PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling Eliminated from Olympics

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Jenny
02-12-2013, 07:34 PM
In principle, I don't mind equestrian sports because it's almost like a pairs team - two athletes working together. But you're right, it's a very expensive sport (then again, the same could be said for anything that requires expensive equipment and training), and how many countries participate?

The bigger issue is the horse though - they need to be transported in special planes all over the world. I'm sure they are treated well, but it doesn't really seem like something that would be traumatic for the animals.

Also, golf would be another one where you can win without being fit. There are certainly some strong golfers, but there are a lot of chubby golfers and guys that don't look particularly fit too.

love_skate2011
02-12-2013, 07:52 PM
my beef with a sport involving horses is that the horse gets much of the physical strain yet it gets no medal of recognition
dressage or equestrian should give the medal to the horse not the human !

Buzz
02-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Disgusting and utterly disappointing. Hope they change their minds but never worry; golf is back! (Sarcasum)

manhn
02-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Have you seen some of those curlers lately? They're hot!

BlueRidge
02-12-2013, 08:31 PM
What are the 25 sports that are included in the Summer Olys?

One thing to me is that for Oly sports the Olys should be the pinnacle. This was true of wrestling but isn't for all the other sports.

Skittl1321
02-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Aquatics, Archery, Athletics, Badmington, Basketball, Boxing, Canoe/Kayak, Cycling, Equestrian, Fencing, Football (Soccer), Golf, Gymnastics, Handball, Field Hockey, Judo, Rowing, Rugby, Modern Pentathalon, Sailing, Shooting, Table Tennis, Taekwando, Tennis, Triathalon, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Wrestling are what are listed on Olympic.org. This is obviously more than 25.

(It lists 7 winter sports: Biathalon, Bobsled, Curling, Ice Hockey, Luge, Skating, and Skiing.)

Garden Kitty
02-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Utterly ridiculous. It's more popular than modern pentathlon in terms of spectator appeal and participation, there haven't been too many doping scandals that I can think of, and it's not dominated by one country. And it's been in the Olympics since Ancient times.

Lots of discussion that Samaranch's son being VP of the modern pentathlon federation (and a member of the IOC) helped keep that sport in. The number of countries who participate in modern pentathlon at the Olympics is a lot fewer than the countries that send wrestlers.

Personally, I never enjoyed watching wrestling and the rules were sort of confusing, so I'm not too upset, but it does seem wrong that one of the original Olympic sports is kicked out like this. I also don't like sports in the Olympics for whom the Olympics isn't really the biggest event. That's why even though I'm a cycling fan, I wouldn't mind if it weren't included.

sk8er1964
02-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Also, golf would be another one where you can win without being fit. There are certainly some strong golfers, but there are a lot of chubby golfers and guys that don't look particularly fit too.

Not at the professional level. These guys are walking four miles every day, plus swinging the club, lifting weights, etc. What they do isn't an aerobic exercise, but you cannot be out of shape and be a successful pro golfer.

Jenny
02-12-2013, 09:17 PM
I'm just going by the number of golfers I see with noticeable paunches, double chins and flabby arms. I'm not saying it's not hard work, but when I think of an "athlete" golfers are nowhere near the first that come to mind.

Related question - whatever happened to the idea of amateur sport? Is it just too hard to draw a line anymore, now that just about everyone has sponsors, and to be competitive, you pretty much have to train/compete full time?

allezfred
02-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Lots of discussion that Samaranch's son being VP of the modern pentathlon federation (and a member of the IOC) helped keep that sport in. The number of countries who participate in modern pentathlon at the Olympics is a lot fewer than the countries that send wrestlers.

Modern Pentathlon is also the brainchild of Baron de Coubertin, the father of the modern Olympics. It's going nowhere.

I'll be :drama: if wrestling gets kicked out. It's the only time its socially acceptable to watch sweaty and scantily clad grown men engage in mild frottage on daytime TV. :grope:

Skittl1321
02-12-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm just going by the number of golfers I see with noticeable paunches, double chins and flabby arms. I'm not saying it's not hard work, but when I think of an "athlete" golfers are nowhere near the first that come to mind.

Can you name a professional golfer who fits that image? I honestly can't think of one.

I do remember a few curlers with quite the beer bellies though.

overedge
02-12-2013, 09:28 PM
There is a wrestling program in my area that has produced several Olympic medalists - including some from small towns where wrestling was one of the few sports available or affordable. Obviously I am biased because of this, but wrestling should not be eliminated from the Olympics.

Taekwondo, on the other hand, has had a number of judging skandals over the years, in addition to stuff like this: http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/6608.asp
It should be kicked out before wrestling is.

sk8er1964
02-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Can you name a professional golfer who fits that image? I honestly can't think of one.

John Daly, but I don't think he was that out of shape in his younger playing days. Of course, he's also not a successful golfer any longer, so there you go.

Jenny
02-12-2013, 09:46 PM
Modern Pentathlon is also the brainchild of Baron de Coubertin, the father of the modern Olympics. It's going nowhere.

Apparently some people thought it was the one that was sure to go - this is from a Globe and Mail article in which the Canadian wrestling federation expressed their complete surprise:

"Wrestling was not on the radar,” a source told French news service AFP. “It was a very close vote between wrestling and modern pentathlon, maybe one or two votes separating them. The trouble was while modern pentathlon and tae kwon do did effective lobbying, wrestling thought they were safe and did none at all.”

Mickelson is in better shape now, but he won a lot of tournaments when he looked like this. (http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/165/431/110945405_crop_650x440.jpg?1301337382)

I think this (http://elitistjerksports.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/pga_g_momeara_580.jpg) is from around the time O'Meara won the Masters.

Cabrera gets his green jacket here. (http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2009/4/13/1239584695190/Angel-Cabrera-green-jacke-001.jpg)

And OK this (http://mantoos.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/John-Daly.jpg) one's kinda funny, but it's not too far from how he looked when he won his two majors.

Jenny
02-12-2013, 09:51 PM
John Daly, but I don't think he was that out of shape in his younger playing days. Of course, he's also not a successful golfer any longer, so there you go.

I believe this (http://i.ebayimg.com/t/JOHN-DALY-PGA-Championship-Golf-8-x-10-Photo-/22/!CFg%29cwgEGk~$%28KGrHqIOKjQE0idK54%29RBNVWd7T%29+ w~~_35.JPG) is his hold the PGA Championship Cup, and this (http://www.btvision.bt.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/33111.jpg) is from the British Open that he won.