PDA

View Full Version : CBC TV & Internet Broadcast Schedules of 4CC, Jr. Worlds & Worlds (Canada)

Pages : 1 [2]

Peter_K
02-20-2013, 02:36 AM
CBC showed the free programs of the Jr GPF last season as well. And they showed Jr Worlds during the Dube/Davison years when it was last held in Canada. CBC also showed Jr. Worlds in the early 90s. My guess is that whenever TSN/CTV obtains the rights to Skate Canada and Canadians, CBC will more like air other international skating events like juniors.

Ummm.... CTV/TSN has had those rights for 2 years now. :) (still wishing it didn't happen -- I got spoiled with the BOLD coverage)

Peter_K
02-23-2013, 05:44 AM
On Friday, February 22nd, the Federal Government formally approved the sale of BOLD to Blue Ant Media.
(The sale received CRTC approval back in December but since its a government property it apparently also requires government approval for the sale.)

According to the terms of the original sale agreement, Blue Ant gets possession of the channel 7 days later to do with as they wish.

There may be no full worlds event coverage on CBC television.

I have it on good authority that whatever happens, the live streaming on cbc.ca will continue.

Oh I'm hoping beyond hope that I'm wrong about this. Lets keep our fingers crossed that something was worked out to keep worlds on BOLD at least for this year.

--Peter

Sylvia
02-23-2013, 09:12 PM
For those who can watch CBC TV and/or the live streaming:

LIVE NOW 4:00 PM Championship Figure Skating on CBC: Four Continents- Men's and Pairs Free Programs
Sun Feb 24 3:00 PM Championship Figure Skating on CBC: Four Continents (LOCAL)

cbcsports.ca live stream:
LIVE NOW 4:00 PM Championship Figure Skating on CBC: Four Continents- Men's and Pairs Free Programs
Sun Feb 24 2:00 PM Championship Figure Skating on CBC: Four Continents- Women's and Dance

alilou
02-24-2013, 02:57 AM
CBC is the one with the contract for TV coverage with the ISU. Is CBC even allowed to then do a deal with Blue Ant to show worlds on what is no longer a CBC channel? Anybody?

Peter_K
02-24-2013, 04:02 AM
CBC is the one with the contract for TV coverage with the ISU. Is CBC even allowed to then do a deal with Blue Ant to show worlds on what is no longer a CBC channel? Anybody?

CBC has the _rights_ to ISU events. Remember that last year their GP coverage was also broadcast on Vision TV. One could surmize, then, that their contract would have allowed them to subcontract those rights. As we've seen with U.S. skating broadcasts, just because you have those rights doesn't necessarily mean you're actually going to do anything.

There are no press releases on the Blue Ant website yet regarding BOLD. All we can do is wait and see right now unless something with some inside scoop is willing to talk.

alilou
02-24-2013, 12:47 PM
OK thanks. That makes sense. Fingers crossed!

Sylvia
02-24-2013, 05:49 PM
cbcsports.ca Today 2:00 PM Championship Figure Skating on CBC: Four Continents- Women's and Dance

CBC TV Today 3:00 PM Championship Figure Skating on CBC: Four Continents (LOCAL)

Gayo
03-04-2013, 05:57 PM
I emailed Jennifer Mason at Blue Ant Media (director of marketing communications; she was the only contact on their website) and she responded that they aren't taking over BOLD until August 2013 so any previously planned programming scheduled is still being managed by CBC. So, we will get coverage. Big relief! I live in the states but planned a trip to visit family in Toronto just so that I can watch the coverage on BOLD. My niece has the network.

Peter_K
03-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Thank you, Gayo.

I'm _SO_ glad I was completely wrong about this.

I also appreciate you getting the real information from the source.

Last night I was watching some of the 2007 Country Canada coverage of Worlds in Japan -- The one that started it all and got us spoiled rotten. And realized what a great ride it's been and how lucky we have been with CBC's coverage.

Hopefully, it's not the last we'll see of this kind of coverage.

Cheers,
--Peter

smileyskate
03-15-2013, 02:01 AM
So much nicer being able to see all the short programs on CBC. You get to see some additional skaters and programs for a change instead of just the same few doing the same LPs. I liked that teams from Gr. Britain and German even made the prime time broadcast. Tracey and Scott make a nice commentating team.