PDA

View Full Version : Gift ideas for homebound friend?

Pages : [1] 2

Anita18
12-16-2012, 06:31 AM
So my friend with pancreatic cancer is still kicking. :cheer: But he's super-weak from the chemo and can't go out much. And when the pain gets too bad, he locks himself in his room so he doesn't get snippy at his family. :(

We're trying to think of what we could send him to keep his mind busy and entertained. He can't even watch TV anymore because of the food commercials. They make him depressed over what he can't eat anymore. :(

Any ideas?

MacMadame
12-16-2012, 06:52 AM
You can get him a tv series he likes on DVD so there won't be commercials.

Does he have any hobbies that he can do on the computer?

Anita18
12-16-2012, 07:16 AM
You can get him a tv series he likes on DVD so there won't be commercials.

Does he have any hobbies that he can do on the computer?
Hmm, I know he used to play Minecraft, but I don't know if he still does. Not sure if he's into TV series (or whether he'd want them in French or English) but I will consult mutual friends and find out. :)

paskatefan
12-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Does he enjoy music? Perhaps some favorite music CDs and a radio/CD player?

Aceon6
12-16-2012, 03:22 PM
You might consider a "get our of jail" day with appropriate equipment and support. Lots of hospice organizations offer them. He picks the activity, and they set up the rest. It's not inexpensive, so it might be a good group gift.

Another nice thing might be getting a go box from his favorite restaurant. Even if he has a small appetite, the smells and companionship might be a nice gift. Read Roger Ebert's book for inspiration on enjoying food without eating it.

Garden Kitty
12-16-2012, 03:38 PM
I like the ideas that people have already given in this thread. I'm assuming that all types of food/beverages are out given the limits you mentioned. One other thing I've sometimes given to friends in similar situation is a lap quilt or throw. I think the main thing that really helps in this situation is his knowing that you are thinking about him so even more than a gift a card with a nice handwritten message will be a wonderful gift. If you have any pictures that are meaningful to him or that you'd think he'd enjoy, send along copies (or even do a photobook on one of the sites like shutterfly or snapfish).

Tesla
12-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Sorry for the stupid question, but can he write? Puzzle books might be a good distraction. There are so many different types that he's sure to find something.

ETA I don't know how weak he is.

Vash01
12-16-2012, 07:30 PM
I am so sorry for your friend. I wonder if something simple, like flowers may cheer him up?

Can he still read? What about buying him books that may cheer him up, or be philosophical (if he has that inclination)?

Lara
12-16-2012, 09:31 PM
An e-reader might be nice as he wouldn't have to go out to purchase a new book, and they're so light it's easy to hold even when feeling weak. (((Anita's friend)))

pat c
12-16-2012, 09:50 PM
What about making him a cd of famous comedy routines? Anything that can get a smile would go a long ways and it helps with the pain. (I know a strange kind of an idea, but...)

cruisin
12-16-2012, 09:58 PM
An e-reader would also allow him to get audio books. That is a great Idea Lara.

Wyliefan
12-16-2012, 10:11 PM
What about making him a cd of famous comedy routines? Anything that can get a smile would go a long ways and it helps with the pain. (I know a strange kind of an idea, but...)

Combine this with the audiobook idea and get him some Dave Barry audiobooks. They are SO much fun.

Praying for your friend.

Lara
12-16-2012, 10:43 PM
An e-reader would also allow him to get audio books. That is a great Idea Lara.

Unfortunately most newest ereader models don't tend to do audiobooks (the Nook Simple Touch doesn't and I don't believe the Kindle Paperwhite does) so that's something she'd have to look out for.

TheGirlCanSkate
12-16-2012, 10:56 PM
What about a subscription to netflix? He can watch online. Lots of tv, movies, series etc and no commercials.

cruisin
12-16-2012, 11:01 PM
Unfortunately most newest ereader models don't tend to do audiobooks (the Nook Simple Touch doesn't and I don't believe the Kindle Paperwhite does) so that's something she'd have to look out for.

Maybe a group of friends can chip in for an iPad.