PDA

View Full Version : My Oscar Party menu...ideas/suggestions

Pages : [1] 2

Icetalavista
02-06-2013, 08:18 PM
So far I have these things planned for my Oscar Party:
Jambalaya of the Southern Wild
Silver Lining Cupcakes (I wanted to make those steak rolls, or whatever the mom made, but when I google "homemades", it says noodles...any Philly folks, help me here...). I don't like crab, so ixnay on the Crabby Snacks.
Absolutely mARGOless baba ghanoush, or some other Iranian treat

other ideas?

TheGirlCanSkate
02-06-2013, 08:25 PM
have you seen this? http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/holidays/oscars/best-picture-menus-13 I'm starving now!

Habs
02-06-2013, 08:30 PM
You could make a Life of "Pie" ;)

White layer cake for Django Unchained

DarrellH
02-06-2013, 08:54 PM
"Beasts of the Southern Wild" Wild Boar Short Ribs

"Silver Linings Playbook" Banana Splits

"Zero Dark Thirty" Zero Bars and Coke Zero

"Lincoln" Lincoln Logs

"Les Miserables" French Crepes with nothing in them. Or, a loaf of bread.

"Life of Pi" Tiger Shrimp

"Amour" Mon Amour (It's a mixed drink)

"Django Unchained" Black & Whites (cookies)

"Argo" Just set out the container of Argo starch

TheGirlCanSkate
02-06-2013, 09:20 PM
"Les Miserables" French Crepes with nothing in them. Or, a loaf of bread.

HA HA:lol:

vesperholly
02-06-2013, 09:23 PM
It's not specifically themed, but I made red (carpet) velvet cupcakes with gold sprinkles for my friend's Oscar party last year. :)

Habs
02-06-2013, 09:24 PM
It's not specifically themed, but I made red (carpet) velvet cupcakes with gold sprinkles for my friend's Oscar party last year. :)

Oooh... good idea! Our Oscar party isn't big (just Mr. Habs and I and a couple of friends), but I think I'll make some of those this year. :swoon:

reckless
02-06-2013, 10:35 PM
My friend is one of the event producers for the Governor's Ball, the official party after the Oscar's. His company's website has a few of the recipes, including the smoked salmon and caviar pizza (http://www.sequoiaprod.com/blog/recipes/wolfgang-pucks-pizza/) from Wolfgang Puck and the Oscar's fudge (http://www.sequoiaprod.com/blog/recipes/sherry-yards-rich-oscars-fudge/) that they serve every year.

cruisin
02-06-2013, 10:46 PM
That fudge sounds more like a flourless cake. I make around 6 lbs. of fudge every year for Christmas and the condensed milk (or evaporated milk, whichever recipe I use), has to be cooked with the sugar for at least 15 minutes (about 240 with a candy thermometer). then you add the vanilla, chocolate, etc. Most recipes do not recommend using a microwave for chocolate, it dries it out.

Habs
02-06-2013, 11:19 PM
This thread has Jenny written all over it - where is she? ;)

Vash01
02-07-2013, 06:05 AM

Sounds great!

VIETgrlTerifa
02-07-2013, 06:54 AM
Fresh water and biscuits for Life of Pi, ;).

Seriously though, the nominated movies this year make it really easy to come up with an Oscar Party menu considering a lot of the movies mention or show food throughout.

Jenny
02-07-2013, 01:45 PM
This thread has Jenny written all over it - where is she? ;)

(((Habs))) I'm here, and taking notes :)

The movies don't inspire me this year from a food perspective, so I was thinking of something a little more elegant as a contrast to the delicious crap we have for Super Bowl. I have bookmarked the fudge recipe that reckless provided - thank you for sharing that! Otherwise I'm thinking Champagne and a series of little canapes.

Habs
02-07-2013, 03:44 PM
(((Habs))) I'm here, and taking notes :)

:cheer2:

cruisin
02-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Jenny, have you ever had Prosecco? It is Italian Champagne. Much less expensive for a great bottle. Won't compete with the $80 bottle of Champagne. But, the $10 - $12 bottle of Prosecco is better than most $30 bottles of Champagne.