably will, given the evidence), but let's not forget in the face of the media circus was that the real victim was Meredith, and her family is still desperately seeking answers about what went on. If this trial can give them some closure, then it'll be worth it.

Also, from Rafaele's lawyer: "Quashing an acquittal does not imply a belief that the accused are guilty but indicates a desire by the judges of the court of cassation to request further analysis" (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/26/amanda-knox-retrial-meredith-kercher-murder) . It might, therefore, shed some light on how the DNA evidence was so badly flawed.

ks777
03-26-2013, 05:43 PM
I had read yesterday that the Italian supreme court was about to make a decision within the next few hours on whether these two would be tried again, but I forgot to check the news later in the day. I thought the nightmare was over for them, particularly Amanda since she is back in her home country. I can't believe that any civilized country would charge a person twice for the same crime.....or is this the normal progression (from apellate court to supreme court)?

I also don't believe the US government will extradite its own citizen, but what a nightmare for Amanda! It sounded like she was free, but she is not really free, unless she limits her travels to only countries that will not extradite her.

I don't know, I wouldn't want to travel to oversea after what she had to go through..

DAngel
03-26-2013, 05:58 PM
So I guess the Italian witch hunt continues..

Angelskates
03-26-2013, 11:18 PM
but let's not forget in the face of the media circus was that the real victim was Meredith, and her family is still desperately seeking answers about what went on. If this trial can give them some closure, then it'll be worth it.

Amanda was/is also a real victim, she was a victim of screw-ups, a majorly flawed investigation. It doesn't make Meredith less of a victim, but it bugs me when people use the "let's not forget the real victim" - there can be more than one victim in a botched investigation. I feel sorry for both families, and all victims of this investigation. However IMHO, if Meredith's family think this trial will give more/different answers, I think they are going to be sorely disappointed. I think they're now part of the witch hunt, they're so desperate for answers, they want people found guilty, regardless of whether they are or not. You say "If this trial can give them some closure, then it'll be worth it." - I find that astounding - is it worth convicting someone of murder - regardless of whether the trial is fair, or if she did it or not, to give the family closure? Since when is closure for the victim's family the purpose of a trial? I thought it was justice; to prosecute the actual perpetrator.

michiruwater
03-27-2013, 01:00 AM
Ridiculous. Amanda just needs to stay in the US. I can't believe this witch hunt is continuing.

mag
03-27-2013, 01:56 AM
I don't know very much about murder investigations. I do know those talented actors on "Cold Case" seem to be able to solve crimes 30 years after the fact, but is it really possible at this point to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, what really happened?

michiruwater
03-27-2013, 02:14 AM
Considering how badly the police bungled it, I doubt it.

Rob
03-27-2013, 03:25 AM
Why are the police/prosecutors so convinced that Guede had an accomplice? I was once up on the evidence, but I have forgotten.

Vash01
03-27-2013, 06:15 AM
Amanda was/is also a real victim, she was a victim of screw-ups, a majorly flawed investigation. It doesn't make Meredith less of a victim, but it bugs me when people use the "let's not forget the real victim" - there can be more than one victim in a botched investigation. I feel sorry for both families, and all victims of this investigation. However IMHO, if Meredith's family think this trial will give more/different answers, I think they are going to be sorely disappointed. I think they're now part of the witch hunt, they're so desperate for answers, they want people found guilty, regardless of whether they are or not. You say "If this trial can give them some closure, then it'll be worth it." - I find that astounding - is it worth convicting someone of murder - regardless of whether the trial is fair, or if she did it or not, to give the family closure? Since when is closure for the victim's family the purpose of a trial? I thought it was justice; to prosecute the actual perpetrator.

Well said. Nobody disputes that Meredith's violent death was tragic beyond words, and I do feel sorry for her family. However, as you correctly pointed out, simply convicting 'anyone' is not the right kind of closure for anyone.

I watched a couple of interviews on CNN tonight on AC360. One of the experts said that the reason the case has gone to the Supreme court is that they want to look at the whole evidence, rather than pieces of it, and that the trial could go on for 2-3 years. They said it is not double jeopardy for Amanda. However, if I were Amanda, I would not go to Italy for the trial, of my free will. I am not an attorney, but from whatever I saw/heard during her trial, I don't have faith in the Italian justice system. They seem to crumble under public pressure.

Coco
03-27-2013, 10:16 AM
I worry for her then boyfriend, Rafael. He doesn't have another country to hide out in. This must be so draining financially and emotionally. Their whole 20s are taken up with this.

Have the prosecutors even published a theory at this point? Have they ever said all 3 (Amanda, Rafael & Rudy) killed Meredith?