PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling Eliminated from Olympics

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

Buzz
04-05-2013, 04:10 AM
Someone wrote a nice letter in support of keeping wrestling in the Olympics so for the sake of bumping up this thread I am posting the link. :lol:

http://www.silverbelt.com/v2_news_articles.php?heading=0&page=79&story_id=4858

Seerek
04-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Theoretically that is one of the criteria for a sport's inclusion. One of the reasons that baseball was cut was that it already enjoys plenty of attention outside the Olympics, plus it has a competition other than the Olympics that is considered the most important competition for that sport: World Series.

The IOC has various criteria when considering dropping and/or adding sports to the Olympic roster. Visibility is one of them for sure.

IOC has also used lack of competition as a criteria for possible exclusion from Olympics. For example, The International Ice Hockey Federation is still confident that the IOC will keep women's hockey in the Olympics, although Jacques Rogge commented “we cannot continue without improvement." in 2010. USA and Canada have met in the final of all 15 World Championships since 1990.

Women’s hockey at risk of being dropped from the Olympics? (http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/09/womens-hockey-at-risk-of-being-dropped-from-the-olympics/)

angelflies
04-09-2013, 10:33 PM
Womens hockey should go. Only 2 countries can even play the sport. I watch some of the event sometimes and everyone besides Canada and the U.S are a joke. Even Canadians and Americans are bored by it, as it is 2 weeks of slop until the final between Canada and the U.S, the only relevent game.

manhn
04-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Is there precedent of removing one gender's competition but keeping the other? If they remove women's hockey, they have to remove men's hockey.

sammyf
04-10-2013, 03:13 AM
Is there precedent of removing one gender's competition but keeping the other? If they remove women's hockey, they have to remove men's hockey.

Don't they just need to keep them numbers even? Remove womens hockey, add womens sychro skating.

Domshabfan
04-10-2013, 03:20 AM
Don't they just need to keep them numbers even? Remove womens hockey, add womens sychro skating.

They don't have to do either of the options... Even now after so called equality drive, women's events are less than men's events in number.... Men have more events in Ski Jumping (now 3 - 1 in terms of event), luge (men have doubles event) and Bobsleigh (men have 4-men event, so events to one in favour of men). IOC still hash't allowed women to compete in Nordic Combined events so whole sport is only for men.

Even in wrestling men had 14 events as opposed to 4 events for the women (at worlds women have 7 events), so they can eliminate ice hockey women's event if they chose to. However, I am sure North American media will have a field day with this, if IOC decides to do this move.

Seerek
04-10-2013, 03:43 AM
I think the IOC would have even preferred a situation of 1 dominant country but at least different countries making the gold medal game vs. the situation where it's the same 2 countries making the gold medal game. Women's soccer debuted in 1996 (around the same time that women's hockey debuted) and while the US have won 4 of the 5 gold medals thus far, 3 other countries have at been able to make the gold medal game (Norway with gold in 2000, Brazil, and Japan).

kwanfan1818
04-10-2013, 05:56 AM
That would be sweet, were women's hockey to not make enough headway.

Yehudi
04-10-2013, 05:57 PM
I think the IOC would have even preferred a situation of 1 dominant country but at least different countries making the gold medal game vs. the situation where it's the same 2 countries making the gold medal game. Women's soccer debuted in 1996 (around the same time that women's hockey debuted) and while the US have won 4 of the 5 gold medals thus far, 3 other countries have at been able to make the gold medal game (Norway with gold in 2000, Brazil, and Japan).

I think they also look at other competitions. The US hasn't dominated the World Cup as much whereas the US-Canada domination in Womens hockey extends to every tourney they are in.

Buzz
05-15-2013, 01:52 PM
There is an exhibition tournament in New York being put on by the teams from Russia, Iran, and USA. It is sold out and the participants hope it will put pressure the IOC to keep wrestling in the Olympic Games.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/in-rare-move-u-s-russia-and-iran-join-together-for-wrestling-meet-in-new-york-1.1280490

Seerek
05-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Shortlisted for inclusion in the 2020 Olympics (1 spot available):

Wrestling
Softball/Baseball
Squash

Eliminated for inclusion in the 2020 Olympics:

Wakeboarding
Wushu
Karate
Roller sports
Climbing sports

Buzz
05-29-2013, 06:07 PM
So wrestling still has a shot?!

Gazpacho
05-31-2013, 03:27 AM
So wrestling still has a shot?!Yes it does! :cheer2: Ridiculous that the IOC Executive Committee recommended it for expulsion in the first place :mad:. Insulting that wrestling had make a presentation to the Executive Committee on why it's more worthy of the Olympics than wakeboarding. :rolleyes:

Now that the vote goes to the ultra-political full IOC instead of the ultra-political and ultra-out-of-touch Executive Committee, it has a good shot. Probably the best shot among the three finalist sports.

Why? Not because wrestling has been around since the ancient Olympics. Not because it is one of the most fundamental sports; all you need are two people--or one person and a large dog--and a piece of ground. Not because it had more countries win medals at the last Olympics than any sport except track and field, which has many more events.

Wrestling has one weapon far more powerful than history, universality, and the spirit of the Olympics: It has Putin (http://news.yahoo.com/russias-putin-backs-olympic-return-wrestling-120122210.html). :hat1:

Ziggy
05-31-2013, 03:48 AM
I know that stranger things have happened but it would be completely ridiculous to see Wrestling lose to Softball/Baseball (played in relatively few countries around the world) or Squash (:rofl:).

Gazpacho
05-31-2013, 04:57 AM
I know that stranger things have happened but it would be completely ridiculous to see Wrestling lose to Softball/Baseball (played in relatively few countries around the world) or Squash (:rofl:).It has already lost to golf. In the same meeting that they recommended wrestling's expulsion, they deemed golf a "core sport" :rolleyes:

If you can ignore the self-promotion, this is an excellent article (http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-02-15/opinions/37115730_1_original-olympic-sports-olympic-spirit-olympic-games). Never thought I'd say that about the writer.