PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Connecticut elementary school shooting - 20+ dead (incl gunman)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

manhn
12-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Guns aren't the only issue. Someone with a knife attacked 20 children in a Chinese school today. People who want to harm don't have to rely on guns.

How many of them died?

Perhaps the greater question is why there is an increase in attempts to inflict mass injuries on strangers seems to have increased in the last 20 years or so.

I don't know if that's true or not. Maybe people are more aware of these attacks due to the media and the internet.

cruisin
12-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Guns aren't the only issue. Someone with a knife attacked 20 children in a Chinese school today. People who want to harm don't have to rely on guns. Perhaps the greater question is why there is an increase in attempts to inflict mass injuries on strangers seems to have increased in the last 20 years or so.

And why schools?

BittyBug
12-14-2012, 06:57 PM
What kind of a sicko goes after innocent, little children? There are no words - for the families who just lost their little ones, for the survivors who will be plagued by nightmares and insecurity, for the community to experience such an invasive assault. My heart breaks.

genevieve
12-14-2012, 06:58 PM
They are saying the gunman was a 20-year old guy. Report is that 27 are dead, 18 of them children, and at least 3 more sent to the hospital.

Latest I heard is that it was a 24-year old father of one of the students. Unknown if his child was one of those killed.

This is just unbelievably horrible :(

lulu
12-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Guns aren't the only issue. Someone with a knife attacked 20 children in a Chinese school today. People who want to harm don't have to rely on guns. Perhaps the greater question is why there is an increase in attempts to inflict mass injuries on strangers seems to have increased in the last 20 years or so.

That's true to an extent, if someone wants to harm a large amount of people, they will find a way to do so. But, I also think that guns make it much easier to kill a larger amount of people in a shorter amount of time than say-a knife, and guns are easier to obtain and use than say-a bomb.

This story is absolutely heartbreaking and I'm still in shock.

Buzz
12-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Sickening

Sylvia
12-14-2012, 07:02 PM
No deaths have been reported in the Chinese elementary school knife attack, fortunately: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/22-children-1-adult-injured-in-knife-attack-outside-central-china-primary-school/2012/12/14/feac17e6-45be-11e2-8c8f-fbebf7ccab4e_story.html

By Associated Press, Updated: Friday, December 14, 3:17 AM

BEIJING — A knife-wielding man injured 22 children and one adult outside a primary school in central China as students were arriving for classes Friday, police said, the latest in a series of periodic rampage attacks at Chinese schools and kindergartens.

The attack in the Henan province village of Chengping happened shortly before 8 a.m., said a police officer from Guangshan county, where the village is located.

The attacker, 36-year-old villager Min Yingjun, is now in police custody, said the officer, who declined to give her name, as is customary among Chinese civil servants.

A Guangshan county hospital administrator said the man first attacked an elderly woman, then students, before being subdued by security guards who have been posted across China following a spate of school attacks in recent years. He said there were no deaths among the nine students admitted, although two badly injured children had been transferred to better-equipped hospitals outside the county.

A doctor at Guangshan’s hospital of traditional Chinese medicine said that seven students had been admitted, but that none were seriously injured.

Neither the hospital administrator nor the doctor would give his name.

It was not clear how old the injured children were, but Chinese primary school pupils are generally 6-11 years old.

BelleBway
12-14-2012, 07:08 PM
I have a friend who lives in Sandy Hook; I didn't think her son was old enough to attend school so I wasn't completely freaked. Fortunately, their whole family is ok- turns out her son does attend that school but wasn't there at the time.

So very tragic... there are no words...

rfisher
12-14-2012, 07:08 PM
How many of them died?

I don't know if that's true or not. Maybe people are more aware of these attacks due to the media and the internet.

To the first, I don't know the ticker just went across the bottom of CNN's screen. They aren't focusing any attention there for obvious reasons. As to the 2nd, certainly, the media jumps on these sorts of things quickly. Too quickly. I turned CNN off because of the salivating of the reporters covering the story trying to get children to tell them how awful it was, of course, I can't imagine why parents who have retrieved their children are still hanging around, but people always flock to crime scenes. However, mass or random killings, especially of children, typically made the news even if not at the instant pace of today, and I think there is a definite increase. Perhaps part of the increase is the fact more people with sociopathic tendencies like to copy cat or even one-up someone else and the media provides the base pattern for them. And if so, you could remove all guns from legitimate sales and they'd still find a way. It would take me about 5 minutes to find out how to build a bomb with materials I can buy at a feed or hardware store.

Vash01
12-14-2012, 07:14 PM
NBC news has an update. The gunman was a 20 year old who shot & killed one of his parents at their home in New Jersey, before going to the school.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nbcnews.com/50200805/#50200805

kittyjake5
12-14-2012, 07:15 PM
This is just Heartbreaking. What the f... is going on? It seems like any nut can get a weapon in the US
and kill. Something needs to be done. I feel just terrible and am in shock at the number fatalities especially the
children.

genevieve
12-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Aargh, sign of the times - it's hard to find updates that aren't videos or tweets (can't watch vids at work, loathe reading tweets)

Sorry for the misinformation, the shooter apparently was really 20. Jesus - that the same age as my niece, from whom I learned about the shooting (she grew up in CT).

Some info on Connecticut's gun laws:

Connecticut's gun laws are tougher than the national average. Consumers need permits to buy handguns. Assault-style weapons are banned as is the possession of bullet-proof vests. Another law, adopted about 10 years ago, lets neighbors who are suspicious of the activities of other neighbors to file police reports. Also, people with protective orders filed against them are prohibited from owning firearms.

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Source-29-dead-including-22-children-in-Newtown-4118505.php

Read more: http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Source-29-dead-including-22-children-in-Newtown-4118505.php#ixzz2F3VwoH5k

Sylvia
12-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Associated Press and other news updates are being added here: http://www.wtnh.com/

pat c
12-14-2012, 07:26 PM
This is a tragedy. My heart goes out the parents, the children, the community.........I can't begin to imagine what this feels like.
Devastating.

Kasey
12-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Will almost 100% guarantee to you that he has no criminal history, no documented psych history, and all of the neighbors will say "oh, he seemed like such a nice guy". It effing sucks, and seriously, when these things almost always end up with the gunman dying of a self-inflicted wound, why not just teach crazy ass people to just kill themselves in private somewhere? Sorry, but this is just not a "sign of the times", or if it is, feck it, let's go back to the 1800s or some time when school kids of 5-6 years old were pretty damn safe to not be shot up in their classrooms.