PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Connecticut elementary school shooting - 20+ dead (incl gunman)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38

Angelskates
12-19-2012, 07:36 PM
BR, there are therapy cats, and horses, and several other animals :) Hippo Therapy can be used as a form of OT or SLT, a comibination or sensory integration therapy; horses can also be used as therapeautic tools in counselling for other purposes, as can most animals. Many can be trained to serve a variety of different purposes, depending on their intended use and clients. :)

AxelAnnie
12-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
Have you read any of the articles about the shootings or any of the interviews? If so, you are part of the problem. So am I. We call them vultures but then we voratiously read what they wrote & we look at the photos they took obtrusively. Some media people don't know where to draw the line but the majority of the press are just doing the job of informing the public, a job WE want them to do.

Amen to that!!!!

CanuckSk8r
12-19-2012, 08:27 PM
I don't think it's as black and white as that. The public wants information, analysis and answers, that's for sure ....

The problem is, there is only one person that MAY have the answers, and he killed himself that day too. Everything else is speculation.

What bothers me is all these people willing to speak now, I wonder if they were really involved in the lives of any Lanza family member (other than the Aunt). I tend to lean toward -no they were not. Granted I have never been directly affected by anything even close to this so I don't know, but I would think those close to the people involved would have many questions, not answers.

Jenny
12-19-2012, 08:45 PM
The problem is, there is only one person that MAY have the answers, and he killed himself that day too. Everything else is speculation.

I see what you're saying, but by answers I mean the basic what happened as well - who did what to who, how it went down, relationship of murderer to victims, details such as weapons used, background on local gun laws, etc. It's the why that's speculation at this point.

What bothers me is all these people willing to speak now, I wonder if they were really involved in the lives of any Lanza family member (other than the Aunt). I tend to lean toward -no they were not. Granted I have never been directly affected by anything even close to this so I don't know, but I would think those close to the people involved would have many questions, not answers.

Given the vagueness of what these people are saying, I tend to agree, which is why I don't know why media bother. Sure, talk to people as you look for leads and try to piece together the story, but I wouldn't quote them as sources or put them on air.

I guess a lot of people want to have their moment in the spotlight, and feel a sense of importance and involvement in these cases. Personally the only thing you'd see of me on tv is the palm of my hand in the face of the cameras; only if someone really close to me was getting a bad rap I didn't think they deserved would I say a word.

overedge
12-19-2012, 08:55 PM
A PTA Mom's response to Huckabee. (http://educatefortexas.wordpress.com/2012/12/17/an-open-letter-from-a-pta-mom-to-mike-huckabee-a-message-for-those-who-long-for-gods-presence-in-schools/)
Quite touching...

That is a truly brilliant letter.
Someone tweeted on MSNBC last night that some of the same politicians who are now praising teachers as heroes are some of the same politicians who, just a few months ago, were insulting teachers as overpaid and entitled....

Prancer
12-19-2012, 08:55 PM
I think Klebold and Harris intended to inflict pain on their school (and their alleged tormenters/people/groups they hated), then kill themselves. And people like the Batman movie shooter, Colin Ferguson, the McDonald's shooter, etc. didn't have the moment of lucidity and didn't kill themselves. They were either captured or shot and killed by responders.

Klebold and Harris were not tormented and were not targeting any groups in particular; those are two of the persistent myths I was referring to. Their goal--or rather Harris's goal, as he was the mastermind--was to kill more people in a mass killing than anyone else, ever. Had the bombs gone off, Harris would have succeeded in that; he would have killed everyone in the school and many people in the surrounding neighborhoods, including himself and Klebold. The guns were just the backup plan in case the bombs didn't go off; Harris actually sneeered at mass shooters because he thought they didn't kill enough people to be considered worthy. Klebold basically wanted to commit suicide and was brought into the plan in that context.

Mass shooters also often intend to die at the hands of police--suicide by cop.

They plan everything about the killings, he says, except how to get away.

"It's about suicide," Welner says. "It's about tying one's masculinity to destruction."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/scientists-explain-what-makes-a-mass-murderer-2012-7#ixzz2FX6KURsI

Are there therapy cats? It would seem like there would be.

Cats aren't as trainable as dogs, plus allergies are a bigger issue with cats. But I would think any soft, cuddly animal would be good

taf2002
12-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Are there therapy cats? It would seem like there would be.

I used to volunteer at a shelter that had a therapy cat. He had a regular schedule for visiting nursing homes & he was much beloved.

I don't think it's as black and white as that. The public wants information, analysis and answers, that's for sure - but I don't think people are specifically asking media to harass families and the community in the process.

Of course people don't want media to harass families. That's why I said "Some media people don't know where to draw the line but the majority of the press are just doing the job of informing the public, a job WE want them to do. And WE are discussing this endlessly & WE don't have any inside info & WE are speculating, but you expect neighbors & friends who are actually there to say "no comment" & not say a word about it? Why attribute the motive of wanting to be in the limelight to these people? Talking about it is cathargic for us...why not allow them to air their feelings without talking about them as those they are attention-whores?

cruisin
12-19-2012, 09:21 PM
A PTA Mom's response to Huckabee. (http://educatefortexas.wordpress.com/2012/12/17/an-open-letter-from-a-pta-mom-to-mike-huckabee-a-message-for-those-who-long-for-gods-presence-in-schools/)
Quite touching...

Beautiful letter, thank you for sharing.

I heard, on the radio today, about the mother initiating commitment. I doubt we'll ever know.

Jenny
12-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Of course people don't want media to harass families. That's why I said "Some media people don't know where to draw the line but the majority of the press are just doing the job of informing the public, a job WE want them to do. And WE are discussing this endlessly & WE don't have any inside info & WE are speculating, but you expect neighbors & friends who are actually there to say "no comment" & not say a word about it? Why attribute the motive of wanting to be in the limelight to these people? Talking about it is cathargic for us...why not allow them to air their feelings without talking about them as those they are attention-whores?

I'm sure everyone in the town is talking privately about this - wondering, speculating, sharing what tidbits they know or have heard. Not much different that what we are doing here in our own little community on FSU.

I agree it's helpful for those more directly impacted, and for all of us too in our own ways. But how is talking to media going to help that process? If something terrible happened to your family, would you want your neighbours and other community members talking to media about you? Sharing their stories of serving you at a store, or running into you at a PTA meeting, or thoughts on your behaviour or even your parenting skills or the mental health of your kids?

It's one thing for us - strangers with no ties to the case - to offer theories etc among ourselves. It's another for someone claiming to know those involved to talk to the entire world about it IMO.

skatesindreams
12-19-2012, 09:31 PM
We might (eventually) know something more about what happened.
Will all our questions be answered? Doubtful.

CNN reported that an additional "sweep" of Nancy Lanza's home had been done - with more technicians and analysts on site.

AxelAnnie
12-19-2012, 09:55 PM
I think the difficult thing here is there is no answer. Even if he and his mother were alive to tell us what happened, how could there be a "why"? At least one that makes sense. 'Cause it doesn't make sense. He was crazy. We could find a more PC word, or a clinical diagnosis that someone made or a thought that someone had........but at the end of the day, he was nuts.

I am not saying he wasn't troubled, or didn't come from a broken home, or might or might have not had Aspburgers or whatever. There was some portal in his brain that said this was ok.

I bet we all have stories or circumstances. (I sure do........I was joking the other day, that my life was too nuts to even qualify for "My Life is a Lifetime Movie".) There is a brake that normal people access. Murderers, for whatever reason, override "normal" and replace it with totally self serving rationalizations for what they want to do.

There is (IMO) bad and evil in the world. This was a broken person. And, unless there is a vaccine available to prevent it, searching for a reason is a futile action. He did it because he could. He did it because he wanted to. He did it because he was angry. He did it because he wanted to be "heard" and felt he wasn't being. And, he did it 'cause he didn't care about anything but himself. What more is there to know.

BTW - I think the same answers apply to Susan Smith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Smith), Drove her two kids into a pond and left them to die.

Seung-Hui Cho (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seung-Hui_Cho) Virginia Tech

Harris & Klebold (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seung-Hui_Cho) Columbine

Charles Roberts (http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/12/amish_near_nickel_mines_school.html) - Nichols Mine

Lastly, IMO anyone who murders anyone (not kill, but murders) is nuts. We search so hard for answers, but it is incomprehensible. And, frankly, I would worry more if I did understand.

skatesindreams
12-19-2012, 10:26 PM
I wanted to share this article about Nancy and Adam Lanza, which I found even-handed and informative:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/16/us/connecticut-nancy-lanza-profile/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Susan1
12-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Sparks, have you had any experience with therapy dogs or their handlers? I haven't but I have a very hard time believing they aren't well aware that not all folks want to be around dogs and prepared to make sure no one who doesn't is frightened by the therapy dogs.

I keep reading these posts. It appears that the people (adults/kids) went up to the dogs who were just sitting there, not the other way around. I am sure if someone was afraid of them, they would not make them get any closer! I think there are more people who appreciate and would be helped by the dogs than not. But nobody is forcing them to interact.

(Coming from a dog lover who has sat down in the driveway to make a runaway dog come over, opened the passenger door at a stoplight on a busy street and called a dog to get in before she got hit and we took her to a shelter after driving around for an hour looking for someone looking for a dog, actually got out of my car once (not a busy street) to help 2 boys catch their dog who I trapped between my legs so they could get his collar back on.)

Susan1
12-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Have you read any of the articles about the shootings or any of the interviews? If so, you are part of the problem. So am I. We call them vultures but then we voratiously read what they wrote & we look at the photos they took obtrusively. Some media people don't know where to draw the line but the majority of the press are just doing the job of informing the public, a job WE want them to do.

Yes, I know. They give us what we want, huh? I haven't watched any coverage since Sunday afternoon, except what has passed by on the regular news. It just galls me that they would go to a neighbor of someone who has lost a precious little granddaughter to ask them................what? "How do you think the "blanks" feel about losing their granddaughter?" And to call their church? And to stand out in the dark across a busy street to point out the church. They report this on the NEWS????? Did anybody call the church of that monster creep? No they talk to teachers and people who haven't seen him for 10 years and ask their opinions of why he did it. Geez.

Jenny
12-19-2012, 10:53 PM
I wanted to share this article about Nancy and Adam Lanza, which I found even-handed and informative:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/16/us/connecticut-nancy-lanza-profile/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

I find myself struggling with the issue of privacy vs the public's right to know (or the emotional need to know as a means of understanding and closure, or just curiosity). On the one hand I see that especially in horrific, emotional cases like this, the only way we can move on is to gain enough understanding for closure. Collectively, we also need to know so we can understand and do something so that history doesn't repeat itself. I also see where acquaintances - sounds like several in the article - feel the need to defend someone or at least present an alternate view of the murderer and his mother.

On the other hand, are the details of this family's life our business? The father and brother are still alive, and now the whole world knows intimate details about their family, including financial information. And perhaps worse is the information the world doesn't know but now speculates on and judges on (ie the wisdom of a parent exposing her troubled child to guns, what kind of brother doesn't see his younger brother in two years, what caused the divorce, etc). I can't even imagine what it would be like if something terrible happened in my own family, and as I struggled to understand, ran through emotions of confusion, sorrow, anger, guilt, and grieved, I read quotes from neighbours, contractors who had been in my house, former babysitters, classmates and others about me and my family. Sure it might be nice to have someone say something nice or help balance the negative stuff, but I still wouldn't want to see people talking about me publicly like that.