PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Connecticut elementary school shooting - 20+ dead (incl gunman)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

lulu
12-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Moving away from the political arguments for a moment - the grandmother of one of the little girls lost today goes to my church in West Carrollton, Ohio.

I'm so sorry, this must be especially devestating for you and your church community as well. The grandmother and all of the families and friends of the victims are in my thoughts and prayers.

genevieve
12-14-2012, 11:38 PM
The Wisconsin shooting took place in a Sikh temple- a holy place.

oh, I'm sure the xtian god Brian Fischer was referring to felt equally ostracized from a Sikh temple and therefore did not protect those people. :wall:

cruisin
12-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Absolutely. There is no good reason to name names so early - especially since the media was WRONG. It's the rush to be first, and accuracy goes out the window. I was a journalist, I understand the intensity. But there is something to be said for responsibility and integrity as well.

ETA: I am horrified by the number of kids being interviewed and photographed. If my editor had asked me to do that in my reporter days, I would have quit on the spot.

I just watched an ABC reporter interview a middle school boy, who had been in lock down. He described the two hours he and his classmates spent under their desks in a blacked out locked room. Then he said he was thankful that no one he knew was harmed. The reporter kept asking him if he can handle what happened, several times. The boy kept saying he would be alright, and the reporter kept asking if he was sure. What did she want from him?

skatingfan5
12-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Absolutely. There is no good reason to name names so early - especially since the media was WRONG. It's the rush to be first, and accuracy goes out the window.Well, it seems they were only reporting what they had been told by the police, who also were wrong. From MSNBC
Law enforcement officials initially told NBC News that the gunman was Lanza's brother, Ryan, and they had sent out a bulletin to local and federal law enforcement agencies to that effect. But when authorities went to Ryan's home in Hoboken, N.J., to search it, they unexpectedly found him there. Ryan told police he was not involved and that his brother has a history of mental health issues and might have had his ID at the time of the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary, officials said.So here is the NJ connection and the brother connection, which became garbled into the brother had been shot in NJ.

WRT to that idiot claiming that if prayer had been taught in the school, God would have prevented the shooting/protected the students, I suppose he also conveniently forgot about that horrific shooting of the little Amish girls in their school 5 or 6 years ago, where prayer was most definitely taught. Idiot! :mad:

milanessa
12-15-2012, 12:06 AM
oh, I'm sure the xtian god Brian Fischer was referring to felt equally ostracized from a Sikh temple and therefore did not protect those people. :wall:

Nor the young Amish girls.

Louis
12-15-2012, 12:09 AM
There are no words to express how awful this is.

Any attempt to predict who will "snap" into a mass murderer is likely to result in far more false positives, without actually preventing much if anything. And that could be equally tragic.

Vash01
12-15-2012, 12:09 AM
Moving away from the political arguments for a moment - the grandmother of one of the little girls lost today goes to my church in West Carrollton, Ohio.

How awful for her! My deepest condolences.

made_in_canada
12-15-2012, 12:13 AM
There are no words :(

Vash01
12-15-2012, 12:17 AM
I just have to say this - we are all very upset about what happened in CT, and we are all grieving, whether we knew the victims or not.

BlueRidge
12-15-2012, 12:22 AM
There are no words to express how awful this is.

Any attempt to predict who will "snap" into a mass murderer is likely to result in far more false positives, without actually preventing much if anything. And that could be equally tragic.

yes, it just does not seem possible to make that kind of prediction.

Somehow it seems as if we need to have a way to getting to people earlier, whether they will become violent or not, to make mental health care more accessible and communicate with people who may be troubled that there is help and that there is not a stigma to seeking it. I know there's been a lot of efforts in this way, but still we don't spend a lot of resources on mental health care, maybe more can be done.

Sparks
12-15-2012, 12:23 AM
Huckabee Says Connecticut School Massacre Occurred Because We ‘Removed God From Our Schools’ (http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/12/14/1339971/huckabee-says-connecticut-school-massacre-occurred-because-we-removed-god-from-our-schools/?mobile=nc)

Sofia Alexandra
12-15-2012, 12:31 AM
So, by Huckabee's "logic", there should be school massacres every week in a secular country like, say, Sweden... :rolleyes:

skipaway
12-15-2012, 12:39 AM
Huckabee Says Connecticut School Massacre Occurred Because We ‘Removed God From Our Schools’ (http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/12/14/1339971/huckabee-says-connecticut-school-massacre-occurred-because-we-removed-god-from-our-schools/?mobile=nc)

Wow, just wow. I know they think this is true, but at this time, can they just not say it?

skatingfan5
12-15-2012, 12:50 AM

Wow, just wow. I know they think this is true, but at this time, can they just not say it?Just what the grieving families and community need to hear at this time. The milk of human kindess runs kind of thin through his veins. Or is this his version of "Christian compassion"? Unbelievable.

aftershocks
12-15-2012, 01:06 AM

I guess the mind boggles and some of us tend to fall back on the "comfort" of God and religion as panacea, so we don't have to examine ourselves and the stark reality of the culture we live in.

When the unbelievable "no words for it" tragedy of the nanny who knifed and killed two young children (ages 6 and 2) in New York City occurred a few months ago, it seemed to pass by almost unnoticed. God being "removed from the schools" can't be knee-jerkingly blamed for their deaths.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/05/new-york-nanny-accused-fatally-stabbing-children-reportedly-admits-to-hurting/