PDA

View Full Version : SAG Awards

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Spareoom
01-28-2013, 02:20 AM
Anyone watching?

BigB08822
01-28-2013, 02:50 AM
I didn't think this was on TV at first because it wasn't on one of the major networks. Now I see that it is on TNT and TBS. Have they done Best Actress yet?

Spareoom
01-28-2013, 02:51 AM
Just did. Jennifer Lawrence won! :D

For the other acting awards, Tommy Lee Jones and Anne Hathaway won best supporting.

BigB08822
01-28-2013, 02:58 AM
OMG, Jennifer won!? YAY! I really want her to get the Oscar but I still have a feeling that Chastain will win that one. I don't think the SAG is a very good predictor for the Oscars, are they? Maybe they used to but I'm trying to think more recently.

Spareoom
01-28-2013, 03:03 AM
I think the actor awards have been fairly accurate (but I'm not sure) but its the Best Picture award that's not as accurate because the Oscars changed their voting criteria and the SAGs didn't.

Case in point, Argo wins best ensamble. I doubt it wins the Oscar.

BigB08822
01-28-2013, 03:06 AM
I wonder when voting was done for this? Do you think Affleck's snub in the director category could have influenced any of the voting? Either for director (who won that?) or the ensemble?

Spareoom
01-28-2013, 03:10 AM
Well, Argo won the GG's too so it's hardly a surprise. I guess the Academy just didn't like the film for some reason.

Daniel Day-Lewis won Best Actor, btw.

Spareoom
01-28-2013, 03:17 AM
Full results; winners are starred.

Male Actor, Supporting
Alan Arkin, Argo
Javier Bardem, Skyfall
Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
**Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln**

Female Actor, Supporting
Sally Field, Lincoln
**Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables**
Helen Hunt, The Sessions
Nicole Kidman, The Paperboy
Maggie Smith, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Male Actor, Comedy Series
**Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock**
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Louis CK, Louis
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Eric Stonestreet, Modern Family

Female Actor, Comedy Series
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
**Tina Fey, 30 Rock**
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family
Betty White, Hot in Cleveland

Ensemble, Comedy
30 Rock
The Big Bang Theory
Glee
**Modern Family**
Nurse Jackie
The Office

Female Actor, TV Movie or Miniseries
Nicole Kidman, Hemingway & Gellhorn
**Julianne Moore, Game Change**
Charlotte Rampling, Restless
Sigourney Weaver, Political Animals
Alfre Woodard, Steel Magnolias

Male Actor, TV Movie or Miniseries
**Kevin Costner, Hatfields & McCoys**
Woody Harrelson, Game Change
Ed Harris, Game Change
Clive Owen, Hemingway & Gellhorn
Bill Paxton, Hatfields & McCoys

Male Actor, Drama Series
Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire
**Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad**
Jeff Daniels, The Newsroom
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Damian Lewis, Homeland

Female Actor, Drama Series
**Claire Danes, Homeland**
Michelle Dockery, Downton Abbey
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: Asylum
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Ensemble, Drama
Boardwalk Empire
Breaking Bad
**Downton Abbey**
Homeland
Mad Men

Female Actor, Lead
Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
Marion Cotillard, Rust and Bone
**Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook**
Helen Mirren, Hitchcock
Naomi Watts, The Impossible

Male Actor, Lead
Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
**Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln**
John Hawkes, The Sessions
Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables
Denzel Washington, Flight

Cast in a Motion Picture
**Argo**
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Les Miserables
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook

michiruwater
01-28-2013, 03:23 AM
Lawrence has won 24 major acting awards so far, one tied with Chastain. Chastain has won 16. My gut tells me Jennifer is still more likely to win the Oscar.

And I'm going to cry if she does. Big, fat, messy tears.

Spareoom
01-28-2013, 03:26 AM
Oh, me too. I was so thrilled for her tonight and she looked VERY surprised and happy. Although I guess she had a little wardrobe malfunction on her way to the stage...her dress had a two-piece skirt sort of thing, and I think it got snagged on a chair on the way down because while she was walking up the steps, the bottom half slipped and she flashed about six inches of thigh. :lol: Only Jen...

BigB08822
01-28-2013, 03:26 AM
I hope you are right, michiruwater!

VIETgrlTerifa
01-28-2013, 03:35 AM
I just don't get Silver Linings Playbook. I thought it was incredibly over-acted and truly unconvincing.

Jennifer Lawrence will probably undeservedly win an Oscar now because she's a hot commodity with many more years to work with the studios to churn out hits. She appeals to all sorts who for some reason or another all have decided they have huge crushes on her. Even David O. Russell, director of Silver Linings Playbook, ogled over her with the camera during the movie.

She won't be the worst winner ever, but after seeing the other nominees plus a few others who weren't nominated, I felt she's clearly the weakest of the bunch (with the exception of maybe Wallis whose performance I loved but am not quite sure if she knew what she was really doing in the film other than reacting the way the director wanted her to). I guess it's to be expected. Her character checks all the boxes. Screaming scene, crying scene, sad scene, sexy scene, dancing scene, quirky but not too quirky, has emotional problems but not too difficult to overcome (yeah loved how the film dealt with her sex addiction so easily), character defined by lead male character, gets to be a little mean to DeNiro who finds it charming, really has a heart of gold deep down her rough exterior, etc.

michiruwater
01-28-2013, 03:49 AM
It's not like she's never been nominated before and came out of nowhere :shuffle: In fact, she's the youngest actress to receive two BA nominations in history.

I've seen everything she's been in except that one horror movie and, unfortunately, SLP, due to my move to China before either of those came out. Oh, and I haven't seen the Bill Engvall Show. But in each of those movies - The Burning Plains, Poker House, Hunger Games, X-Men, The Beaver, Winter's Bone in particular - she was absolutely fantastic, and I have no doubt that she was fantastic in SLP as well. She has a real innate talent. It's fine if you don't agree, and obviously I'm a Jennifer uber, but I don't think many people will agree with you that it is undeserved if she does win. The critics adore her. She has a gigantic fan base, mostly for her talent combined with her hilariously irreverent attitude (which is the reason behind the crushes, I imagine - she doesn't act like a star at all and she's very funny in her interviews/talk show appearances).

But you are right that's a good tactical move on the Academy's part. I won't pretend that's not true - I've said that several times over the last year. She has several guaranteed hits coming out over the next few years - HG and X-men sequels in particular - which basically guarantees that she won't get the Oscar curse. And they do want to appeal to a younger audience. I just don't think that this means that she's undeserving.

Tesla
01-28-2013, 03:51 AM
I think the actor awards have been fairly accurate (but I'm not sure) but its the Best Picture award that's not as accurate because the Oscars changed their voting criteria and the SAGs didn't.

Case in point, Argo wins best ensamble. I doubt it wins the Oscar.

Dunno. Argo won the Producers' Guild award. I think the snub has galvanized it.

I wonder when voting was done for this? Do you think Affleck's snub in the director category could have influenced any of the voting? Either for director (who won that?) or the ensemble?

Directors' Guild awards are next weekend.

VIETgrlTerifa
01-28-2013, 03:54 AM
I've seen Winter's Bone and agree she deserved a nomination for that performance. It was everything SLP was not in that it didn't pander to the audience, go for cheap emotion, and it allowed Lawrence to give a truly nuanced performance from a difficult character to pull off.

I also acknowledge I'm in the minority regarding SLP, which is why I'm being much harsher on it than it probably deserves. I simply didn't get it, and I guess it doesn't feel good to see most people give so much praise to something you yourself simply did not connect with. It also doesn't help that I actually liked all of the actors and the creative team behind SLP in other projects and was really looking forward to seeing it. I guess I was disappointed with something I felt seemed lazy.

As for the Argo thing, I think the director's branch snubbing Affleck really helped Argo in this race. Now the guilds are going full-force in support of it. We'll see if the Academy membership as a whole will reward it to acknowledge the perceived mistake the Director's branch made with snubbing Affleck or if they will show that they do have their own minds and pick another film as Best Picture. The only thing we don't know really is who is going to win the DGA unless someone who is nominated for Best Director wins it.