PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Connecticut elementary school shooting - 20+ dead (incl gunman)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

Susan1
12-17-2012, 12:35 AM
ETA ~ Don Lemon on CNN's at the Town Square where the makeshift Memorial has been created and he's now talking to a man who is part of a group that brings in Comfort Dogs to disaster areas or areas that are suffering due to a tragic event such as what happened on Friday. They came all the way from Chicago w/about eight or nine dogs w/them, they looked like Golden Retrievers, just to provide comfort to the people who have come the Memorial. Don was saying for the first time since he's been there, the blank and shell shocked looks on peoples faces have been replaced by smiles just on the sight of the dogs being petted and rubbed by little ones and/or other people there.

What a great organization and God Bless them for them not only bringing the dogs, but also doing the training needed for these dogs to be able to do this. They're going to be helping an awful lot of those people in that small town and area.

Just turned the t.v. on (to see if the football game was going to run over and postpone the Survivor finale :-) ) and saw this and was going to comment! That was the neatest thing!

4rkidz
12-17-2012, 12:45 AM
a well written article that I felt addressed many of the issues faced by Americans.. so sad :(

http://www.freep.com/article/20121215/COL10/121215011?fb_action_ids=10151146991285563&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_ref=artsharebottom&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210151146991285563%22%3A381 886938570745%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210151146991285563%22%3A%22og .recommends%22%7D&action_ref_map=%7B%2210151146991285563%22%3A%22art sharebottom%22%7D

aliceanne
12-17-2012, 01:17 AM
I think there was something very odd going on with this family, or at least the mother. The mother owned 3 guns which she used regularly. The parents were ordered by the court to take "parenting classes" in 2008. In 2008 their kids would have been 16 and 20?? The older brother said he hadn't spoken to the younger in a couple of years, yet they weren't living that far apart. The mother was homeschooling the younger boy because she got into a fight with the school board. Yet his former classmates report that he was a top student.

PDilemma
12-17-2012, 01:23 AM
I think there was something very odd going on with this family, or at least the mother. The mother owned 3 guns which she used regularly. The parents were ordered by the court to take "parenting classes" in 2008. In 2008 their kids would have been 16 and 20?? The older brother said he hadn't spoken to the younger in a couple of years, yet they weren't living that far apart. The mother was homeschooling the younger boy because she got into a fight with the school board. Yet his former classmates report that he was a top student.

Do you have a source you can link for this info?

Lacey
12-17-2012, 01:45 AM
Connecticut survivors to attend school in neighboring town: (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/16/us-usa-shooting-connecticut-school-idUSBRE8BF0B520121216)

That is one of the few pieces of fortunate news to come out of this, I think it's a great idea.

Sylvia
12-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Rachel D'Avino is the correct spelling (not Davino) - I had been wondering why I couldn't find any information about her online. Article today: Shooting victim Rachel D’Avino killed days before marriage proposal (http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2012/12/16/news/doc50ce6c5e283c9722656204.txt) :(

ETA this excerpt from another article: http://graphics.latimes.com/towergraphic-connecticut-school-shooting/

A close friend from college said Rachel D’Avino, 29, was a recent hire at Sandy Hook Elementary School. D’Avino specialized in special education, formerly working as an therapist for autistic children. “She was one of the funniest, loudest, happiest people ever,” said the friend, who asked that her name not be used out of respect for the family. “She was willing to do absolutely anything for the kids she worked with.” D’Avino was known to dress up in costume and sing songs during activities to help connect with and entertain the children she worked with, the friend said. The friend, who first met D’Avino six years ago while they were both students, said she remembered belting out Disney and “High School Musical” lyrics with D’Avino. “She was an amazing person. We worked together for years, and lived down the street from each other for longer,” she said. “She devoted her life to children.” Dr. John Molteni, director of the Institute for Autism and Behavioral Studies at Saint Joseph College, said in a Facebook post Saturday that D’Avino was a student in the graduate certificate program. “She was a paraprofessional working with a student with special needs, something she had dedicated her life to doing,” Molteni wrote. “She had just completed her coursework to sit for her certification exam on Wednesday.”

This article includes information from D'Avino's obituary, provided by her family: http://www.lohud.com/article/20121216/NEWS/312160082/Family-Slain-teacher-true-hero-

GarrAarghHrumph
12-17-2012, 02:23 AM

Do you have a source you can link for this info?

I'd also read that the mom liked to own guns, and owned several, all legally. She had been homeschooling her youngest son due to issues she had with the school system's plan for him.

His brother has said to the police that he hasn't spoken to his younger brother in years.

I hadn't heard anything about the parenting classes.

I can't remember which sources, but they were local NY-metro news.

Tesla
12-17-2012, 02:38 AM
With all the wrong info coming from the media, could people not post stories without a link? I'm sorry, but I really don't like all the "I read/I heard" without a link. I find it especially ironic (hypocritical?) after all the criticism of the media.

shan
12-17-2012, 02:43 AM
I'm thinking over what I'll say to my students tomorrow. We won't dwell on it all day, but I know they will want to discuss it. So devastating and hard to comprehend. My heart is broken for those families and community.

Sylvia
12-17-2012, 02:45 AM
According to state court records, the suspected gunman’s parents divorced in 2009. Both Nancy and Peter Lanza filed certifications of their completion of a parenting-education program, a Connecticut state requirement in divorce proceedings if the couple has children under the age of 18.
Source: http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2012/12/14/details-emerge-about-family-of-suspected-newtown-school-gunman/

Dan Holmes, who owns a local landscaping business, said Nancy Lanza was a gun collector, and that she showed off a rifle she had recently purchased.

"She told me she'd go target shooting with her boys pretty often," Holmes said.

But ATF Special Assistant Agent Gene Marquez said his agency "has not been able to uncover any evidence that the mother and the son were actively engaged in going to the gun ranges, practicing marksmanship, or anything of that nature."
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/16/us/connecticut-nancy-lanza-profile/index.html

lulu
12-17-2012, 03:25 AM
First funeral for Newtown shooting victim is set for tomorrow in Fairfield, CT.
Noah Pozner's (6) funeral is scheduled for 1 p.m. at the Abraham L. Green & Son Funeral Home.
According to the Jewish tradition is it customed to sit shiva (a week-long mourning period for first-degree relatives) after the burial.

Noah's twin sister, Arielle, survived the shooting because she was in a different 1st grade class.

The New York Times has this heartbreaking article on Rabbi Praver and Noah's mother: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/17/nyregion/in-newtown-finding-words-for-a-mother-burying-her-boy.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes&_r=1&
:(

milanessa
12-17-2012, 03:27 AM
I don't see a problem with that statement. Target shooting doesn't have to take place at a gun range, especially in a rural community.

ETA - response to Sylvia's post.

numbers123
12-17-2012, 03:35 AM
Parent education program completions (http://www.ncsconline.org/WC/Publications/KIS_CustodParentedStates.pdf) is pretty standard for divorces involving children under the age of 18 in almost all the of states. I find that type of court ordered parenting classes to be different than implication that the home situation was troubling and that the parents were somehow mandated to complete classes because they were whatever it was someone was trying to say. It might be, it might not be

lulu
12-17-2012, 03:41 AM
Parent education program completions (http://www.ncsconline.org/WC/Publications/KIS_CustodParentedStates.pdf) is pretty standard for divorces involving children under the age of 18 in almost all the of states. I find that type of court ordered parenting classes to be different than implication that the home situation was troubling and that the parents were somehow mandated to complete classes because they were whatever it was someone was trying to say. It might be, it might not be

Yes. I know in Illinois, parenting classes are required if any there are any children under the age of 18.

lulu
12-17-2012, 03:44 AM
Beautifully said and dead on too. Thank you!!

All too sadly true. :(

I haven't seen this posted here yet...

ETA ~ Don Lemon on CNN's at the Town Square where the makeshift Memorial has been created and he's now talking to a man who is part of a group that brings in Comfort Dogs to disaster areas or areas that are suffering due to a tragic event such as what happened on Friday. They came all the way from Chicago w/about eight or nine dogs w/them, they looked like Golden Retrievers, just to provide comfort to the people who have come the Memorial. Don was saying for the first time since he's been there, the blank and shell shocked looks on peoples faces have been replaced by smiles just on the sight of the dogs being petted and rubbed by little ones and/or other people there.

What a great organization and God Bless them for them not only bringing the dogs, but also doing the training needed for these dogs to be able to do this. They're going to be helping an awful lot of those people in that small town and area.

An article on the comfort dogs: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-local-comfort-dogs-taken-to-connecticut-after-school-massacre-20121216,0,7533873.story