PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Connecticut elementary school shooting - 20+ dead (incl gunman)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

jeffisjeff
12-14-2012, 07:52 PM
I am a complete mess over this. I cannot imagine how this school's community is reacting. And how will elementary schools across the country deal with this? I can only hope my two elementary schooler kids have not heard about this yet, because I just don't know what to say.

burntBREAD
12-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Here's the a-hole facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/rlanza

Someone posted screenshots of this guy making Facebook statuses right now, so it might not be the right person.
http://static01.mediaite.com/med/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/A-GU_PwCUAAQgFA-208x300.png

genevieve
12-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Here's the a-hole facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/rlanza
That is NOT the correct Ryan Lanza:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/is-this-connecticut-school-shooter-ryan-lanzas-facebook/ (scroll down)

Vash01
12-14-2012, 07:56 PM
As per MSNBC, President Obama is expected to make a statement at 3:15pm EST. He has canceled the rest of his events for the day, to focus on this.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
12-14-2012, 07:57 PM
I wish the news anchors would stop saying how horrible it is right before the holidays. Why do people say that? I've heard that before in other cases. Losing a family member in such a senseless violent way wouldn't be any easier in the middle of the summer. Geez. Maybe they don't mean it that way but it's just bothering me.

Even the children who escaped with their lives... they are still going to have emotional issues. I hope Lanza is burning in hell. How could he do something like this? Even if he was allegedly angry with his parents those children had nothing to do with whatever family drama he felt he was having. I feel so horrible for those parents who aren't going to get to pick up their children and bring them home.

I'm still in shock.

duane
12-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Is it true that it was the shooter's mum's class he fired on?

Someone here at work said the guy killed his father at home, went to the school where his mother works as a kindergarten teacher, shot her and then fired on the classroom full of her students.

ilovesalchows
12-14-2012, 08:00 PM
I apologize for posting that page, fake Ryan Lanza.

I am just so upset by this, I have a 5 year old little boyin pre-k at this moment, I can't even imagine.

lulu
12-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Someone here at work said the guy killed his father at home, went to the school where his mother works as a kindergarten teacher, shot her and then fired on the classroom full of her students.

God. When I first heard of this tragedy, I immediately thought of the mass shooting in Scotland about a decade ago where that man shot that entire Kindergarten class...

ArtisticFan
12-14-2012, 08:05 PM
I wish the news anchors would stop saying how horrible it is right before the holidays. Why do people say that? I've heard that before in other cases. Losing a family member in such a senseless violent way wouldn't be any easier in the middle of the summer. Geez. Maybe they don't mean it that way but it's just bothering me.

Even the children who escaped with their lives... they are still going to have emotional issues. I hope Lanza is burning in hell. How could he do something like this? Even if he was allegedly angry with his parents those children had nothing to do with whatever family drama he felt he was having. I feel so horrible for those parents who aren't going to get to pick up their children and bring them home.

I'm still in shock.

Agree. To say it is more tragic because it happened just before the holidays diminishes the situation in some ways. Would it have been less tragic in May? October? February? If one of the dead wasn't from a family that celebrates the upcoming holidays is the death of that person less tragic? The situation is tragic and horrific no matter how you look at it no matter when it happened.

That being said the news anchors are often in a tough spot. Reporters and producers are gathering the news and feeding that information to the anchors. They have to say something and often times are left saying what is in their own mind and heart at that moment. They are sitting there with information being shoved in front of them, appearing on screens and even being shouted in their ears. All the while they have to communicate and sound coherent, logical, and believable.

Sylvia
12-14-2012, 08:05 PM
God. When I first heard of this tragedy, I immediately thought of the mass shooting in Scotland about a decade ago where that man shot that entire Kindergarten class...
Dunblane, Scotland (tennis player Andy MURRAY [corrected] was in the school that day).

ETA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_school_massacre

Habs
12-14-2012, 08:06 PM
A truly horrific tragedy
Those poor parents :fragile:

I can't even begin to imagine.
My heart breaks for the teachers and staff at the school as well.

floskate
12-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Dunblane, Scotland (tennis player Andy Roddick was in the school that day).

That would be Andy Murray. I cannot comprehend this tragedy at all. Those poor poor children, innocent staff and all their families and friends.........just no words :(

ETA: that link posted about the other Ryan Lanza is outrageous journalism.

topaz
12-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Dunblane, Scotland (tennis player Andy Roddick was in the school that day).

Andy Murray is the tennis player from Dunblane, Scotland who was in the school when the shooting happened.

To this day, Andy is pretty mum when asked about this. It's not something he talks about, EVER.

lulu
12-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Andy Murray is the tennis player from Dunblane, Scotland who was in the school when the shooting happened.

To this day, Andy is pretty mum when asked about this. It's not something he talks about, EVER.

I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for Andy and all of the other Dunblane students and how difficult it's going to be for the Newport children, teachers, staff and families.

I still remember that Newsweek cover after the Dunblane shooting with the class photo of the kindgergarten class & their teacher, who was also killed in the shooting.

Per MSNBC, Obama orders flags at half-staff

Sparks
12-14-2012, 08:23 PM
The President was so broken up...like the rest of us. ((crying))