PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Connecticut elementary school shooting - 20+ dead (incl gunman)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

topaz
12-16-2012, 03:43 PM
The more details come out about the shooting, how the children, teachers and staff tried to protect each other is true heroism.

All of these families will continue to be in my prayers.

Also, I'll be praying and sending positive, beautiful thoughts to all the teachers and educators of FSU. This is going to be a very very hard week for you, but be strong. Know that I and many others are with you in spirit.

Aceon6
12-16-2012, 03:48 PM
And this http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.com/2012/12/thinking-unthinkable.html?m=1 is the original source, the authors blog page

Anita18
12-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Wow, that was very hard to read. The pain that mother must feel. But, she did the right thing.
There was an article I think in Time, that talked about raising a psychopath child. It was something like the experience that mother wrote. You love your child, but you are afraid of him. And then there are no easy answers over just what to do.

Stories like that make me terrified to be a parent, because there is nothing you can do to raise that child to be different from what they are.

The shooter's mother was stupid to take him target shooting and allowing him access to her guns, but she otherwise sounds like a loving and supportive mother.

BlueRidge
12-16-2012, 03:55 PM

Also, I'll be praying and sending positive, beautiful thoughts to all the teachers and educators of FSU. This is going to be a very very hard week for you, but be strong. Know that I and many others are with you in spirit.

^^This.

Teachers are awesome.

Shout out to school counselors as well, and all the counselors who help children, parents, and everyone get through terrible situations.

Sparks
12-16-2012, 04:03 PM
This maybe wrong - I heard he went to the school as a younger boy...before home schooling.

AxelAnnie
12-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Assault rifle was used. Banning assualt weapons is a good start.
http://crooksandliars.com/john-amato/update-ct-state-medical-examiner-says-b

Amen to that!

cruisin
12-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Assault rifle was used. Banning assualt weapons is a good start.
http://crooksandliars.com/john-amato/update-ct-state-medical-examiner-says-b

This reinforces what I said earlier. It isn't enough for states to have their own gun bans. Unless this is a national ban, the guns will get into the states that do ban them.

missing
12-16-2012, 04:48 PM
All 31 pro-gun rights senators were invited to appear on Meet The Press today. None accepted.

If you want to feel really sick, read the entire article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/16/david-gregory-pro-gun-rights-senators_n_2311559.html

duane
12-16-2012, 05:00 PM
This maybe wrong - I heard he went to the school as a younger boy...before home schooling.
Yes, this seems to be the only connection to the school thus far.

The fact that he picked his old elementary school instead of, say, his old high school suggests he wanted his victims to be young children. The motive may simply be that he wanted to be remembered as THE worst mass killer ever.

Jenny
12-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Did anyone see Saturday Night Live last night? I thought they handled it beautifully - instead of the usual skit to open the show, they had a children's choir singing Silent Night. After several verses, they went quiet, then they all shouted the signature "Live from New York, it's Saturday night!!" together and the opening credits ran, followed by the show as planned (including a very funny skit about the Duchess of Cambridge's pregnancy, with no reference to the prank call or death of the nurse).

I teared up as the kids sang, and thought it was a lovely, appropriate tribute.

Tesla
12-16-2012, 05:37 PM
I think Morgan Freeman is right. He wanted to be famous.

lulu
12-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Connecticut survivors to attend school in neighboring town: (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/16/us-usa-shooting-connecticut-school-idUSBRE8BF0B520121216)

"The Town of Monroe has graciously offered their Chalk Hill School," Robinson said in a statement. "This facility, which is currently not being used, is in excellent condition and will accommodate all of the Sandy Hill School students and staff. It is located just across the border from Newtown and should be ready for occupancy in just a few days."

judiz
12-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Just saw on CNN that a church holding a memorial service in Newtown is being evacuated because a threat was called in.......sick

Vash01
12-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Just saw on CNN that a church holding a memorial service in Newtown is being evacuated because a threat was called in.......sick

It could be a false alarm- some sicko trying to scare people even more by calling in a bomb threat. Every bomb threat is taken seriously. I am hoping that's all this is. There is no news on this right now; just that the church was evacuated.

Vash01
12-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Can the woman be buried at least before we decide that it's all her fault? After all, she was murdered by her own child, who then went on to kill 20 children and 6 adults. It's almost enough to hope there isn't an afterlife, because I'm not sure she'd want to know.

There's a nasty trend in our society to blame mommy for whatever her children do. I've heard it several times and I think it's pernicious.

There's only one person at fault here and that's the shooter. He pulled the trigger, all 100 + times.

I agree that the parents cannot always be at fault, for the actions of their children. We see children of good parents turning bad, and vice a versa, or two children of the same parents being completely different, so in principle I agree with you, and the mother of the murderer does not deserve hatred.

The woman is partly at fault, for having the guns/assault weapons in her home, for whatever reason (may be she was scared; there are many people in our country that are paranoid) but she is dead and I hope she will rest in peace. She has suffered- having been killed by her own son. She deserves a proper burial, and her surviving son needs a lot of sympathy.

Soooo you have a son who is anti-social, had to be home schooled and couldn't go away to college on their own and that leads you to believe that guns and target practice is the way to go? I know you shouldn't speak ill of the dead, but what the hell was she thinking?

Just because the son has mental illness does not mean he would go on a shooting rampage. From whatever tidbits I am getting, she was an avid gun collector, and liked shooting practice. It's possible that she did not know that her younger son had these tendencies. I personally believe that children are impressionable and those guns must have seriously harmed the minds of her little children (assuming they were little when she started her collection and shooting practice).

Assault weapons aside, guns in homes have caused tragedies like accidental shootings and intentional killings. I firmly believe that guns are too dangerous and don't belong in a regular household. I would cut some slack to those who live in isolated, rural areas where they may actually need to defend themselves because they are so far away from the police.