PDA

View Full Version : Which new senior lady can break up the top 5 at worlds 2013?

Pages : 1 [2]

floskate
01-03-2013, 09:56 AM
A lot of the variables here are going to come down to what PCS are awarded, as well as who the caller is. I hope Mao skates well - she's due a good Worlds after the last two years, but I agree it's by no means a certainty. But even if she does, she'll be susceptible to under-rotations and if the caller is Shin Anamo she's doomed :( In a scenario where the ladies SP is well skated and everyone is clean (I know a BIG if :lol:), the newbies will have no chance of being anything more than 6-10 just due to the PCS, but should be within striking distance for the free where we could see a lot of movement. As to who that might be, my bet would be Tuk or Osmond with a home crowd behind her. Adelina has become a headcase and Gracie has yet to get out of Nationals.

lulu
01-07-2013, 02:49 AM
My first inclination is to say Tuk., but after reading the thread, I can also see the arguments for Osmond and Sotnikova as well. Ladies used to be my least favorite discipline, but this season, I've enjoyed watching the discipline so much. Probably one of the reasons is that there are so many talented skaters, a number of whom have a legitimate chance at a medal and/or cracking the top five spot at worlds. Even among the talented, but more inconsistent skaters, who probably won't land in the top 5 or maybe even 10 at Worlds (and some who are not on the national team at all), I've really enjoyed their programs and/or skating this year. Skaters such as Gedevanishvili, Gao, Meite, Makarova and Leonova.
Ladies is much less Ladiezzz to me now. ;)

Even though Kiira is not a newbie to the scene, I agree with Proustable that she also has a real chance to end up in the top five as well.

olympic
01-08-2013, 05:37 PM
I'd say any of Tuk, Osmond and Gold. Sotnikova's LP is a load o' crap this year, so even if she were to skate it well, I don't think the judges will go for it.

Tantallongirl
01-08-2013, 09:48 PM
I watched Katelyn Osmond compete at the Skate Canada Challenge competition last month and she had the audience on their feet when she finished. It has been a long time since I saw a female skater show such passion, and charisma on the ice. I think Katelyn is going to put Canadian ladies figure skating back on the map! She is young, enthusiastic, consistant, and a breath of fresh air for Skate Canada.

babayaga
01-10-2013, 12:56 AM
I voted for Adelina, I think her scoring potential is the highest among the listed ladies if she is clean, but if Mirai Nagasu makes it to Worlds she could be another candidate for top 5. I miss her, hope she returns to the list of top ladies soon :(

Sylvia
01-10-2013, 04:30 AM
I am not sure about Murakami (not on the list, but one of the young, upcoming skaters). She could finish in the top 10, but I am not sure she can develop into a podium finisher. She may just develop into a top 5 skater (make me eat my words, Murakami!:lol:)
I think Kanako Murakami wasn't listed in the poll because she finished 5th at 2012 Worlds. :)

Poll's current standings:
Adelina Sotnikova 5 4.10%
Gracie Gold (if she is there) 11 9.02%
Kaetlyn Osmond 26 21.31%
Elizaveta Tuktamisheva 77 63.11%
Zijun Li 3 2.46%
Other (explain who) 0 0%

Macassar88
01-10-2013, 04:35 AM
I'd say Tuk because of her amazing jumps
A 10 triple Tuk could amass amazing TES

pinky166
01-10-2013, 02:01 PM
If Shin Amano is the technical caller at Worlds, I have a feeling Kanako won't be able to repeat her top 5 finish at this year's worlds. As she's grown and matured with puberty, her rotation speed has slowed down and, although some fans like to call her URs bogus, from my perspective, a lot of the time her jumps look suspect in real time, so the issue is definitely there. I had worried that would happen for a while as her technique is not good and even the season when she won the JGPF and JW, the jumps were often suspect in regards to rotation, and that was about 10 cm and 10 kg ago...

kwanatic
01-10-2013, 02:53 PM
^^IDK, I'm one of the ones who feels as though she gets URs when she doesn't deserve them. Kanako doesn't always get all the way around but she usually hits that quarter turn mark, however she's never given the benefit of the doubt.

Kanako often starts the season URing most of her jumps but by nationals she gets herself together. It happened last season and it's happened this season too. Kanako will probably be one of the only ladies going for a 3-3 in the 2nd half of her SP and she will probably add the 3-3 to her LP in the bonus as well. I say she should go for it. Her programs are lovely again this year and if she skates well (and Amano isn't being an @$$hole) then she has a good shot at making top 5 again.