PDA

View Full Version : Cops called to break up figure-skating fight

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Really
01-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Check the Canadian Nationals forum -- there's a whole discussion about the incident in there.

Katarzyna
01-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Young men, copious amounts of beer, and pretty girls. Sounds like a recipe for a good ol' bar fight to me! I don't care what country they're from! (yes, I know it wasn't in a bar...)
Thank you for the tip! And off to the Canadian Nationals forum to check out! :D

leafygreens
01-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Sure, only low level skaters behave badly! High level skaters of course are all saints! :saint:

And now, they will not be allowed to become high-level skaters...

laceup
01-23-2013, 06:12 PM
And now, they will not be allowed to become high-level skaters...

Except all the current skaters I know who were involved are already on the National Team. ;)

leafygreens
01-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Except all the current skaters I know who were involved are already on the National Team. ;)

So Slipchuk was lying.

bmcg
01-23-2013, 07:07 PM
So Slipchuk was lying.

Well the Slipchuk quote says "any of our notable or high-profile team members." Laceup says they are all on the National team. One does not equal the other.

Jenny
01-23-2013, 07:07 PM
So Slipchuk was lying.

Not necessarily. He didn't say anything about national team members - here is the quote:

Mr. Slipchuk emphasized that the incident didn’t involve “any of our notable or high-profile team members. Our top skaters do not get involved in things like that.”

I'm certain that in speaking with mainstream media, he was talking about the skaters they would have heard of, ie Chan, Virtue & Moir, maybe a couple of others. I think it was his way of saying "there's nothing of broader interest here, just a little incident that we can take care of internally, no story for you to pursue."

TheIronLady
01-23-2013, 07:32 PM
The journalist knew he had a good one when he quoted that. It was one of those things where he intended to say what Jenny said but ended up sounding ridiculous. Lol...

leafygreens
01-23-2013, 08:34 PM
I would equate national team with high-profile. "Move along, nothing more to see here." Not that I blame him but damage control is sometimes funny.

bmcg
01-23-2013, 08:50 PM
There are names on the national team that are hardly notable or high profile. But if you are hellbent on insisting Slipchuk was lying than pretend away.

Jenny
01-23-2013, 09:42 PM
I would equate national team with high-profile.

That's because you are a skating fan. To the mainstream press, and most of Canada, there are only three skaters on the national team who are high profile.

Jot the Dot Dot
01-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Much rather see two cuties mud-wrestling. Rachael & ElTuk, anyone?

laceup
01-23-2013, 10:32 PM
I would equate national team with high-profile. "Move along, nothing more to see here." Not that I blame him but damage control is sometimes funny.

Yes, I think National team is high profile. But can't blame Slipchuk for trying to do some damage control. Most of the skaters involved are off to Worlds, Jr Worlds or 4CC. Not sure how they feel about not being "high-profile"?

bmcg
01-23-2013, 10:41 PM
I imagine if they took a moment to look at a definition they'd say yeah, I'm not high-profile.

high pro·file
Noun
A position attracting much attention or publicity.
Adjective
Attracting much attention or publicity.

I would say Chan, V&M and now Katelyn Osmond are the most high-profile skaters SC has. Radford had his fluff piece during Nationals so he and Megan got a bit of publicity. Weaver and Poje get some attention. Outside of them no one else on the National Team gets much, if any, publicity. We know about them because we are not average skating fans.

TheIronLady
01-24-2013, 12:21 AM
Why is there so much brouhaha about who was in the fight? It is amusing because skaters brawling -- particularly Canadian skaters-- is simply ironic. We all know Canadians are too polite to even ask the British Queen to stop ruling them. :lol: I don't care who the skaters were.

The police probably didn't arrest anyone. We know Canadian police don't arrest drunk people for beating each other up. They politely ask them to lower the volume, eh. Or if someone did get a little physical and arrested, this carousing person learned a good lesson. Just because they wear costumes and twirl in the air doesn't mean they always have to live like angels.