PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Brunch--Should I Bring A Hostess Gift?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ageless
01-09-2013, 11:50 PM
My former manager is having a group of ladies from the old office over for brunch on Saturday. It's just a casual thing, but I'm wondering if I should bring a small hostess gift. Any ideas?

RobbieB
01-09-2013, 11:53 PM
My rule of thumb, is yes. Whenever I'm invited over I try to take something. Just as a kind of thank you for taking the time to have us over. I usually go with flowers or wine. If its brunch though, maybe a basket with some fruit. Flowers would be a good option too...

maatTheViking
01-10-2013, 12:00 AM
To me flowers is always nice (unless person has weird thing against flowers/allergic - but most people aren't), because it doesn't seem like a 'real gift', so if no one else brings something it is OK, but you don't arrive empty handed.

BittyBug
01-10-2013, 12:14 AM
As long as the flowers are already arranged and in a vase. Otherwise, the gift is actually creating a burden on the hostess, who will then have to worry about finding a vessel, trimming the stems, putting them in water, etc.

Other little hostess gifts that are low key:

- Linen tea towels
- Soap sampler
- Candle
- Something edible (could be a few jars of nice jam or mustard, a nice bottle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, etc.)
- Chocolates

cruisin
01-10-2013, 12:31 AM
Flowers, a bottle of wine, chocolates, cookies from a bakery.

Habs
01-10-2013, 02:37 AM
As long as the flowers are already arranged and in a vase. Otherwise, the gift is actually creating a burden on the hostess, who will then have to worry about finding a vessel, trimming the stems, putting them in water, etc.

For that reason, I like to take a small, potted plant in a pretty pot as a hostess gift. Less fuss, lasts longer and can be just as pretty!

Lacey
01-10-2013, 02:45 AM
Dark chocolate covered almonds.

numbers123
01-10-2013, 03:19 AM
One of the first things I would consider - is it the norm for your area to bring hostess gifts. Before everyone jumps all over me and say that it is always appropriate, cultural norms/standards can differ across the world.
If so, I would think about what you know about your former manager. Did she have candies on her desk? if so, what were they? - that would probably mean more to me than some of the other suggestions, you would remember what I liked.

BigB08822
01-10-2013, 03:43 AM
For that reason, I like to take a small, potted plant in a pretty pot as a hostess gift. Less fuss, lasts longer and can be just as pretty!

If someone brought me a plant I would be thankful but in reality it would be a burden. I never remember to water those things and then the next time that person comes over you feel embarrassed that the plant is long gone. Unless I knew the person liked to take care of plants then I would not bring that to someone.

maatTheViking
01-10-2013, 03:48 AM
I would never consider having to find a vase a burden - a vase makes it a much larger gift, and who knows if the recipient likes the style? (The only time I appreciated not having to worry about a vase was when I got flowers after my son was born. I had enough to look after :P)

So, yeah, I agree that customs differ a lot! Bringing wine would be considered odd as a hostess gift in Denmark, for instance, in most cases.

Garden Kitty
01-10-2013, 04:16 AM
I'd typically bring something, and if it were a dinner party or evening event, I'd probably bring wine . But for a brunch, I'd either bring some nice bakery cookies from the bakery near me, or I I knew the manager would like it, a couple of nice teas/coffee or chocolates of some sort.

Angelskates
01-10-2013, 10:21 AM
I would only take something that could be consumed as part of the brunch. I would never take flowers unless I knew them (and their families) well. I would consider everything in BittyBug's list, except the chocolates, a PITA. I don't want anymore soap samplers, candles or jars of food I'll never eat! These are, for me, the over-given obligation gifts that people have too much of and never use...if I'm given any of them (or little tiny bottles of bath/shower gel) it's a sign you don't know me well but feel like you need to give me a gift. Each year I give a bunch of them away to other people/charities.

Aceon6
01-10-2013, 01:25 PM
For a brunch, I'd bring a bag of premium coffee, or, if I knew there would be lots of tea drinkers, a sampler of premium teabags. If they choose to use it right then, great, but they can use it at their convenience.

TheGirlCanSkate
01-10-2013, 04:55 PM
I usually do the standard bottle of wine and try to dress it up. I also tell the host that it is for her for later. Most events I go to are with larger families and I've started bringing donuts or bagels or bake muffins or a coffee cake and juice for the next day. I figure after going to the effort to plan an event, they will want to take it easy the next day. :D

PeterG
02-26-2013, 11:43 PM
When I saw this thread title, my first thought was, "I thought Hostess went out of business!!" :P