PDA

View Full Version : Hospital Nurse Who Took Kate Hoax Call Found Dead

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

lurvylurker
12-07-2012, 03:51 PM
:( Just saw it here: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/12/07/kate-middleton-pregnant-receptionist_n_2257224.html?&ir=Canada+Style

Jenny
12-07-2012, 04:02 PM
This is being discussed on the royalty thread.

BlueRidge
12-07-2012, 04:07 PM
That makes sense, but can we discuss it here? I think the topic of these kinds of asshole crank calls by radio stations deserves its own thread.

Norlite
12-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Statement release of behave of the Royal family

A St James's Palace spokesman said in a statement: "The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are deeply saddened to learn of the death of Jacintha Saldanha. Their royal highnesses were looked after so wonderfully well at all times by everybody at King Edward VII hospital, and their thoughts and prayers are with Jacintha Saldanha's family, friends and colleagues at this very sad time."

It doesn't seem the radio station has made a statement yet. As I expect they will.

Add just to clear up confusion, this is the nurse-receptionist who put the call through to Kate's floor, not the nurse who gave the information to the radio station.

skatingfan5
12-07-2012, 04:23 PM
It doesn't seem the radio station has made a statement yet. As I expect they will.They were still gloating about their "royal prank" barely an hour ago. I would expect they will have something entirely different to say now, but likely will still defend their doing it.

lurvylurker
12-07-2012, 04:34 PM
This is being discussed on the royalty thread.

Oh, sorry...I don't usually visit the royalty thread so didn't realize it was there. But I agree with Blueridge, I think this speaks to broader issues, such as society's generally increasing levels of acceptable voyeurism and disrespect for individuals. I can only imagine how terrible that poor nurse felt.

BlueRidge
12-07-2012, 04:36 PM
...I think this speaks to broader issues, such as society's generally increasing levels of acceptable voyeurism and disrespect for individuals. I can only imagine how terrible that poor nurse felt.

^This exactly. What is the matter with us? Why does anyone find these kinds of "pranks" entertaining? Clearly radio stations that do this think it will up their audience. I hope this horrible situation prompts a humongous backlash.

manhn
12-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Was the nurse criticized for taking the call? I don't know why anyone would be so angry at her.

If the call has anything to do with her death, I am deeply disturbed. Even if the call has nothing to do with her death, I am saddened for her friends and family who will have to mourn without privacy.

Cachoo
12-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Was the nurse criticized for taking the call? I don't know why anyone would be so angry at her.

If the call has anything to do with her death, I am deeply disturbed. Even if the call has nothing to do with her death, I am saddened for her friends and family who will have to mourn without privacy.

This.

Jenny
12-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Why does anyone find these kinds of "pranks" entertaining?

I'm with you. The other day someone was telling what a great boss someone was, and what a big jokester who was always playing pranks on his staff. All I could think about is how glad I was not to work for him, or in that kind of atmosphere.

I'm all for levity and fun, but not at the expense of others. I don't find humiliating and embarrassing people very funny.

lurvylurker
12-07-2012, 04:55 PM

I did hear the hospital's statement, which was very supportive - it was something along the lines of how their nurses and other medical staff are all highly trained medical professionals who provide excellent care to their patients, and they are not trained security or public relations professionals. So I think (at least publicly) the hospital was supporting her.

However, I can imagine that she probably felt just awful once she realized what she had been duped into doing, and what the personal repercussions to others (i.e. the embarrassment to Kate et al) might be. And who knows how much the home press was pestering her about it too, if they had her name...

BlueRidge
12-07-2012, 04:55 PM
I despise any kind of "joke" that is premised on humiliating or embarrassing another person. I'm aware that I am particularly sensitive to this so I suppose others are not but it just seems nasty to me no matter what the situation. We don't know if the nurse took her own life, but I can well imagine how she must have felt.

cygnus
12-07-2012, 04:59 PM
My problem with the prank is that it was not really a prank on the Royal family as some have called it. The RF can handle such things.

It was a prank on a couple of hardworking ordinary people (the nurse and the receptionist) who are unused to publicity or the spotlight, and it took advantage of their naivety and thrust them into public derision that at least one of them couldn't handle. Sad.

lurvylurker
12-07-2012, 05:03 PM
I despise any kind of "joke" that is premised on humiliating or embarrassing another person.

This. If a laugh comes at the expense of another person's embarrassment, it's not humor; it's meanness.

Alixana
12-07-2012, 05:11 PM
It was a prank on a couple of hardworking ordinary people (the nurse and the receptionist) who are unused to publicity or the spotlight, and it took advantage of their naivety and thrust them into public derision that at least one of them couldn't handle. Sad.

This x 1000. It could have cost one or both of these people their jobs, which is already a terrible thing to do in this economy. Secondly, we don't know what issues the pranked person has and the prank might be the one thing that puts them over the edge. This is just tragic. Let's think before we act.