PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Connecticut elementary school shooting - 20+ dead (incl gunman)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

BlueRidge
12-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Jenny, didn't you grow up in Canada?

Jenny
12-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Jenny, didn't you grow up in Canada?

Yes, which is why the gun experience is a bit different for me. Lots of people when I was growing up had guns for hunting, and guns and ammunition were more widely available than they are now, but I do think in general the attitude was different. I could be wrong, but I don't think a lot of people had them for defense/their right to bear arms etc.

Today, gun control is a huge topic in my city - in the summer there was a terrible shooting at a community barbecue, said to be the worst the city has ever seen, and the crackdown on gangs has really stepped up. It's definitely a growing problem, but that's not to say we were immune either - as I said, I was pretty freaked out back in 1975 when my babysitter was on my kitchen phone talking to his brother about getting a gun. Maybe they just planned to go hunting for all I know, but it scared the crap out of me.

MacMadame
12-17-2012, 09:28 PM
We did not have metal detectors in my Jr High School in 1970 even though it was an unruly place with racial tensions due to desegregation.

We didn't have metal detectors either. But we had race riots. So we probably should have.

BlueRidge
12-17-2012, 09:51 PM
We didn't have metal detectors either. But we had race riots. So we probably should have.

And again, my point isn't that there was some bucolic time when there were no problems in the past, but that this particular problem that played out in Connecticut is one that needs to be addressed today.

Rob
12-17-2012, 10:02 PM
In elementary school, we had air raid drills, and there was a budding arsonist in my class so we had real fire evacuations. Fires in trash cans, fires in the bathroom, and one time, I went outside by myself when my mother was dropping off my asthma inhaler I forgot, and I saw a fire in the bushes at the side of the school. I also saw who was running away from setting it. Had to run in and pull the alarm. When I said who I saw, he then accused me of it, and I had to go through the third degree for weeks till they finally did get enough to expel the boy. Shouldn't have been too hard -- he was always the bad kid in our class always getting in trouble. Kinda helped that I was home with asthma when one of the fires was set.

Still, we did not have to practice running zig zags down the hall to make it hard to shoot us like I saw some high school kids practicing on TV the other night. Sheesh.

Susan1
12-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Still, we did not have to practice running zig zags down the hall to make it hard to shoot us like I saw some high school kids practicing on TV the other night. Sheesh.

I'm glad I didn't see that. Reading it gave me chills. Re the good old days, I was born after the air raid drills. I went to a Catholic school through eighth grade. The only thing to be afraid of there was the nuns. ha ha We started having tornado drills in high school after the 1974 Xenia tornado. Other than that, someone would pull the fire alarm or call in a "bomb threat" on really nice spring days and we'd all have to go outside to the parking lot and hang out for an hour. Nobody would have ever considered that there was a real bomb in those days. But the police and fire had to come.

The worst thing that ever happened was I saw a student selling a little baggie of pills by the lockers once. I didn't tell. It's not like they were some big city drug pusher hanging out on the corner. These days they would be suspended and sent to drug counseling and maybe jail. This was back when they had a smoking areas for students outside the cafeteria!! Good ol' days? Yes. Innocence is lost too early anymore.

Susan1
12-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Some things definitely have changed for the worse - in the same communities I grew up in, parents no longer let their kids walk to school, go bike riding or to the park with their friends, or leave their kids in the care of anyone but their families - a stark contrast to my experience growing up, where I ran all over the place on my own and with my friends, no kids ever had their parents pick them up at school, and babysitters were generally neighbourhood kids barely a few years older than I was.

Absolutely!! When I was 11, my mom gave my best friend's older sister $5 a week in the summer to make sure I didn't get kidnapped or something. We were out roaming the neighborhood or playing at my house (with my parents at work), or said "babysitter's" boyfriend dropped us off at the mall for hours. We basically did the same thing when I was 12, without the (ha) "supervision". We were talking about this at Halloween. At about the same age, we walked 7 blocks at the end of trick or treat time to go to my church's convent, past the dark library park. On the way back, we didn't see another single kid out anywhere and walked really fast. We were afraid of monsters, and not the human ones.

All this "remember when" and the crappy world out there today makes me feel older every minute.

Rob
12-17-2012, 10:40 PM
I saw a show that dealt with self defense in the schools, and some schools actually have training for school shootings. According to the defense teacher, the only thing you can do is go for the gun so they were teaching the kids/teachers how to go for the gun. Of course, someone would probably get shot trying to get the gun. Then the kids who were far away and heard the shots were supposed to run zigzags to get away. Now, my law firm had this kind of self defense training but it wasn't about work place violence - it was about being aware and not being a good victim. And we were adults.

BlueRidge
12-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Didn't the news reports say that Sandy Hook had previously had drills for how to deal with a situation like this? The teachers were prepared to try to hide their students because of that, or more might have been killed.

Its good that schools are prepared. Its bad that they have to be.

Rob
12-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Didn't the news reports say that Sandy Hook had previously had drills for how to deal with a situation like this? The teachers were prepared to try to hide their students because of that, or more might have been killed.

Its good that schools are prepared. Its bad that they have to be.

I did hear that the principal had implemented new security measures, but I don't know about shooter drills. Unfortunately, it probably is part of teacher training these days. For students, especially kids that young, I don't know.

Angelskates
12-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Is it legal to buy any sort of gun (semiautomatic, automatic etc.) in American at 18 years old.

It still stuns me that someone can legally by a gun at 18, but can't legally drink alcohol.

I don't think all guns should be banned, but certainly semi-automatic and automatics should, along with some others. Those who feel they want guns, don't need these to protect themselves.

How does one prove ID when buying guns online?

Here's an interesting article: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2012/12/18/05/53/never-turn-your-back-on-lanza

AragornElessar
12-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Did anyone else see Dr. Oz today? The full hour was about the sad and horrible day Friday was and also how to talk to our kids, not to mention trying how to figure this out for ourselves. He also had some of the Parents and Kids on, but he made it pretty clear they were there because they wanted to be *and* he asked the kids to tell him what they wanted to talk about Friday. Even w/that, this one little guy was having a really hard time of it and he instantly stopped him and turned to the little guy's Mom.

It was so sad, but also a very well done hour on how to deal w/our own emotions over what happened Friday.

My Cousin Anne is a Grade One Teacher. I can't imagine how hard today was for her or for any of our FSU Teachers to get through.

*Jen*
12-17-2012, 11:28 PM
I've been thinking about the first time I remember learning about some terrible current event. I think I was about 8, and there was a serial killer killing backpackers in my state. It was all over the news, and my parents always watched the news during dinner. I remember us talking about the war and famine in Rwanda when I was 7. I didn't understand what any of it meant, and I never felt that there was an ever present danger lurking in the background of our idyllic, suburban lives. The worst thing that ever happened to our school was the school goldfish being eaten by a magpie and the heaters, it was discovered years later, emitted a rather noxious gas.

At that time, there was the Gulf War, The Yugoslavian War, the struggle to pick things up after the Cold War. Life wasn't any more dangerous than it is now, there have always been wars and there always will be. Some of the things I did as a kid were so unbelievably dangerous, and some of my father's stories are :eek:. It's a miracle any of us survived childhood :lol:

I think when things like this happen, we all look for reasons, answers, anything that could explain how it could happen, think the world's gone mad and maybe it has - but it's happened before, and it'll happen again. Somewhere, sometime. Maybe not America - don't forget it's happened in Finland and Germany too. But when it happens, we'll have the same reaction. It's just the way of the world. That's not to say we shouldn't try to change it - we should. I just think that there will always be something to grieve about.

cruisin
12-17-2012, 11:29 PM
You do realize that the U.S. and Russia had thousands of nuclear weapons aimed at one another on hair-trigger alert back in those days? This was a real danger. And a lot of people, though they supported different methods of dealing with it, felt it was an intolerable situation.

Just as many people now think it is an intolerable situation for schools to feel the need to prepare for possible mass shootings.

I do realize that. I guess it seemed less real then.

JAF
12-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Something to make you smile. :) Children from Newtown with the President
http://sandrarose.com/images17/obama-newtown-children.jpg?42e305