PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Connecticut elementary school shooting - 20+ dead (incl gunman)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

skatingfan5
12-14-2012, 09:12 PM
So, perhaps we should all have mandatory psych evals and those who exhibit sociopathic tendencies should be legislated since this seems to be the bigger issue.:confused: Those with sociopathic tendencies should be legislated? In what way?

cruisin
12-14-2012, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=Vash01;3771428]

That is incorrect. The parents were divorced and the father lives in another state. There are no reports that he was murdered. The brother was killed and he was found in the mother's house. The mother was killed at the school. There are reports that the guns belonged to the mother. There will be soooooo many clues that this man had mental issues after the fact which is sad. So, perhaps we should all have mandatory psych evals and those who exhibit sociopathic tendencies should be legislated since this seems to be the bigger issue.

Are there two brothers? Because it's being reported that his brother is in custody. Or, at least being questioned.

genevieve
12-14-2012, 09:15 PM
There may be three brothers - one shooter (dead), one killed by the shooter prior to going to the school, one talking to police (not considered a suspect)

Jenny
12-14-2012, 09:16 PM
I wish the media would remember that it's more important to have the correct story than it is to be first.

Amen to that.

cruisin
12-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Even that isn't straightened out. Sounds like the shooter's brother (who was originally identified as the shooter) is in for questioning but isn't a suspect.

I wish the media would remember that it's more important to have the correct story than it is to be first. And I say this as a former journalist.

Agree.

Rob
12-14-2012, 09:30 PM
A lot of the news outlets are pulling the names off their websites as it is not certain which brother did what. I also saw a report that a man in camoflage pants was found in the woods by the school and was taken in for questioning.

Jenny
12-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Might have just been speculation, but the Globe and Mail said the shooter might have been carrying his brother's ID.

Rex
12-14-2012, 09:40 PM
This is awful. Those poor children...I have no words.

Whitneyskates
12-14-2012, 09:41 PM
I am sick and angry over this. This didn't have to happen. How many more people have to be killed, how much longer do people have to live in fear that they're gonna die for simply walking into a mall, and how many parents are going to send their kids to school fearing that that will be the last time they see their child.

I'm sick of hearing about owning guns being our constitutional right. We once had a constitutional right to own slaves, things change. Now we will hear the patronizing speeches from all the politicians talking about what a tragedy this is. Yes, it's a tragedy, it's a tragedy that our government basically says is perfectly fine because guns are awesome and is our right as Americans to own. If one of us happens to use one to mow down 20 innocent kids, eh, price you pay for freedom, suck it up and buy another gun.

PRlady
12-14-2012, 09:41 PM
God. When I first heard of this tragedy, I immediately thought of the mass shooting in Scotland about a decade ago where that man shot that entire Kindergarten class...

And Scotland responded with some of the strictest gun control laws in the world. And there have been no more mass shootings.

I am filled with such rage and fury and frustration. I will never forget the night in 1999, eight weeks after Columbine. I was still working late at night and my boss, the president of the Brady Campaign came in from the Hill. The Senate had just passed a law sponsored by Senator Larry NRA Craig which actually loosened the gun show loophole. My president who had been the legislative force behind the Brady bill and assault weapon ban said, more than twenty kids just died and the Senate made it easier to get guns. The look on his face was indescribable.

Fast forward now and every single gun law is weaker or non-existent. Concealed carry is a right in every state. The CDC can't access gun tracking data for public health research, it's illegal. Not even police chiefs have access to ATF data. The individual right to a weapon is now enshrined in our constitutional law thanks to the Miller case and gun sales are up sharply because Obama is going to "take them away."

I am so sad and so sickened.

Jenny
12-14-2012, 09:53 PM
The two news sites I'm following haven't had updates in more than 30 minutes - wonder if media are just getting around the fact checking.

cruisin
And Scotland responded with some of the strictest gun control laws in the world. And there have been no more mass shootings.

I am filled with such rage and fury and frustration. I will never forget the night in 1999, eight weeks after Columbine. I was still working late at night and my boss, the president of the Brady Campaign came in from the Hill. The Senate had just passed a law sponsored by Senator Larry NRA Craig which actually loosened the gun show loophole. My president who had been the legislative force behind the Brady bill and assault weapon ban said, more than twenty kids just died and the Senate made it easier to get guns. The look on his face was indescribable.

Fast forward now and every single gun law is weaker or non-existent. Concealed carry is a right in every state. The CDC can't access gun tracking data for public health research, it's illegal. Not even police chiefs have access to ATF data. The individual right to a weapon is now enshrined in our constitutional law thanks to the Miller case and gun sales are up sharply because Obama is going to "take them away."

I am so sad and so sickened.

Concealed Carry is not a right in every state. It is not one here. The problem is how do we know someone is carrying a gun, unless they try to use it. We have states with laws that say you cannot carry a concealed weapon, but how do we enforce that? Can police subject people to random pat downs? We need to stop the sale of guns. We need to make the sale of assault rifles and hand guns illegal. don't gat me wrong, I still think we should have laws against concealed carry, but we need to go farther than that.

They are now saying 20 children have died :(

gkelly
article with facts about gun violence (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/14/nine-facts-about-guns-and-mass-shootings-in-the-united-states/)

Jenny
12-14-2012, 10:02 PM
cnn.com

We are now being told there was no body found in the Hoboken, New Jersey, home as had been previously reported.

Jeez, where did this info come from? It's been "reported" everywhere!

Vash01
12-14-2012, 10:08 PM
The networks are showing live statement + Q&A from law enforcement. They are still investigating, so they cannot answer some questions, but they said every student has been accounted for (including those who were home, sick), and they have informed every parent.

MSNBC confirmed that 20-year old Adam Lanza was the gunman.