PDA

View Full Version : Favorite US National Ladies champion in the post-Michelle Kwan era

Pages : 1 [2] 3

mustafinabars
01-13-2013, 01:27 AM
My favorite U.S lady skater since Kristi Yamaguchi is definitely Sasha Cohen. She may not have the medals but in pure skating ability she is better than both Kwan and Yamaguchi I think. My favorite since Cohen would be Czisny, Nagasu, and Wagner.

mustafinabars
01-13-2013, 01:28 AM
Did she win the US nationals? Not in my memory.

I wanted so much for BeBe to skate well, but she always made mistakes. She had so much potential at age 12 or 13!

Even when she skated well she didnt always get great scores. She skated outstanding at the 2005 Nationals which was a weak competition was still placed 5th behind Kwan, Cohen, Meissner, and Jenny Kirk.

DimaToe
01-13-2013, 03:04 AM
I really like Ashley , but I had to go with Mirai :D...I can't believe it's almost 5 years since Nagasu won her U.S title, time goes by too fast :shuffle:

michiruwater
01-13-2013, 03:15 AM
Sasha, for sure :cheer2:

TheIronLady
01-13-2013, 03:22 AM
Sasha is really too good for this poll in my opinion. What would be more interesting to know would be what skater would be the second choice of the 30+ who have voted for Sasha so far. I suppose it would be between Ashley and Alissa, but I myself am a bigger fan of Mirai.

NadineWhite
01-13-2013, 03:24 AM
I honestly love them all, but my heart goes to Rachael. :) Still, if I had to choose I couldn't, I would vote for each and every one because each brought something unique and special, and that's the truth.

For instance, to go down the line I would say the following:

Ashley Wagner ~ brought fire & passion & FIGHT; her "Black Swan" ranks amongst my favorite of all-time.
Alissa Czisny ~ lovely, lovely, lovely. "La Vie en Rose" is Alissa.
Rachael Flatt ~ skated with heart & soul and fight as well. Her "EOE" & "Firebird" are her signature pieces imho.
Mirai Nagasu ~ youngest female to ever win Nationals, says it all, and I've always said she's the only American woman that can honestly go head to head with Yuna Kim and win, BUT that means at Mirai's absolute best. 'nuff said.
Kimmie Meissner ~ heart, soul, determination, kindness, beauty. Deserving World & National Champion, which she will always be known as, and rightfully so.
Sasha Cohen ~ could've been the best ever, but it's not for trying, she DID! *cheers* Still, Olympic Silver Medalist is nothing to sneeze at. *cheers*

Now I wonder what history has in store for us all, as she's always thrown us a loop when we least expect it. ;)

Vash01
01-13-2013, 04:31 AM
My favorite U.S lady skater since Kristi Yamaguchi is definitely Sasha Cohen. She may not have the medals but in pure skating ability she is better than both Kwan and Yamaguchi I think. My favorite since Cohen would be Czisny, Nagasu, and Wagner.

Sasha had more flexibility than Kwan and Yamaguchi, but no way she had better pure skating ability. Compare the edges on Kwan's spirals, for example, with Sasha's and Kwan wins hands down. I don't know if you have seen Michelle skate in person, but she is so much better than what you see on TV.

Out of those three, Kwan had the best basic skating skills, and even Kristi had better basic skating skills, and both were more consistent jumpers (I know the latter does not count toward basic skating). If you take out the flexibility, Sasha was not a great skater. She was just more beautiful to watch.

TheIronLady
01-13-2013, 05:28 AM
Out of those three, Kwan had the best basic skating skills, and even Kristi had better basic skating skills, and both were more consistent jumpers (I know the latter does not count toward basic skating). If you take out the flexibility, Sasha was not a great skater. She was just more beautiful to watch.

Kristi was kind of inconsistent. She couldn't do a 3S. Her 3L was problematic. Kristi was a better competitor with more than enough talent, but she also had jumping inconsistencies. She was fortunate that she did not have anyone like Kwan, Hughes, or Arakawa around in her day.

Vash01
01-13-2013, 05:37 AM
Kristi was kind of inconsistent. She couldn't do a 3S. Her 3L was problematic. Kristi was a better competitor with more than enough talent, but she also had jumping inconsistencies. She was fortunate that she did not have anyone like Kwan, Hughes, or Arakawa around in her day.

Kristi was a very consistent jumper even as a pro. She could consistently land 3 lutzes and 3 flips even after she turned pro. The 3 sal was always her problem jump, but it does not make her an inconsistent jumper.

Kwan is the only one that was a more consistent jumper than Kristi.

Hughes consistently underrotated her jumps and was given the benefit of doubt by the judges. Plus she did not stick around very long. So I would not count her as a consistent jumper.

Arakawa had two really good competitions in her entire career- the 2004 worlds and the 2006 Olympics. She had a long but very inconsistent career.

Kristi's mistakes at the 1992 Olympics were uncharacteristic of her.

TheIronLady
01-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Kristi was a very consistent jumper even as a pro. She could consistently land 3 lutzes and 3 flips even after she turned pro. The 3 sal was always her problem jump, but it does not make her an inconsistent jumper....

...Kristi's mistakes at the 1992 Olympics were uncharacteristic of her.

I know that Kristi grew as a pro, but during her eligible career the 3S she blew quite often, not just at the Olympics. It was also blown at the 1991 Worlds and 1992 Worlds.

IceAlisa
01-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Well, as a Sashafan I voted Sasha. :duh:

After that I love Ashley and Alissa about the same, both bring such wonderful qualities to skating, different but awesome skaters. Mirai...like most of you, I expected so much more from her. She is somewhere in the middle. Kimmie who? Rachael...the less I say about this, the better.

Vash01
01-13-2013, 09:29 PM
I know that Kristi grew as a pro, but during her eligible career the 3S she blew quite often, not just at the Olympics. It was also blown at the 1991 Worlds and 1992 Worlds.

The inability to do one jump does not mean she is an inconsistent jumper overall. She was the most consistent jumper in all the other jumps that ladies were doing then, and even now. Now they just skip the jumps they have difficulty with, but Kristi went for all the jumps, except the 3A, and she just had difficulty with the 3S.

TheIronLady
01-13-2013, 09:48 PM
The inability to do one jump does not mean she is an inconsistent jumper overall. She was the most consistent jumper in all the other jumps that ladies were doing then, and even now. Now they just skip the jumps they have difficulty with, but Kristi went for all the jumps, except the 3A, and she just had difficulty with the 3S.

You and I were comparing her to Sasha, and we both know Sasha also went for all the jumps.

I agree somewhat with with your assessment of Cohen's rivals. I concur that Arakawa was not known for consistency until 03-04. She was an underachieving hot mess for many years, and even in 04-05.

Hughes did get away with incomplete triples, but then so sometimes did Michelle Kwan. Kwan's just weren't quite as under-rotated as Sarah's abominable 3Lz, but this did not matter because Sarah and Michelle met the standards of the day. Both were fierce in the game competitors with good extension and spin elements.

I do not think you can say Yamaguchi was as consistent as Hughes and Kwan. Yamaguchi fell on, doubled, or popped something--and always the 3S-- at 90 Worlds, 91 Worlds, 92 Olympics, and 92 Worlds. The rivals of her day were all unreliable performers. There was no one as consistent as Hughes or Kwan. There was arguably no one besides Kristi who was more consistent than Sasha in 90-92!

judgejudy27
01-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Well Kerrigan was on every major podium that Yamaguchi won gold at, and we all know Kerrigan was making atleast 3 major mistakes and never landing more than 4 triples before her fall of 93 newfound training regime, so if that is all Kristi had to beat, she indeed didnt have to face much or be super consistent to stay on top. That said I would say Kerrigan once she focused on singles was very consistent. The 92 Olympics is one of the only times she made 2 mistakes in a program (if doubling a triple salchow even counts as a mistake). She was only inconsistent when she was trying to do too much by focusing on both pairs and singles, while school figures were still around to boot.

Why on earth would Yamaguchi she never faced someone like Arakawa. Shizuka was one of the most inconsistent top skaters EVER bare none. She basically was a glorified journeywomen who somehow happened to win a World and Olympics at the end of a decade plus long senior skating career, capatilizing on her rare good skates coming when the favorites fell apart, and despite no other finishes higher than 8th, lol!

Cheylana
01-13-2013, 11:10 PM
I honestly love them all, but my heart goes to Rachael. :) Still, if I had to choose I couldn't, I would vote for each and every one because each brought something unique and special, and that's the truth.

For instance, to go down the line I would say the following:

Ashley Wagner ~ brought fire & passion & FIGHT; her "Black Swan" ranks amongst my favorite of all-time.
Alissa Czisny ~ lovely, lovely, lovely. "La Vie en Rose" is Alissa.
Rachael Flatt ~ skated with heart & soul and fight as well. Her "EOE" & "Firebird" are her signature pieces imho.
Mirai Nagasu ~ youngest female to ever win Nationals, says it all, and I've always said she's the only American woman that can honestly go head to head with Yuna Kim and win, BUT that means at Mirai's absolute best. 'nuff said.
Kimmie Meissner ~ heart, soul, determination, kindness, beauty. Deserving World & National Champion, which she will always be known as, and rightfully so.
Sasha Cohen ~ could've been the best ever, but it's not for trying, she DID! *cheers* Still, Olympic Silver Medalist is nothing to sneeze at. *cheers*

Now I wonder what history has in store for us all, as she's always thrown us a loop when we least expect it. ;)
Beautifully stated! Worthy US champions, all of them.
Just one nitpick: Tara Lipinski is the youngest U.S. champion, not Mirai :)
I picked Sasha, though I guess she technically was part of the MK era. She is one of only a few skaters who made me say "wow" at first sight!