PDA

View Full Version : American Life, from a Russian Perspective

Pages : 1 [2]

Vagabond
12-12-2012, 06:58 PM
:D Even twelve hours ride won't take you out of the region where I live :) you will be just approaching it's borders.

So when you visit the US you need to come to Texas so you'll feel right at home. Don't come in mid-summer though.

This reminds me of a joke I heard when I was growing up.

An Italian and a Texan happened to meet, and the Texan was describing how vast his state was.

"In Texas," said the Texan proudly, "You can get on a train early in the morning and travel all day and still be in Texas!"

"We have trains like that in Italy too," said the Italian, "but we don't brag about them." :P

znachki
12-12-2012, 09:11 PM
:rofl: America is so big and I've lived from one end to the other and people are so different depending on the region. I'm not sure one could generalize America without seeing the country/its people from end to end.

That's true, but we Americans do that all the time to others - as does everyone really. It's hard not to. Even if this view isn't complete, it's better than thinking that we all live like the folks they see from our TV shows.

Some of the comments made me chuckle. The one about alcohol consumption, the one about how as immigrants come, there may be a shift into more grandparents taking care of the grandkids, but most especially, one about Russian men with American wives.

Mayra
12-12-2012, 09:18 PM
:rofl:

America is so big and I've lived from one end to the other and people are so different depending on the region. I'm not sure one could generalize America without seeing the country/its people from end to end.

Even then, I'm not sure you could generalize a country like the US. I was born and raised in Southern California. I still get culture shock every time I fly with the BF to visit his parents in Minnesota. Our families couldn't be more culturally different if they tried.

America has such a diverse mix of culture and people that I don't think you can classify it as one thing or another. IMO