PDA

View Full Version : Favorite US National Ladies champion in the post-Michelle Kwan era

Pages : [1] 2 3

Vash01
01-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Michelle Kwan dominated the US nationals, winning straight 8 from 1998 to 2005 titles, plus th e1996 title.

In post Michelle (also pre-Michelle) era no lady truly dominated the US natonals. Of these (2006-2012), who is your favorite US national champion?

skateboy
01-12-2013, 06:22 AM
For me it was a toss-up between Sasha and Alissa. I went with Sasha.

l'etoile
01-12-2013, 06:43 AM
I voted for Sasha, but I was surprised that I was even weighing between her and Ashley. I think Ashley will take the dominating place if she wins the title this year.

TheIronLady
01-12-2013, 09:05 AM
I think you should not have included Sasha in the poll because she is going to win overwhelmingly. She was really from the "Kwan era." The 2007 onward period has been more of its own era of national champs in my opinion.

Katarzyna
01-12-2013, 12:59 PM
I think you should not have included Sasha in the poll because she is going to win overwhelmingly. She was really from the "Kwan era." The 2007 onward period has been more of its own era of national champs in my opinion. TheIronLady – I think you raised a good point here, but on the other hand Michelle’s era regarding Nats on paper ended in 2005, as she competed and won the last time then. The next year Sasha was the winner. I loved her classical, balletic skating, so I voted for her. :cheer:

I always thought she was really unlucky having to skate in the "Kwan-era" for overwhelming part of her own eligible career. :(

briancoogaert
01-12-2013, 02:04 PM
I admit, I'm the one who voted for Rachael.
I was so happy for her at this moment.

lulu
01-12-2013, 02:45 PM

I like Rachael too. :)

Vash01
01-12-2013, 06:25 PM
I think you should not have included Sasha in the poll because she is going to win overwhelmingly. She was really from the "Kwan era." The 2007 onward period has been more of its own era of national champs in my opinion.

Not necessarily. Alissa and Ashley are very popular on this board. Also Sasha competed in 2006, when Michelle did not compete. So she is a post-Michelle Champion, IMO. If you look at the numbers, she is only slightly ahead of Ashley.

kwanatic
01-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Sasha was in Michelle's era regardless if she never beat her at nationals so I wouldn't include her. Though it was nice to see her finally win.

I think it's better to judge from this new crop of skaters. In that case I would vote for Ashley. She had the most dominant performance of all of the ladies listed, though Alissa's 2011 win was very convincing too...can't say the same thing about 2009 (that was a gift). Besides the next year she started to regress back into her old habits.

Given the competition last year there was no doubt Ashley was the clear winner. I've said it a million times: she's the only champion who actually acts like a champion. None of the other ladies on this list have carried the title as well as she has this year. Her drive and determination along with her competitiveness makes her stand out...

My vote goes with Miss S'Wagner. :respec:

Vash01
01-12-2013, 06:48 PM

Rachael was really good those days, and I too was happy for her. She was the most consistent jumper and she was working on her presentation. She seems to have lost it all, but at last year's US nationals she skated a great LP and I joined in the standing ovation. I was so happy for her just for skating well.

Vash01
01-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Sasha was in Michelle's era regardless if she never beat her at nationals so I wouldn't include her. Though it was nice to see her finally win.

I think it's better to judge from this new crop of skaters. In that case I would vote for Ashley. She had the most dominant performance of all of the ladies listed, though Alissa's 2011 win was very convincing too...can't say the same thing about 2009 (that was a gift). Besides the next year she started to regress back into her old habits.

Given the competition last year there was no doubt Ashley was the clear winner. I've said it a million times: she's the only champion who actually acts like a champion. None of the other ladies on this list have carried the title as well as she has this year. Her drive and determination along with her competitiveness makes her stand out...

My vote goes with Miss S'Wagner. :respec:

The point here is she did not compete against Michelle in that competition. If she had, she might not have won the title.

Jot the Dot Dot
01-12-2013, 07:31 PM
I like Rachael too. :)

I like Rachael myself, but I have to go with Sasha as being the one who really set the bar.

Maofan7
01-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Sasha Cohen - if only she had held it together in the FS at the 2006 Olympics, the Olympic title would have been hers.

shine
01-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Beatrisa Liang.

Vash01
01-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Beatrisa Liang.

Did she win the US nationals? Not in my memory.

I wanted so much for BeBe to skate well, but she always made mistakes. She had so much potential at age 12 or 13!