PDA

View Full Version : Brazil Club Fire 245 Dead

Pages : [1] 2

skipaway
01-27-2013, 04:41 PM
Just shockingly sad. RIP to all who perished.

Brazil Club Fire (http://news.yahoo.com/245-die-panicky-stampede-brazil-club-fire-152020504.html)

This seems to be a common cause of Club fires....when will they learn?

The band that was onstage began to use flares and, suddenly, they stopped the show and pointed them upward. At that point the ceiling caught fire. It was really weak but in a matter of seconds it spread,"

beepbeep
01-27-2013, 04:55 PM
The oficial death toll has been updated: 232 dead, 131 injured.
The identification of the bodies started a while ago.

I live in this state, and Santa Maria is not that far away form the city capital, where I live.

Everyone is in absolute shock.
Santa Maria is an University city, so a lot of kids form the rest of the state go there to study.
The result is that everyone knows someone that knows someone or has family there.
It becomes even more personal. A friend of mine has 2 cousins that were on that party and the family feels the worst has happened to them.
I'm still absolutely numb.

There are many rumors: that security had the doors briefly closed, so people wouldn't leave without paying, because they thought it was something minor.
There were no emergency exits, just the front door, unsignalized. People rushed to the bathrooms, thinking they were the emergency exits. All of those people died of asphixiation. Firemen broke the wall from the outside, trying to get people out.
The fire started after the band used some pyrotchnics on the stage, that hit the highly flammable acoustic protecction. The place, which had no windos, was filled with black, thick smoke within 2 or 3 minutes.

purple skates
01-27-2013, 05:04 PM
(((beepbeep))) (((your people)))

Buzz
01-27-2013, 05:19 PM
My heart and prayers go out to the victims and their families. The death toll is just shocking. ((((beepbeep)))

Cachoo
01-27-2013, 05:23 PM
That is so sad and horrific.

Vash01
01-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Just saw this on CNN. What a horrible tragedy! My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

Wyliefan
01-27-2013, 10:12 PM
:eek: How horrible!

MikiAndoFan#1
01-27-2013, 10:17 PM
How sad. :( :(

duane
01-27-2013, 10:41 PM
There were no emergency exits, just the front door, unsignalized.
Wow, I thought emergency exits were required for all clubs. Perhaps not in Brazil?

beepbeep
01-27-2013, 10:45 PM
I should report that my friends cousins were found, alive, in separate hospitals. I don't know much more than that.

Up to now, about 180 have been identified.:(
More people are expected to to become/sick die in the next few days, as effects of breathing smoke in those that seemed fine at that moment take 24 to 48h to take their toll.
:( :(

Cachoo
01-27-2013, 10:51 PM
I wish your friends--all of the victims who made it out alive---a speedy recovery. I'm so sad for all of those families who lost loved ones.

beepbeep
01-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Wow, I thought emergency exits were required for all clubs. Perhaps not in Brazil?

It depends on the place. A friend of mine has a pub with just the front door. Fiscalization came in when he was about to open and told him where to put the fire extinguishers, lights to mark the way out and where him and his staff should be trained to deal with fires. He did what he was told, and it was good to go.

But that was a place for 2000 people!! I don't think they called in someone to really check for safety.It's a chain of errors. Law states the minimum for security, and that is just what most nightclub owners do. They'll do just enough to be legal, regardless if it would be enough for the real safety to people when the place is packed. And just what the law states is what some auditors look for. Add a bit of corruption and there you go.

The place's permit to function (I don't know if this is how it's said) from the city's fire department was expired, but that verification came a bit too late...

Rex
01-27-2013, 11:05 PM
It's been on CNN most of the afternoon. How utterly horrible. Those poor people.

susan6
01-27-2013, 11:58 PM
But that was a place for 2000 people!! I don't think they called in someone to really check for safety.It's a chain of errors. Law states the minimum for security, and that is just what most nightclub owners do. They'll do just enough to be legal, regardless if it would be enough for the real safety to people when the place is packed. And just what the law states is what some auditors look for. Add a bit of corruption and there you go.

The place's permit to function (I don't know if this is how it's said) from the city's fire department was expired, but that verification came a bit too late...

Safety clearly wasn't in the owners' minds, considering that the max capacity of the club was apparently around 1000 and they had 2000 people in there.

skatesindreams
01-28-2013, 12:11 AM
I wish your friends--all of the victims who made it out alive---a speedy recovery. I'm so sad for all of those families who lost loved ones.

As do I!