PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Connecticut elementary school shooting - 20+ dead (incl gunman)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38

Rob
12-21-2012, 08:53 PM
It was EST so it would have been early your time. If you heard churchbells, that was it.

AragornElessar
12-24-2012, 05:05 AM
Well, it's now officially Midnight here and Christmas Eve.

I just wanted to suggest that as we're all settling down to Christmas Eve or Christmas Day Supper w/your Family, depending on which day you have your big meal on, we take a moment to stop and either say a prayer for or think of the Families of all who lost loved ones a week ago. As hard as the Funerals were, the next two days are going to be just as, if not even more so, hard to cope w/and get through for them.

It's just a thought.

puglover
12-24-2012, 07:08 AM
I just feel so terribly torn about this tragic shooting and the hard questions everyone is trying to answer after the fact. This struck very close to home for me and although I do not know the dynamics in the Lamza household and how his mother handled things - I feel like I am watching one similar, in least in some ways very close to home and I feel so powerless to do anything. My daughter is marrying a wonderful young man from a fine family. He has an older, successful, married brother, my future son-in-law is a great young man with a secure future - there is also a younger brother in the family - I will call him "Zach." Zach is 25 years old, does not do schooling, can not drive, does not work, and his only interest in life seems to be violent video games on the computer (according to my daughter), which he plays non stop all day. He does appear to have autism or Aspbergers or something and he is such a lost soul. Many members of the family have tried to get him help but his Mother shuts down every attempt. She feels he is her baby and she will hear none of anything. Consequently, his dad, brothers, and now sister-in-laws have given up and see it as a loosing battle with his mother which will only cause a rift with her if they try to mention Jason and his problems. His mom does listen to me a little - but Jason is off limites.. I can see how things things can get way out of control when he has to be so lost - no friends, nothing - just these violent video games - and this has been going on for at least 4 years.

cruisin
12-24-2012, 05:53 PM
We trimmed the tree, with our kids , last night. When we said grace, we included the victims and families of Sandy Hook. Heart breaking for the survivors.

skatesindreams
12-24-2012, 08:57 PM
puglover, were I one of the members of the immediate family, I would have a "discussion" with the mother; letting her know that they are concerned, lest something similar happen with "Zach".

Lacey
12-24-2012, 09:38 PM
I was wrapping and happened to catch an episode of "Katie," a new this fall daytime talk show by Katie Couric. She thought she was providing a service by interviewing parents of some of the kids who died. I had to turn off the tv. How was it for you, well, you idiot, how do you think it was? One of the husbands seemed very strong and was leading the way about how he had said a nice goodbye unknowingly at the bus, the kid had hugged him, I was sobbing in the privacy of my own home, and his poor wife could barely open her mouth to answer a question. I just felt as if Katie and her crew were so very much intruding in their space. I cannot imagine how they are handling any of this, and it will go on for much longer, the rest of their lives, probably, but hopefully now that all of the funerals are over, the cameras have left.

judiz
12-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Agreed, the cameras need to leave and let the families grieve and recover - although I doubt anyone can ever recover from losing a child. i just can't imagine what the families are going through, I can't even look at the pictures of the kids without bursting into tears.

Karina1974
12-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Anyone hear what happened out near Rochester NY? Some asshole (who did 17 years for killing his grandmother in 1980) deliberately set a house on fire, & then shot the First Responders, wounding two and killing two before killing himself. Seven homes were destroyed.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/12/24/167963528/firefighters-responding-to-blaze-near-rochester-n-y-shot-and-killed

What the feck is WRONG with people? You want to off yourself, fine & good riddance in the case of this guy and Adam Lanza, the world is a much better place without them and others like them. But WHY THE FECK must you take innocent people along with you??!!

Karina1974
12-24-2012, 10:36 PM
I was wrapping and happened to catch an episode of "Katie," a new this fall daytime talk show by Katie Couric. She thought she was providing a service by interviewing parents of some of the kids who died. I had to turn off the tv. How was it for you, well, you idiot, how do you think it was? One of the husbands seemed very
strong and was leading the way about how he had said a nice goodbye unknowingly at the bus, the kid had hugged him, I was sobbing in the privacy of my own home, and his poor wife could barely open her mouth to answer a question. I just felt as if Katie and her crew were so very much intruding in their space. I cannot imagine how they are handling any of this, and it will go on for much longer, the rest of their lives, probably, but hopefully now that all of the funerals are over, the cameras have left.

I take it the parents had the choice as to whether or not they wanted to be interviewed, though?

skatesindreams
12-24-2012, 11:18 PM
She (Katie Couric) thought she was providing a service by interviewing parents of some of the kids who died.

It's how it's done that matters.

Some family members have taken great comfort in being able to talk about their loved ones.
Sharing stories can help to "validate" the life of the victim; especially, a child.

Anderson Cooper did a very sensitive series of interviews with families who asked to share memories with/through him, to the larger community.
These were beautifully done. Bravo, to him.

I lost my sister many years ago under tragic circumstances.
Sharing memories of her was an important part of the healing process.
I wish that I had been asked about Patricia, more often.

numbers123
12-25-2012, 01:37 AM
I know that the Sandy Hook deaths are ones that touch our hearts, especially during a season that should be joyous, but I hope that we pause to think about the others who have been impacted by gun deaths since the Sandy Hook incident. Statistics are difficult to come by, but this website is trying to record that data

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2012/12/gun_death_tally_every_american_gun_death_since_new town_sandy_hook_shooting.html

We need to pray for those families, many of which will not receive any sympathy from the public/neighborhoods/communities because of the circumstances of those deaths.

Buzz
12-25-2012, 10:30 AM
And prayers not only to the Sandy Hook victims and their families but to the families of those firefighters killed and injured yesterday.

skipaway
12-25-2012, 05:01 PM
It's a Police Thing (http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/24/us/connecticut-newtown-police-holiday/index.html?hpt=hp_t3)

:fragile: just melts my heart when people do such wonderful things.

lulu
12-25-2012, 05:25 PM
It's a Police Thing (http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/24/us/connecticut-newtown-police-holiday/index.html?hpt=hp_t3)

Thank you so much for the link, what a wonderful (and very well deserved) gift for the Newtown police department.

AragornElessar
12-25-2012, 09:54 PM

Good to see the Brother and Sisterhood of the Blue Line come together and help out the Newtown Force today of all days. It's a Police Thing, but it's a Human one too.

Thanks for sharing that w/us skipaway!!!