PDA

View Full Version : Which of these jump "firsts" was the most significant and impressive?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

briancoogaert
01-17-2013, 01:06 PM
I think that the quadruple jump of Miki Ando is most significant and impressive, because she was only one woman who not only succeeded it the first in 2002 but also continued to challenge it till 2008 of the most recent year.
I admire Miki for trying them, but her attempts are all under-rotated, I feel bad for Surya Bonaly, she would have been credited for the first quad. ;)

bardtoob
01-17-2013, 03:22 PM
I admire Miki for trying them, but her attempts are all under-rotated, I feel bad for Surya Bonaly, she would have been credited for the first quad. ;)

I totally agree. That 4T was clean.

Vash01
01-17-2013, 04:30 PM
I admire Miki for going for the quad, regardless of whether it was fully rotated or not. This is the kind of attitude - challenging oneself to do more and more difficult jumps- has disappeared with the coming of COP.

Vagabond
01-17-2013, 05:15 PM

Apparently, national pride, like love, makes one blind.

Ando did fully rotate that quadruple salchow in the Junior Grand Prix Final. Go back and look at the video in Post #1 and then check the protocols. IIRC, she also landed one at Japanese Nationals. She never did a fully rotated one in senior-level international competition, though.

Bonaly's quadruple toe loop attempts in competition were a bit short on the final rotation, though if they were being judged under CoP, they might be marked as "4T" rather than "4T<."

Skate Talker
01-17-2013, 05:59 PM
I have to go with Donald Jackson. It was so clean and so integrated into a clean as a whistle performance. It stole the show and the gold medal from certain defeat. It was widely seen and therefore had great effect.

briancoogaert
01-17-2013, 06:59 PM
National pride ? PML ! So, I guess you're from Japan ! ;)
On this video you're talking about, you can clearly see she ends the rotation at 3.5 turn, then finishes the jumps on the ice.
http://youtu.be/Fi1331g-qcI?t=24s
Surya Bonaly's 4Toe are not any better, though.

Tony Wheeler
01-17-2013, 07:26 PM

Ando did fully rotate that quadruple salchow in the Junior Grand Prix Final. Go back and look at the video in Post #1 and then check the protocols. IIRC, she also landed one at Japanese Nationals. She never did a fully rotated one in senior-level international competition, though.

As briancoogaert already pointed out, Ando's 'clean' quad Salchow was nowhere near clean. Second, the protocols? :huh: You do realize this was a 6.0-system competition, yes?

care bear
01-17-2013, 07:32 PM
I vote for 3 Lutz of Denise Biellmann because I can remember it very well and I loved her skating.

Lainerb
01-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Miki Ando's quad at 2008 GPF was sooo close. Really I wish they gave her the benefit of the doubt one of the best attempts at the quad in ladies skating.

Lainerb
01-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Miki Ando's quad at 2008 GPF was sooo close. Really I wish they gave her the benefit of the doubt one of the best attempts at the quad in ladies skating. Despite the rotation issues in that program it was so technically ambitious.

AYS
01-17-2013, 08:14 PM
For me, it is hands down Dick Button's achievement(s), especially since the poll included both his double axel and triple loop.

TheIronLady
01-17-2013, 08:29 PM

What??? Credited by blind judges? Or corrupt French ones? Miki's 4s is high and she has the quad technique. IIRC what Surya saw fit to include in her programs as "quads" were unfortunate.

Akira Andrea
01-17-2013, 11:11 PM
I would like to evaluate Miki Ando very much because she was the only woman who not only succeeded the quad Salchow jump in the ISU official competition in 2002 under old judging system but also continued to challenge it till the very recent year such as 2008 under the new judging system which was adopted from 2004.
Almost women did not even attempt the quad except Miki Ando, because they were afraid of the 'downgraded evaluation' which may suffer under the new judging system.
I think that Miki Ando is the true athlete which has the courage not to fear even risk to challenge a difficult skill.

RFOS
01-17-2013, 11:22 PM
I know it's not on the list, but David Jenkins' 3axel in 1957! :eek: It wouldn't be landed in competition for more than 20 years, and not with as good of a landing (OK, David's takeoff is a funky looking and pre-rotated, but come on :P).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2unFSmlNjI

Aussie Willy
01-18-2013, 01:03 AM
I know it's not on the list, but David Jenkins' 3axel in 1957! :eek: It wouldn't be landed in competition for more than 20 years, and not with as good of a landing (OK, David's takeoff is a funky looking and pre-rotated, but come on :P).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2unFSmlNjI
I am surprised he never attempted that in competition because it wasn't bad at all.