PDA

View Full Version : What's the one thing you just can't cook/bake...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

nubka
12-04-2012, 01:38 AM
I was thinking about this today, when I saw a recipe for lemon bars on Pinterest. I totally stink at lemon bars, homemade and boxed. This filling never sets up right. :(

But hey, I can make a mean pan of rolled baklava! :D

What do you epically fail at when it comes to cooking/baking?

MacMadame
12-04-2012, 02:40 AM
I've never tried to make lemon bars. I don't do anything too complicated so I never have any big issues.

Right now I mostly make cake, brownies and the other day I made these mini-pumpkin pies but I didn't do the crust from scratch. The first batch I used a pre-made crust and the second I used a pie crust mix. My crusts turned out better than my SIL's but she made hers from scratch.

michiruwater
12-04-2012, 02:54 AM
The only thing I have failed at more than once is custard. I haven't made custard correctly yet. It's irritating.

Cachoo
12-04-2012, 03:13 AM
mince meat pies--even the dog won't touch it...

A.H.Black
The secret to lemon bars is to use freshly squeezed lemon juice - that you squeeze yourself.

I can't make anything with yeast. Bread etc.

Grannyfan
I'm not much of a cook anyway, but I simply cannot make good chocolate chip cookies.

BigB08822
12-04-2012, 03:22 AM
I've always had trouble with pancakes. They never come out like IHOP or other restaurants. I did, however, recently find a great recipe and I made one change which seemed to make them lighter and fluffier than any other homemade recipe I had made before. I separated my egg and whipped the whites into peaks and folded it in as my last step. Not bad.

BigB08822
12-04-2012, 03:23 AM
I'm not much of a cook anyway, but I simply cannot make good chocolate chip cookies.

I have a to die for choc chip cookie recipe. I will post it later.

nubka
12-04-2012, 03:48 AM
The secret to lemon bars is to use freshly squeezed lemon juice - that you squeeze yourself.

I can't make anything with yeast. Bread etc.

I'm no good with yeast either. Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

TheGirlCanSkate
12-04-2012, 04:52 AM
Bacon. If I make it in the oven it doesn't crisp nicely and is very...flat, I burn it in the skillet, in the microwave it makes tasteless bacon.

my little pony
12-04-2012, 04:58 AM
grilled portobello mushrooms

skateboy
12-04-2012, 05:25 AM
I'm at home with all kinds of entrees and dinner items in general. But my baked goods (breads, cakes, etc.) have had much to be desired.

Impromptu
12-04-2012, 05:26 AM
I've always had trouble with pancakes. They never come out like IHOP or other restaurants. I did, however, recently find a great recipe and I made one change which seemed to make them lighter and fluffier than any other homemade recipe I had made before. I separated my egg and whipped the whites into peaks and folded it in as my last step. Not bad.

I always fail at pancakes too. Will have to try that.

I'm better at baking than cooking, and I love making bread. But I can generally manage to follow a recipe and cook competently too. The one thing that I wish I could make though, and that I never manage to get right, is roast chicken. And I love a good roast chicken.

Japanfan
12-04-2012, 07:07 AM
I have trouble with pancakes too, I think it's impossible to make a good pancake unless you have a griddle for flipping. Ditto omelettes - though I'm keen to try a frittata by cooking the bottom on the stove, then finishing and browning it in the oven.

I've also had no luck with sweet and sour soup, which left me reluctant to attempt Chinese recipes at all. I fared a little better at Japanese soups made with a dashi (fish) base, but can't compete with ramen made by Japanese chefs. I can do Thai recipes though - Japanese and Chinese give me something to go out for.

CynicElle
12-04-2012, 12:24 PM
I can't do pizza dough. Every time I've tried to make my own, it comes out so leaden and heavy that if I dropped it on the floor, it'd probably just keep going until it hit the basement. I'm fine with most breads, but not that one.