PDA

View Full Version : Hissing Cat Awakens Mother

Pages : [1] 2 3

skipaway
01-07-2013, 08:47 PM
to find a Python wrapped around her 2 year old daughter's arm. :yikes:
Python (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/python-baby-mom-wrapped-cat-175346395.html)

This quote from the article :yikes: again

Last month, a 3-year-old Australian boy escaped injury after a collection of eggs he had found in his Queensland yard and stashed in his bedroom closet "hatched into a slithering tangle of deadly snakes."

and this

Also in December, a childcare center in Darwin was forced to be shut down before Christmas because of a snake infestation. According to ABC Australia, snake catchers who were called in when a baby python was spotted found a nest with 23 baby pythons and 41 hatched eggs inside a wall

Time for Australia to import some mongooses (mongeese?)

IceAlisa
01-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Glory to the kitty for alerting the parent! :cat: :respec:

Aussie Willy
01-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Glory to the kitty for alerting the parent! :cat: :respec:
I agree.

The kid with the snake eggs was a funny one.

Wiery
01-07-2013, 09:29 PM
:cat: Good kitty! :swoon:

maatTheViking
01-07-2013, 09:41 PM
When my friends moved to Australia, her facebook updates were pretty funny:
'Went for a walk with kid. Saw xxx. Didn't touch, they are very poisonous. Warning to stay on path serious'
'checking garden for snakes before kid goes to play'
'new garden, unfortunately with stone fence. Holes can hide yy spiders, they are very poisonous'.
'saw platypus in zoo, super cute (also, poisonous)'.

my conclusion is that everything in Australia is dangerous!

what a good kitty!

IceAlisa
01-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Not moving to Australia! I am terrified of snakes. Also, not moving to South Africa. A friend who lived there said she regularly found snakes in the house and garden. The best thing for me is to stay in a urban area where snakes fear to tread (or slither as the case may be).

mkats
01-07-2013, 09:59 PM
I have always loved snakes, but dreaded spiders. Things with too many legs scare me; things without legs are just fine.

I always pick up earthworms when I see them washed out onto the sidewalk when it rains, and put them back in the grass/dirt where they won't get stepped on. :shuffle:

Artemis@BC
01-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Time for Australia to import some mongooses (mongeese?)

I'm sure that was at least a partly facetious comment ... but I'll give it a serious answer: importing a foreign species to get rid of a "pest" problem is never, ever a good idea. Foreign species become invasive species in no time, and getting rid of them is next to impossible. Just ask Jamaica about what happened when they introduced mongooses.

And as if Australia didn't already have enough troubles with invasive introduced species! (those dastardly rabbits!)

But definitely :scream: the snakes and :cheer: the kitty!

duane
01-07-2013, 10:35 PM
I have always loved snakes, but dreaded spiders. Things with too many legs scare me; things without legs are just fine.
Same here. I'm fascinated by spiders, but dread them as well. I HATE centipedes!!

madm
01-07-2013, 10:41 PM
Not moving to Australia! I am terrified of snakes. Also, not moving to South Africa. A friend who lived there said she regularly found snakes in the house and garden. The best thing for me is to stay in a urban area where snakes fear to tread (or slither as the case may be).

Or you could have the all-night noise and home invasions from African penguins near Cape Town. At least they are cute and not poisonous.
http://arbroath.blogspot.com/2012/10/residents-outraged-as-endangered.html

And then there are the baboons on the Cape Peninsula that stop at nothing to open your car, purse, picnic basket or whatever to get at food!
http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/24/14668061-monkey-business-baboons-raid-tourists-car?lite
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/07/090724-southafrica-baboons-video-ap.html

If you're going to live near wildlife on the fringes of suburbia, there are bound to be conflicts. Even in the U.S. we have close encounters between homeowners and mountain lions, coyotes, skunks, poisonous snakes and spiders, etc.

Aussie Willy
01-07-2013, 10:58 PM
None of you would like to visit my place. I have heaps of spiders around and are always cleaning cobwebs around outside. Here is a picture of one of our special spiders called a huntsman. Very common.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/Huntsman-spider-in-hand.jpg

I work with a South African who has told me about a couple of their spiders. Vicious nasty things.

maatTheViking
01-07-2013, 11:13 PM
If you're going to live near wildlife on the fringes of suburbia, there are bound to be conflicts. Even in the U.S. we have close encounters between homeowners and mountain lions, coyotes, skunks, poisonous snakes and spiders, etc.

The city I live in is a suburb to a suburb to Seattle, and about 20 years ago I was told there were only a few loggers/farmers and forest here. Today there are 30k + people. Our kitties are indoor kitties because of the coyotes and raccoons.

Last summer there were a story in the local paper of someone having a black bear in the back yard!

but at least it is not poison! :P

Alex Forrest
01-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Is this satire? "The snake [had] not in any way, shape or form intended to eat the baby," Tex Tillis, who runs Tex's Snake Removals, told the Daily Telegraph. "It was trying to have a group hug."

Umm, a python wrapped around my kid would be one hell of a dead python. Group hug, my ass.

And WTG, kitty. Kitty seems to have more sense than everyone in this town.

IceAlisa
01-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Or you could have the all-night noise and home invasions from African penguins near Cape Town. At least they are cute and not poisonous.
http://arbroath.blogspot.com/2012/10/residents-outraged-as-endangered.html Penguin home invasions? It sounds funny but I bet it is not. I'll take penguins over venomous snakes and constrictors any day though.

suep1963
01-07-2013, 11:40 PM
My cousin lived in Singapore for a number of years. They had to watch out for cobras in the backyard.