PDA

View Full Version : Repeating Kindergarten

Pages : 1 [2]

TheGirlCanSkate
01-25-2013, 12:27 AM
Adding - when faced with a difficult schooling situation, I found the mantra of "think only about the next year" to be calming. Don't think about when he can drive or grow a beard. You never know how your local school will change by that time. There may be a great charter, the boundaries might change, you could switch schools down the road due to a job change, there might be a private school option or home school, interdistrict transfers, open enrollment, etc.

So when making your decision, just work with the next year in your mind. There are just too many options to look beyond the next year of schooling. Find the best fit.

algonquin
01-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Thank you so much to everyone that has taken the time to post your thoughts. I re-read everything before I left for the meeting this afternoon. The meeting went very well. In a nutshell, they feel that my son still needs the social aspect of kindergarten and I don't disagree. So, they gave me three options,

1. Have him repeat kindergarten.
2. Get special permission for him to attend kindergarten all day every day next year. (Right now, he goes all day Monday, Wednesdays and indicated Fridays.)
3. Half days in grade one and half days in kindergarten.

The resource teacher strongly recommended number 3, so that my son would get core academics and learn desk skills. The class teacher recommended putting him with a Monday, Wednesday kindergarten class, so that he is with the same kids and teacher. She also said that that would leave Tuesday and Thursday for my son to leave school a bit early for his speech therapy appointments.

I didn't commit to anything yet, but half day grade one and half day kindergarten feels right.

Really
01-25-2013, 11:29 PM
I like the 3rd option as well. He will benefit from the academic challenge of grade 1, but still have the opportunity to develop his social skills in a less difficult (critiquing, threatening, intimidating -- I'm struggling for the right word) environment.

jp1andonly
01-26-2013, 05:25 AM
We have a k/1 at our school and I had a child that I recommended be held back put into this classroom for this exact reason....