PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Connecticut elementary school shooting - 20+ dead (incl gunman)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

genevieve
12-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Now they're reporting it was not Ryan, but his brother Adam Lanza who is the shooter and the 2 weapons used were his mother's weapons.
this is all I could find on that - the info is all over the place. This report says Ryan is the one being talked to by police
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/potential_connecticut_school_shooting_8HMOSbP38TXw SYYsVGkYLO

20 children, six adults, and the perpertrator all dead at the school, so 27 at scene, one dead at another location in the same town, so 28 total, and one injured at hospital. No mention of NJ?
New Jersey? I'm not following...

Jenny
12-14-2012, 08:53 PM
The police spokesman would likely not report on something outside his jurisdiction.

Southpaw
12-14-2012, 08:57 PM

I read that the gunman's brother lives in Hoboken and he killed him, too.

Vash01
12-14-2012, 08:57 PM
this is all I could find on that - the info is all over the place. This report says Ryan is the one being talked to by police
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/potential_connecticut_school_shooting_8HMOSbP38TXw SYYsVGkYLO

From what is being reported, Ryan Lanza is from Hoboken, NJ. Earlier report said that one of his parents was found dead at their NJ home. Since his mother was teaching school in CT, I am assuming that it was the father who was killed in NJ. I don't think it's been verified yet. There have been conflicting reports.

Since news is still coming in, it may be a while before they figure out what really happened.

skatingfan5
12-14-2012, 08:59 PM
New Jersey? I'm not following...As with all breaking news stories, there is a lot of partial and misinformation reported in the early hours. Someone had posted earlier in this thread that the shooter had first killed his mother in New Jersey and then come to the Connecticut school. Later reports mentioned his father and a family home in Connecticut.

ETA: Southpaw and Vash have added other versions of the purported New Jersey connection.

Southpaw
12-14-2012, 08:59 PM
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2012/12/hoboken_police_bring_in_two_ro.html#incart_maj-story-1

Lacey
12-14-2012, 09:00 PM
I know it's a big story, but I wish they would take the photos and videos of the surviving kids off the television, they deserve their privacy.

genegri
12-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Sandy Hook is the name of a well known state park in NJ. I totally jumped to conclusion that it happened in NJ until I read further.

I feel the worst for the poor parents. Don't know how they can cope. I know I wouldn't be able to.

Tesla
12-14-2012, 09:02 PM
I messed up.

Tesla
12-14-2012, 09:03 PM
http://www.wtnh.com/dpps/news/national/source-says-20-year-old-suspect-had-ties-to-school-nd12-jgr_5089480#.UMuTVKwW7wd

The official also said Ryan Lanza's girlfriend and another friend are missing in New Jersey.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, the official said the suspect is dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Why can't these lunatics kill themselves before taking other lives?

cruisin
12-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Which just goes to show how we need consistent gun control laws across each state and the nation as a whole. As tough as Connecticut may or may not have been, the shooter was allegedly from New Jersey and could have gotten his guns from any of the surrounding areas.

What a tragedy.

And, ironically NJ has some of the toughest gun control laws in the country.

I don't know if the shooter/brother's names have been straightened out yet. But, one is dead, the other in custody. There was just talk of an arrest in Hoboken. They are also talking about the shooter's girlfriend and a friend of hers being missing, somewhere in NJ. The police are looking for them. Not sure if they think they are involved, have info, or may be hurt.

I'm confused by the link Southpaw gave us. It says: "Ryan Lanza, the man identified as the shooter. Lanza has denied the charge to a former Jersey Journal staff writer.". So, do they think the gunman is dead or do they think the living brother did it? Or both?

skatesindreams
12-14-2012, 09:09 PM
The more we learn about this tragedy, the worse it gets.
My prayers and sympathy to all affected.

rfisher
12-14-2012, 09:09 PM

From what is being reported, Ryan Lanza is from Hoboken, NJ. Earlier report said that one of his parents was found dead at their NJ home. Since his mother was teaching school in CT, I am assuming that it was the father who was killed in NJ. I don't think it's been verified yet. There have been conflicting reports.

Since news is still coming in, it may be a while before they figure out what really happened.

That is incorrect. The parents were divorced and the father lives in another state. There are no reports that he was murdered. The brother was killed and he was found in the mother's house. The mother was killed at the school. There are reports that the guns belonged to the mother. There will be soooooo many clues that this man had mental issues after the fact which is sad. So, perhaps we should all have mandatory psych evals and those who exhibit sociopathic tendencies should be legislated since this seems to be the bigger issue.

Habs
12-14-2012, 09:10 PM
And, ironically NJ has some of the toughest gun control laws in the country.

I don't know if the shooter/brother's names have been straightened out yet. But, one is dead, the other in custody.

Even that isn't straightened out. Sounds like the shooter's brother (who was originally identified as the shooter) is in for questioning but isn't a suspect.

I wish the media would remember that it's more important to have the correct story than it is to be first. And I say this as a former journalist.

AxelAnnie
12-14-2012, 09:11 PM
It is the same sicko who drives their two children into a lake and drowns them so she can have an affair, the same sicko who explodes his house, killing himself and two kids........because the police may be getting closer to finding out what he did to kill his wife,and the same sicko who kidnapped those two cousins in Iowa......and the list marches on and on,

It is just beyond rational thought.