PDA

View Full Version : Please Say a Prayer for My son's Friend's Family

Pages : [1] 2

cruisin
12-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Last night a high school friend of my son's passed away. He overdosed. He had struggled with addiction since his 1st year of college. A bright young man with so much potential. He went to Princeton on a baseball scholarship. Pitcher. Injured his shoulder first season and could no longer play. Princeton let him stay however. That was when he started self medicating. He did two stints in rehab. We all thought he was doing so much better. He graduated and was looking at career options. He died in his mother's home, his (live-in) girlfriend and brother found him. This is just so devastating. My heart is breaking for his family, my son, and his other friends. We know it was an opiate, but not much more. So, everyone with kids - give them an extra hug today (and every day). Let them know how valuable they are, no matter what. And say a little prayer for this boy's family, that they find peace.

Wiery
12-31-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm so sorry. :(

victoriajh
12-31-2012, 08:24 PM
How sad :( sounds like he had the world at his fingertips for a while there ..... Wishing his family healing and peace

Really
12-31-2012, 08:28 PM
Damn drugs.

UGG
12-31-2012, 08:29 PM
I am sorry to hear. I will say a prayer.

Whitneyskates
12-31-2012, 08:47 PM
What a terrible tragedy :( His family definitely has my prayers.

overedge
12-31-2012, 09:07 PM
That's so sad. Prayers going out to them.

Vagabond
12-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Princeton doesn't give athletic scholarships. :shuffle:

My condolences.

Anita18
12-31-2012, 09:52 PM
Princeton doesn't give athletic scholarships. :shuffle:

My condolences.
Couldn't it have been a private baseball scholarship he went to Princeton on?

I'm so sorry. :( Sending supportive vibes.

My friend lost a 14-year-old relative to an overdose. Her first party, someone passed her something and she had an immediate reaction and people panicked and didn't call the ambulance for a long time. Terrible.

skatemommy
12-31-2012, 09:56 PM
Oh hon I am so sorry. Praying now for his family. So much tragedy recently.

Vagabond
12-31-2012, 10:58 PM
Couldn't it have been a private baseball scholarship he went to Princeton on?

I don't think such a thing exists; I don't believe the NCAA allows outside sources to pay a student's tuition and fees on the condition that the student belongs to a particular varsity team.

It's most likely that the young man either had some other sort of scholarship (academic, for example), was on financial aid, or simply was good enough to make the Princeton baseball team. Regardless, let's be clear here. Princeton admits students on merit. In order to be admitted, he must have been both smart and accomplished, and not just on the baseball field.

barbk
01-01-2013, 01:01 AM
I'm so sorry, for him, for his girlfriend and family, and for your son and family and the others who knew him. Such a loss.

lulu
01-01-2013, 01:49 AM
I am so, so sorry. :( Saying a prayer and sending loving thoughts to all of his family and friends.

CanuckSk8r
01-01-2013, 02:10 AM
Regardless of how he ended up at Princeton, this is so sad. Thoughts and prayers for those affected.

Lacey
01-01-2013, 03:48 AM
IIRC, the Ivies are not permitted to call monetary benefits they give their athletes "scholarships." I believe they are permitted by league rules to give up to one half of the total cost, and it is usually applied as room and board, not for the academics. Some athletes might only receive 1/4 of the total college costs, others might get none, depending on the athlete's qualifications and the specific sport. I am very glad to hear that the student was permitted to return to the school even after he was injured. Such a sad story.