PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling Eliminated from Olympics

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

manhn
02-12-2013, 04:26 PM
I don't get this. Not only do a lot of countries participate in the sport, a lot of countries actually do well in it on an Olympic level. I don't follow it outside the Olympics but unlike a lot of those other "mat sports", I understand what is going and why a competitor scored a point.

GarrAarghHrumph
02-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Everything I have read says that wrestling will be judged against the sports looking to gain entry into the Olympics, so it is highly unlikely, but it supposedly could still be in.

I've also read that it would be nearly impossible for it to get back in so soon after being cut.

MR-FAN
02-12-2013, 04:54 PM
I'm someone who is not very interested in wrestling, never watched it, and is still pissed at this decision. I'm sorry, some events must remain sacred when it comes to the Olympics regardless of how popular they are, and to me those include sprinting, marathon, swimming, weight lifting and yes, wrestling. I mean really??? They keep field hockey and cancel wrestling??? What a bunch of morons. Everyone voting probably just went with sport their country is least likely to medal at or which brings in the least amount of money

Just reading about the voting process makes you realize how stupid it was. Good job IOC, way to alianate nations with barely any sporting legacy besides wrestling.

I'm kind of shocked at how angry this news made me :shuffle:

Jenny
02-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Again, if it's not popular enough then maybe the IOC and their broadcasters need to put more effort into promoting it, and educating Olys fans on its finer points.

I for one would rather see more medal events and less heats and qualifying rounds, which would give opportunities to more sports to get recognition.

DarrellH
02-12-2013, 05:39 PM
That makes sense. But. Golf. is. not. an. Olympic sport! :drama:

(Nothing against golf, neither is baseball!)

Shooting.

BigB08822
02-12-2013, 05:45 PM
I can't stand wrestling and you could probably not pay me to watch it but it is one of the ancient Olympic sports, isn't it? This seems completely wrong. People win Olympic medals for riding horses and shooting guns but wrestling doesn't fit the bill? I guess I am part of the problem by not caring about the sport but it isn't as if I can EVER remember seeing it on television and I watch everything that is on during the Olympics.

Jenny
02-12-2013, 06:00 PM
I do wonder about sports that are more about accuracy than athleticism and the higher/faster/stronger motto. I always liked the combined event of cross country skiing and shooting, but for other shooting events, what's next? Darts? Billiards? Horseshoes?

I realize there's a lot of skill involved and some level of specialized fitness, but anything where you can compete at a high level and still be out of shape doesn't seem to fit into the spirit of the Olympics to me. (I'm looking at you, curling!)

love_skate2011
02-12-2013, 06:34 PM
WTF, one of the original ancient Olympic sports taken out ! :mad:

why cant they remove ping pong, equestrian, handball , shooting and dressage !!

skipaway
02-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Washington Post Article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/ioc-board-meets-to-decide-on-dropping-1-summer-sport-modern-pentathlon-at-risk/2013/02/12/a7a437a8-74ee-11e2-9889-60bfcbb02149_story.html?hpid=z3)

Wrestling will now join seven other sports in applying for inclusion in 2020. The others are a combined bid from baseball and softball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and wushu. They will be vying for a single opening in 2020

love_skate2011
02-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Washington Post Article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/ioc-board-meets-to-decide-on-dropping-1-summer-sport-modern-pentathlon-at-risk/2013/02/12/a7a437a8-74ee-11e2-9889-60bfcbb02149_story.html?hpid=z3)

what is wushu ? :confused:

skipaway
02-12-2013, 06:56 PM
what is wushu ? :confused:

A form of full contact Martial Arts.

Wushu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wushu_(sport))

Do we not already have enough MA sports in the Olympics?

DarrellH
02-12-2013, 06:57 PM
sailing?

skipaway
02-12-2013, 07:01 PM
sailing?

Interesting guess Darrell. :lol:

GarrAarghHrumph
02-12-2013, 07:04 PM
It just makes no sense to me that they'd eliminate a sport that is so, in a way, egalitarian. Many, many nations do well in this sport, even nations that have very few, if any, other elite athletes compete at the elite level in wrestling.

The sport, relative to many, costs very little to get involved in, and it has such a long history. That it was even one of the finalists to be eliminated shocked me. Then to learn that it had been chosen for elimination!

maatTheViking
02-12-2013, 07:26 PM
of those listed, I only see wrestling and sport climbing as good Olympic sports. Karate or Wushu would be fine if they chuck taekwondo - but I think you can only have so many martial arts, and wrestling seem to be very basic to me.

Shooting and possible curling is the only sport where I think you can participate and 'not be fit' as someone said. If you think you can do equestrian or Ping-Pong without being fit you will be sorely mistaken.

I would personally be very sad if they remove equestrian, as I am a rider myself, but on the other hand, it is an extremely elitist sport (top horses can run in double digit millions, you will most likely need a sponsor good sponsor. Very few ride on their own horses, though some do), it is almost always the same 4-5 nations on top, with about a 7-10 nation spread for all the disciplines together. It would be extremely hard for any nation to start a program for this, it is just so damn expensive, and so hard to get good training opportunities.
In addition, it can be a real headache for the organizers, it is a very expensive event to put on.
It is, however, an excellent para Olympic sport, and that might be why it is pretty safe. Is wrestling possible at the para Olympics?