PDA

View Full Version : DOG OWNERS: Recall of pet treats - please read and pass on

Pages : [1] 2

judiz
01-10-2013, 10:41 PM
There have been reports of dogs getting violently ill and some reports of deaths within hours of eating the treats listed below.

MILO’S KITCHEN® VOLUNTARILY RECALLS CHICKEN JERKY AND CHICKEN GRILLERS HOME-STYLE DOG TREATS
San Francisco – January 9, 2013 – Milo’s Kitchen® today announced that it is voluntarily recalling its Chicken Jerky and Chicken Grillers home-style dog treats from retailer shelves nationally. No other Milo’s Kitchen® products are affected.

Waggin Train/Canyon Creek Jerky Treat Recall

Nestlé Purina PetCare Company and its wholly owned subsidiary Waggin’ Train, LLC today announced it is voluntarily withdrawing its Waggin’ Train and Canyon Creek Ranch brand dog treats sold in the United States until further notice.

Artistic Skaters
01-17-2013, 09:47 PM
My dog loved, Loved, LOVED those chicken wrapped yams when they came out several years ago. But I had to stop buying her the made-in-China dog treats after reading about all those problems. Both the Milo's Kitchen & the Waggin Train treats are made-in-China, at least the ones I regularly see at the store.

We switched to made in Colorado or USA. Twice the cost, so dogs only get them half as much. But worth it. They also have treats that are like dried sweet potato jerky & they love those.

Cachoo
01-17-2013, 11:27 PM
my dog loves the duck jerky from Waggin Train and I've heard the chicken treats have problems but I have not heard anything about the duck jerky.

BittyBug
01-17-2013, 11:33 PM
This is like the never ending story. :(

judiz
01-18-2013, 02:13 AM
I no longer buy any dog treats made in China for my dog, there are plenty made in the USA, you just have to look for them.

Cachoo
01-18-2013, 02:44 AM
Sure enough: The Waggin Train was cleared from the shelves but Milo's remains on the shelf (at least today.) Thanks for the heads up or I would have purchased Milo's since Waggin Train is kaput. Oh well...my canine companion likes dolphin safe tuna (I don't think she cares about the dolphins but I do.)

myhoneyhoney
01-18-2013, 03:06 AM
Ugh, I'm so tired of reading these, I'm going to have to start making treats for my dog instead of buying them.

judiz
01-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Sure enough: The Waggin Train was cleared from the shelves but Milo's remains on the shelf (at least today.) Thanks for the heads up or I would have purchased Milo's since Waggin Train is kaput. Oh well...my canine companion likes dolphin safe tuna (I don't think she cares about the dolphins but I do.)

Only the Milo products made with chicken were recalled but if those are still on the shelf, you may want to mention it to the manager, the recall came from the manufacturer and some stores only rely on FDA recall notices. I found the treats on the shelves at Walgreen's and CVS, told the managers about the recall and then and stood in the aisle until they were removed.

mrr50
01-18-2013, 12:23 PM
I make my own dog treats, it's easy. The problem with USA made treats is that IN THE PAST (meaning I don't know if this still happens) ingredients from China were used. When this happens it does not have to be listed on the label because it was made in the USA.

Carolla5501
01-18-2013, 12:58 PM
I no longer buy any dog treats made in China for my dog, there are plenty made in the USA, you just have to look for them.

This is my rule too. And if I can't find the orgin it stays in the store.

I am the world's worst baker sp Caseu doesn't want me to make treats. :)

Artistic Skaters
01-18-2013, 08:55 PM
This is my rule too. And if I can't find the orgin it stays in the store.
The problem with so many of them is that the "Made in China" notation is in EXTREMELY small type (sometimes is looks like not more than 2 pts type size) on the package. It is very easy to miss, so your rule is a good one.

We have tried to become less reliant on the chicken or beef jerkey & give more biscuits, & that seems to be working out well. These are the new favorites of my dog & my daughter's dog:

Fruitables: http://fruitablespetfood.com/fruitables_products.html

KikiSashaFan
01-18-2013, 10:38 PM
I give my dogs chunks of apple, carrots or frozen banana instead of store bought treats. They love them.

Cachoo
01-18-2013, 10:42 PM
I make my own dog treats, it's easy. The problem with USA made treats is that IN THE PAST (meaning I don't know if this still happens) ingredients from China were used. When this happens it does not have to be listed on the label because it was made in the USA.

What sort of ingredients do you use?

KCC
01-18-2013, 11:56 PM
I give my dogs chunks of apple, carrots or frozen banana instead of store bought treats. They love them.

My dog likes sugar snap peas.

myhoneyhoney
01-19-2013, 04:10 AM
I'm going to buy the ingredients and see of my little hot dog (he's a miniature dachshund) likes this dog treat recipe. (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/dog-treats-i/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=dog%20treat&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page)