PDA

View Full Version : Waiter refuses to serve customer who insulted Down's Syndrome boy

Pages : [1] 2

Cyn
01-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Kudos to this server who stood up for what is right :respec:

Article (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/19/houston-waiter-refuses-to-serve-customer-who-insulted-down-syndrome-boy/?test=latestnews)

Michael Garcia, a waiter at Laurenzo's, was serving a family who have been regulars since the restaurant opened. The family includes 5-year-old Milo, who has Down syndrome.

*snip*

But a customer at a nearby table who was also with his family began making comments about Milo.

The customer got up from the table and moved his family to another table further away from Milo, but still in Garcia's serving section. Garcia said the man continued talking about Milo and said, "special needs children need to be special somewhere else."

"My personal feelings took over because that's ignorance in my opinion and I told him 'Sir, I won't be able to serve you,'" Garcia tells FoxNews.com.

:mad: :angryfire:

The customer who made the obnoxious comment chose to leave the restaurant. It's not in the article linked above, but I read in either another one or on a Houston-based blog that the manager of the restaurant stood by Garcia's decision not to serve this twonk.

It amazes me that an adult can be that insensitive, narrow-minded, and downright cruel regarding a five year-old child. If Milo had been throwing a tantrum or behaving in a manner that was way out of line, it would have been understandable to want to change tables. However, this kid wasn't out of control, screaming, or doing anything to bother other patrons, but for this guy to snot off by saying that "special needs children need to be special somewhere else" is beyond reprehensible.

After speculating on this for a few moments, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this ass-clown's own kids have likely acted like holy terrors in public places, but because they were his own spawn, their behavior was excused.....And if someone so much as implied that they needed to dial it down a notch, he would fly into a rage to defend them.

paskatefan
01-20-2013, 09:49 AM
Good for the server!

Karina1974
01-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Awesome story! :respec:

ChelleC
01-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Good for him!!!

barbk
01-20-2013, 03:05 PM
That's a guy deserving of a BIG tip. Good for him. And good for his manager backing him.

Reuven
01-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Good for him!!! The Down syndrome children and adults I’ve met all have the sweetest temperament. We can learn a lot from them in dealing with our fellow humans.

skatesindreams
01-20-2013, 05:52 PM
That's a guy deserving of a BIG tip. Good for him. And good for his manager backing him.

Indeed!

Jayar
01-20-2013, 05:56 PM

Serving a child with Down's Syndrome is likely enough tip :)

judiz
01-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Good for him. glad the manager backed him up.

Smiley0884
01-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Glad the manager backed him up too. Having worked in a couple of restaurants in the past, I'm not sure I could imagine many of my managers backing me up in a similar situation.

Anita18
01-20-2013, 08:44 PM
If I'd witnessed this, I'd have given him a BIG tip too! :cheer:

cruisin
01-20-2013, 08:58 PM
What a fantastic person! So glad his manager backed him up. We need more people to stand up for others like that. Thanks for sharing that Cyn.

Zemgirl
01-20-2013, 09:04 PM
The customer is most certainly not always right. Good on Garcia for doing the right thing and his manager for backing him up; I hope the positive attention will get them a lot of business.

I also hope this won't result in any unwanted attention for Milo's family, though I'm sure they're happy that this positive message will be getting across.

Wyliefan
01-20-2013, 09:50 PM
:cheer2: Good for him!

Latte
01-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Good for him, I would give him a big tip.