PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling Eliminated from Olympics

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12

Skittl1321
02-14-2013, 08:20 PM
For every Randy Ferbey at the elite level, there are many more Glenn Howards, guys in their late 30's and 40's who are in phenomenal shape

Haven't a clue who these people are, and don't really care to google. I never said ALL curlers were out of shape- it was just in response to the idea that golfer's aren't athletes because not all of them are in shape. Some apparently are a little chubby, others are in phenomenal shape. Not all curlers are in phenomenal shape, though some are, it doesn't mean it isn't a difficult sport.

Ziggy
02-15-2013, 08:28 PM
And why is wushu even considered? It's such a niche sport...

And yet we still have the 2 country monopoly that is Women's hockey? :confused:

Equality says hello. :P

skipaway
02-15-2013, 09:43 PM
US Gov't Wants to get Involved (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/02/15/no-deadlock-over-headlocks/)

Senators and representatives from both parties stood in agreement Friday against the International Olympic Committee's decision to take wrestling to the mat, eliminating the sport from the games starting in 2020. They introduced resolutions urging the IOC to reinstate it and called on the United States Olympic Committee to "work actively to reverse this decision."

The group includes both senators from Iowa Republican Chuck Grassley and Democrat Tom Harkin where one of the country's largest high school state wrestling meets got underway this week. It's a tournament which is expected to draw tens of thousands of fans to Des Moines.

allezfred
02-15-2013, 10:01 PM
I'm pretty sure the Japanese Olympic Committee will be lobbying to get it back in again as women's wrestling has been quite successful for Japan. Hopefully any Japanese companies who are sponsors will get behind it too.

Buzz
02-15-2013, 11:25 PM
I have been disgusted with FIFA for quite a while now but always thought the IOC had done a good job of getting it's act together. But now all this has me changing my mind about the IOC.

Rex
02-15-2013, 11:28 PM
The IOC has voted to eliminate wrestling from the Olympics. To be honest, I am shocked. Wrestling is one of those sports where multiple countries tend to win medals, where many countries, including countries that don't have a ton of money for sports, do well. Why a sport with such a big international rate of participation? If they were going to get rid of something, why not cycling, with its apparently wide-spread doping?

Or horseback riding maybe? I'm not even a big wrestling fan, but yeah, I don't think it's a good idea to eliminate it...

maatTheViking
02-16-2013, 12:39 AM
The other day the local (Seatte Times) sports front page was a story on the High School wrestling state championships. Looks like it is pretty big here too.

reckless
02-16-2013, 01:06 AM
Here are some facts on wrestling from the 2012 Olympics.

71 countries competed in wrestling. 29 countries won medals. They included Mongolia, Kazakhstan, North Korea, Georgia, Iran, Puerto Rico, Uzbekistan, Estonia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan.

Of the 71 medals awarded, 16 were awarded to women (representing 11 different countries).

In the 14 men's events, gold medals were won by representatives of eight different countries.

I think that is a pretty remarkable amount of diversity given that wrestling only had 18 to 20 competitors in each event. The only other sports that are comparable in terms of diversity are athletics (with representatives from 201 countries competing in 47 events and its 143 medals divided between 41 countries), boxing (79 countries in 13 events due to a quota system set up for qualifying from different regions and 52 medals divided between 20 countries, and many weights had 26 qualifiers), and judo (56 medals in 14 events split among 23 countries) (judo actually had 388 competitors from 134 countries, but that was because it allowed so many qualifiers, with each men's class having more than 30 qualifiers).

Ziggy
02-16-2013, 01:25 AM
Yep and that's one of the reasons it should stay.

heckles
02-16-2013, 06:13 PM
That's not true of all golf courses, for example the more natural courses in Scotland that are on a different model than courses with miles of manicures greens, and there are places like Ireland and the Pacific Northwest where they aren't the same water drain, but for the most part, they are environmental nightmares. (I feel the same way about many lawns.).

You miss the most important point about golf: golfers are, as a rule, a bunch of self-important dweebs.

escaflowne9282
02-18-2013, 04:33 PM
And why is wushu even considered? It's such a niche sport...

Equality says hello. :P
So let's introduce men's synchronized swimming and men's rhythmic gymnastics? :P
Equality has nothing to do with it; it's all about money and sponsorships.
The IOC refused to introduce women's ski jumping event though that proposed event would have many more competitve countries.

Women's hockey has turned out to be the biggest niche sport of all.It has been between Canada and the US since its inception. It's a challenge for many other competing countries to even field a team, whereas these two countries have regular leagues. The IOC was sold a bridge in Brooklyn regarding the introduction of this sport to the Olympics. They were lead to believe that it was a fully contested competitive sport . It's such a waste of ice time , Olympic housing , and medals.

Jenny
02-18-2013, 05:19 PM
The IOC was sold a bridge in Brooklyn regarding the introduction of this sport to the Olympics. They were lead to believe that it was a fully contested competitive sport .

Sold, or bought? If the IOC didn't do their own research, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IIHF_World_Women%27s_Championships) then one can hardly blame a sport for seeking to raise its prestige and promote itself.

Also, it's worth noting that for the first 70 years of men's hockey at the Olympics, with one bizarre exception in the 1930s, gold medals were won by just two entities (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_Olympic_Games) - Canada and the Soviet Union/Unified team. For that matter, until 1952, Canada took gold every time except once.

But today, men's Olympic hockey is very competitive - so maybe the thinking is that by investing in women's hockey and building its popularity, there will come a day when more countries participate and win gold medals.

kwanfan1818
02-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Women's hockey might not have a league, but they have a quasi farm system in US universities. When they did player bios on the players in Vancouver, many of the players from Scandinavia and were playing for American schools, which may lead to more parity.

What winter sports are impacted by the inclusion of women's hockey, were there a limit, like what's affecting wrestling in the Summer Olympics? Women's ski jumping is one I know.

heckles
02-18-2013, 05:41 PM
MMA actually came out of martial arts, hence the name. Professional wrestling is doing its best to pretend that MMA doesn't exist.

MMA doesn't think much of wrestling, either. Former wrestlers in the MMA who are too quick to fight on the ground are called "ground-and-pounders" in a derogatory way.

manhn
02-18-2013, 06:13 PM
How does women's hockey affect the organization of the Games? There's the extra lodging. They use the same arena as the men's hockey for the medal-round games and "big" round-robin games. There was a second arena in the 2010 Games for some of they round robin games--not sure if a second arena would still have been required if it was just men's hockey. Wasn't that the main reason baseball and softball were eliminated--one had to build unique infrastructure for that sport.

Unlike the summer games, there are not a lot of team sports (I don't count anything involving relays or pairs or ice dance or whatever that speed skating thing was as true team events). There's hockey, curling...am I missing anything? I think women's hockey (and the further development of it around the globe) is an important part of the winter games organization.