PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Connecticut elementary school shooting - 20+ dead (incl gunman)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

numbers123
12-17-2012, 03:46 AM
And all the speculation on parenting issues/family being off, is exactly why I said the father will always be under the microscope and people will also be trying to place blame on him for the situation. Does anyone think that this father isn't wondering what he did or didn't do to cause this situation?

Jenny
12-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Lots of discussion now about the media's mistakes in reporting on Friday, and the effect it had. Here's an article (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/messy-media-coverage-of-connecticut-shooting-leaves-trail-of-misinformation/article6462685/) from the Globe and Mail.

Over the weekend, in many articles I read they cited "law enforcement officials with detailed knowledge of the investigation who are not authorized to speak publicly." According to the article I linked, sounds like the local police are looking into just who this person or persons were, because they caused a lot of damage with what appears to be multiple example of misinformation or premature information that led to widespread speculation and false accusations, and continues to confuse.

Aceon6
12-17-2012, 02:01 PM
From today's Boston.com blog, MD Mama (http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/mdmama/2012/12/please_lets_honor_the_newtown_victims_with_action. html):
"Equally important is making mental health services widely and easily available. Right now, they aren't. In many areas, there are long waiting lists just to get an evaluation, let alone to get ongoing treatment. We should think about mental health care the way we do about other health care, and put the same energy into making sure that each and every person has access to it--and can afford it. It's easier to get a gun than to get mental health care in this country. We should be ashamed.

liv
12-17-2012, 02:18 PM
What is amazing to me is that last night on tv there was a piece that said that after the shootings, gun stores across the US reported their biggest sales in 20 years. They said people are "afraid" ???????, that the government may in the future ban semi-automatic weapons.

My reaction after the shooting was to immediately get rid of guns, so this is beyond my understanding.

Jenny
12-17-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm not surprised. For many, even those who are against guns in principle, protecting oneself/one's family/one's community supercedes that. The more shootings, the more some people feel the need to be ready to defend themselves and their loved ones.

There's also a long simmering survivalist trend, that is being fed by incidents like this, the Mayan calendar, the wave of post apocalyptic movies/tv/books (which are both a reaction to the trend and what continues to feed it), Superstorm Sandy, etc. A key part of the survivalist mindset, along with food/water/shelter/heat, is defense.

And, there are surely many who think that this is the straw that's going to allow a second term president to break the camel's back and impose far stricter gun control laws - so if you were ever thinking about getting one, now would be the time.

BelleBway
12-17-2012, 02:52 PM
What is amazing to me is that last night on tv there was a piece that said that after the shootings, gun stores across the US reported their biggest sales in 20 years. They said people are "afraid" ???????, that the government may in the future ban semi-automatic weapons.

My reaction after the shooting was to immediately get rid of guns, so this is beyond my understanding.

The husband of my friend who lives in Sandy Hook said that on Friday when he found out about the situation, he went home and loaded his gun. :eek:

There are reasons why I am no longer as close as I used to be with said friend. :shuffle: Still, I would have been devastated if anything had happened to anyone in her family.

Sylvia
12-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Lots of discussion now about the media's mistakes in reporting on Friday, and the effect it had. Here's an article (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/messy-media-coverage-of-connecticut-shooting-leaves-trail-of-misinformation/article6462685/) from the Globe and Mail.
An excerpt from the article:
After CNN and Fox, citing a law-enforcement official, mistakenly identified the suspect as Ryan Lanza, others rushed in to fill an information vacuum with a whirlwind of electronic sleuthing, resulting in an avalanche of subsequent errors published on Twitter, Facebook, blogs and other news sites.

Here's a blog post about that crazy time period: "I am Facebook friends with Ryan Lanza, which became a problem" (http://www.mattbors.com/blog/2012/12/16/i-am-facebook-friends-with-ryan-lanza-which-became-a-problem/)

cruisin
12-17-2012, 03:18 PM
a well written article that I felt addressed many of the issues faced by Americans.. so sad :(

http://www.freep.com/article/20121215/COL10/121215011?fb_action_ids=10151146991285563&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_ref=artsharebottom&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210151146991285563%22%3A381 886938570745%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210151146991285563%22%3A%22og .recommends%22%7D&action_ref_map=%7B%2210151146991285563%22%3A%22art sharebottom%22%7D

An excellent article, thank you for posting it.

Parent education program completions (http://www.ncsconline.org/WC/Publications/KIS_CustodParentedStates.pdf) is pretty standard for divorces involving children under the age of 18 in almost all the of states. I find that type of court ordered parenting classes to be different than implication that the home situation was troubling and that the parents were somehow mandated to complete classes because they were whatever it was someone was trying to say. It might be, it might not be

But, this was something the media could jump on to prove there was "trouble in the family". To show that the parents either caused their son to have problems or ignored his problems. The fact that it is protocol in divorce, involving kids under 18 didn't matter. It was sensationalized for ratings. Even when it was said that it was SOP, that was a wink, wink aside.

aliceanne
12-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Do you have a source you can link for this info?

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/connecticut-shooter-adam-lanza-quiet-bright-troubled/story?id=17984172

http://news.yahoo.com/gunmans-mother-kept-trials-home-life-hidden-010414000.html

smurfy
12-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Hoda Kotb on the Today show said something interesting...
paraphrasing.. One Shoebomber changes the way things are in airports, but these mass shootings do not result in any changes .........
It really makes one think!

Vash01
12-17-2012, 04:53 PM
One of the tragedies that seems to get over looked by the sadness/grief/mourning/outrage of the killing of the innocent children is also the destruction of the shooter's family's name/structure.

We have a brother, who will forever have his named linked to the "possible shooter" status who lost his mother and his brother to violence. We have a father of a man who committed an unthinkable act of violence, who will forever have his name linked to the crime and regardless of what people espouse about not the parent's fault, will have enough people blaming him for the actions of his son. Lest us forget, that at some time in that family's existence, there are probably happy memories of the shooter and of the mother. How to reconcile those memories of happiness or fun with the memories of an act that is so indescribably awful that we can not wrap our heads/arms/hearts around it.

I am sympathetic to Ryan and Peter. They did not murder anyone. Adam alone is responsible for the murders, including that of his own mother. One thing that has bothered me a bit is that everyone talks about the 26 victims, but not the 27th- the mother. There were actually 27 victims. She too was murdered, and by the son she clearly loved. Why no prayers for her? I would even say a prayer for Adam that may be someday somewhere he will see that what he did was completely wrong and will repent. It's unfortunate that he cannot be tried in a court of law on earth, but may be somewhere else he will be.

Anita18
12-17-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm not surprised. For many, even those who are against guns in principle, protecting oneself/one's family/one's community supercedes that. The more shootings, the more some people feel the need to be ready to defend themselves and their loved ones.

There's also a long simmering survivalist trend, that is being fed by incidents like this, the Mayan calendar, the wave of post apocalyptic movies/tv/books (which are both a reaction to the trend and what continues to feed it), Superstorm Sandy, etc. A key part of the survivalist mindset, along with food/water/shelter/heat, is defense.

And, there are surely many who think that this is the straw that's going to allow a second term president to break the camel's back and impose far stricter gun control laws - so if you were ever thinking about getting one, now would be the time.
I feel that this paranoid "Everyone's out to get me so I need to get them first" attitude to be quintessentially American. Which is sad.

Of course not everyone feels like this, but just enough that nothing gets done. :(

Stormy
12-17-2012, 05:45 PM
I am sympathetic to Ryan and Peter. They did not murder anyone. Adam alone is responsible for the murders, including that of his own mother. One thing that has bothered me a bit is that everyone talks about the 26 victims, but not the 27th- the mother. There were actually 27 victims. She too was murdered, and by the son she clearly loved. Why no prayers for her? I would even say a prayer for Adam that may be someday somewhere he will see that what he did was completely wrong and will repent. It's unfortunate that he cannot be tried in a court of law on earth, but may be somewhere else he will be.

Many, many listings of the victims names and ages have included the mother. She isn't being ignored as a victim in what I am reading.

Jenny
12-17-2012, 06:01 PM
I think Morgan Freeman is right. He wanted to be famous.

Update on this - Morgan Freeman's rep says that he never made a statement, and there are trying to figure out the origin of the fake interview that has made the rounds on social media.

On a related note, several FB friends shared an image of a poster with shocking stats about the number of deaths by handguns in the US compared to other countries. Guess they didn't look too closely, because one of the countries listed was West Germany. I looked it up, and the poster was originally issued in 1980 after John Lennon was shot.

Not that raising awareness about the tragedy of deaths by handgun isn't a good thing, but using 32 year old stats to make the case doesn't help the cause.

cruisin
12-17-2012, 06:09 PM
I'm not surprised. For many, even those who are against guns in principle, protecting oneself/one's family/one's community supercedes that.

Agree. this morning my husband said he was thinking of getting a small hand gun. I was stunned! I told him no! That I will not live in a house that has a gun. And my husband is not pro gun. He is just as angry about weapons in society as most of us are. He will not get a gun, because I will not stand for it.