PDA

View Full Version : Group Projects are Sew-Sew: Project Runway Teams

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

aftershocks
02-19-2013, 11:18 PM
I think the first 4 seasons of PR were the best. This season is shaping up to be better than I thought, as the team concept for an entire season appears to be working quite well.

When the Dream Team was asked to pick two people from Keepin’ it Real, I thought for sure Daniel would be one of the two, and maybe Kate since she’d won the previous challenge. It’s quite interesting that Benjamin of DT was so perceptive and smart about the dynamics of the other team. Benjamin was on the mark about Stanley being the brains and maybe the glue behind KIR’s triple home-run success. Indeed it was Stanley who got DT on track to win Challenge 4, with his ideas for a cohesive design theme.

Everyone did good work for the Hardware and Flower Store Challenge. Perhaps the weakest designs were by Amanda, Joseph, Richard & Michelle, and Patricia. I thought Patricia might be in the bottom two, and I think Richard & Michelle were lucky not to be. Part of the difference may be that the models for Patricia and for Richard & Michelle really carried off those designs well on the runway, while Amanda’s and Joseph’s models had sad looks on their faces, as if they’d rather be anywhere else. Plus I think the producers and judges respect Patricia’s design aesthetic. Unfortunately for Amanda, everyone on her team dumped on her, maybe because of her attitude and perhaps they felt she wasn’t open to listening and also because many of them had to help her get the design to work. The dynamics will be interesting going forward with Amanda and her teammates.

I think Samantha was lucky to win because she struggled with her design right up to the final day. It seems that the judges were overly enamored of how she trapped the leaves in the wire netting. Kate also saved her design in the end. I thought Benjamin’s look was decent, but his model’s styling was not. Also, he was a bit over-ambitious with setting up the loom in the time frame given, but they were all fortunate to have two days instead of the usual one day. I’m glad Cindy was gone and did not participate in this Challenge. It seems that cruisin essentially was right (in the earlier pre-season 11 discussion in the other PR thread) and I was wrong about PR often picking older designers not necessarily because they think they’re good designers.

I agree that Tu’s design is excellent. Stanley’s look was very strong, and the styling of his model was good too. This was a difficult challenge to choose a winner and a loser, but I think the judges were fairly accurate letting Joseph go, although his design wasn’t horrible. His model sure didn’t help him, and I think the judges really didn’t like the unstructured fit of his design. Taking another look on the PR website, I love the lightness and unique qualities of Layana’s design, and I’d pick her for the win, with Tu second, Stanley third, Samantha fourth, and Kate fifth.

Next week, judging from the preview clip, it appears that the producers are going back to giving the designers one day to accomplish something, with not so good results.

Rob
02-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Both the fringy dresses were good - Amanda's was just a little too short, and Richard's had a little more sparkle.

I thought Benjamin's strapless clingy dress would look awful on Miranda. It would need a completely different construction to fit her properly.

Take a little fabric out of Stanley's skirt so it didn't poof from the waist, and it would be a great dress.

skatesindreams
02-22-2013, 03:58 PM
The designers have no idea of how to flatter a "curvy" figure like Miranda's.

zaphyre14
02-22-2013, 04:09 PM
I was thinking that it would have been better if the designers had curvy models to work with. Most of them didn't seem to get the concept of fuller-figured at all. Although I did think most of the dresses were pretty, just not designed for Miranda.

skatesindreams
02-22-2013, 04:36 PM
If they did we'd get more complaining about designing for "plus-sized" ladies.

PDilemma
02-22-2013, 04:52 PM
If they did we'd get more complaining about designing for "plus-sized" ladies.

I'm sure that Miranda's people made sure any of that was edited out. And I'm not sure that she knows how to flatter her figure, either. So the designers can't really be blamed.

duane
02-22-2013, 09:00 PM
I thought it was funny how some of the designers tried to act all excited when it was announced who they were designing for. Clearly they (like me) had no idea who Miranda was.

I thought Daniel's dress was awful! I think he was spared because of his previous work.

skatemomaz
02-23-2013, 04:27 AM
Patricia's dress was hideous, surprised she was safe, but I guess her partner's dress was good enough to carry the team. I think Michelle or Daniel should have been aufed, both dresses were awful. Matthew's was totally wrong for the challenge, but at least it wasn't an over designed and dated mess. I thought Amanda's dress was the best of the top 4, it would have been more flattering on Miranda and the color was gorgeous.

Ziggy
02-23-2013, 09:59 AM
I also think Amanda should have won. Richard's dress was fun but a little too OTT and tacky.

I agree that Matthew's outfit didn't look cheap and messy like Michelle's or Daniel's but I think it was the right decision to let him go. He's been having confidence issues all along and sabotaged himself. Why should he be given yet another chance?

It's interesting that at the beginning Daniel looked like the frontrunner to win.

But in the last challenge he's made a dress which had a very similar shape to his first (winning) outfit and now he's made a cheap, style-less mess that he thought was amazing.

Yes the handiwork was great but that top did not look flattering, especially for a curvy woman. And I could not believe he seriously did that big apparent seam straight down the middle. It just looked baaaaaaad. And the fringe...

Ziggy
03-02-2013, 06:20 AM
I feel really pissed off. Amanda's dress was just a complete and utter disaster, which you could safely predict from the start given her attitude. I strongly feel that it's the producers that forced the decision to keep her in. She's opinionated, bitchy and provides great drama with her meltdowns. Benjamin's dress was badly fitted but it was nowhere near as much of a disaster as Amanda's.

I felt sorry for Tu. His design aesthetic is amazing but his idea was too ambitious and he ended up not having enough time to fit it properly. I love the chemistry between him and Kate. They really support each other. She showed how insecure she is when she said that her team didn't respect her but he does.

Good work from Daniel. Solid construction and some creative ideas. A big comeback.

I am glad Stanley won. Great design, very well made. Yes, there were some finishing issues but they had just one day so give him a break. Based on what they have made so far, I think he's the best designer this season. He has a sophisticated style and his garments are always impeccably constructed.

Definitely best season ever, the bitchiness is just :watch:.

I especially 'love' all of Michelle's bitchy put downs given everything she's created has been a piece of crap. :rolleyes:

aftershocks
03-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Yep, Amanda knew she should have been the one to go for this challenge. Benjamin's dress had problems but the color was right for his client whom he got along with well (she certainly stood up for him). Amanda picked the wrong fabric and then was clueless about how to make it work.

Daniel's dress from last week was much worse than what Benjamin did this week. PR Teams is a catchy concept but it definitely helps save some designers who deserve to go home and sends others packing before they should be auf'ed.

Nomad
03-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Amanda definitely should have been auf'ed for that confused mess she ended up with. Nothing about it was right. I'm trying to remember what she's made in past episodes but can't even remember what she sent down the runway last week.

skatesindreams
03-02-2013, 03:18 PM
I can't believe that Rachel described that turquoise and black sack as the "most youthful"!

I didn't love Benjamin's dress; but, Amanda's was worse.
I think that it's extremely difficult to execute a completely finished design in one day.

I really wonder about Heidi's "taste"; most of the things she "likes"/would wear, make me go "?????".

skatemomaz
03-02-2013, 04:21 PM
I feel really pissed off. Amanda's dress was just a complete and utter disaster, which you could safely predict from the start given her attitude. I strongly feel that it's the producers that forced the decision to keep her in. She's opinionated, bitchy and provides great drama with her meltdowns. Benjamin's dress was badly fitted but it was nowhere near as much of a disaster as Amanda's.

I felt sorry for Tu. His design aesthetic is amazing but his idea was too ambitious and he ended up not having enough time to fit it properly. I love the chemistry between him and Kate. They really support each other. She showed how insecure she is when she said that her team didn't respect her but he does.

Good work from Daniel. Solid construction and some creative ideas. A big comeback.

I am glad Stanley won. Great design, very well made. Yes, there were some finishing issues but they had just one day so give him a break. Based on what they have made so far, I think he's the best designer this season. He has a sophisticated style and his garments are always impeccably constructed.

Definitely best season ever, the bitchiness is just :watch:.

I especially 'love' all of Michelle's bitchy put downs given everything she's created has been a piece of crap. :rolleyes:

Amanda definitely should have gone over Benjamin.

Michelle hasn't impressed me but she wasn't wrong with her bitchy comments about Patricia. Patricia has produced utter crap, especially the last two challenges. I am glad Heidi at least addressed this by calling her out for that utterly hideous shredded disaster. I felt sorry for her poor model.

PDilemma
03-02-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure Amanda designed that dress so much as that dress accidentally happened. Worst train wreck I've ever seen on this show in that there was no coherent plan involved. A lot of other train wrecks have been sent down the runway, but normally they are a) plans gone awry or b) exactly what the designer wanted in the first place.

She should have gone.