PDA

View Full Version : Fatigue

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Bailey_
02-16-2013, 04:43 PM
This is me, too. And I found that needing sleep and down time was practically considered a character flaw for a teacher. You were supposed to be able to operate on four or five hours of sleep a night and go full speed six days a week and if you couldn't you weren't dedicated.

It is so true. I too sometimes feel like I am somehow lacking when I tell people that I'm tired and need a day at home to rest or say that I haven't gotten enough sleep. As a society, it seems that the general consensus is that you should be able to get by with little sleep and that you are complaining if you are feeling tired -- just suck it up and drink and energy drink. Particularly my friends who have kids -- I feel guilty when I tell them I'm tired and need a day at home to rest/clean my house because I know that they are so busy running with kids, I often wonder what they think... But then again, I'm working a full-time job, maintaining a house on my own, various social engagements and running with my niece and nephew... so it's not like I'm sitting at home doing nothing. I guess, it's all a matter of perception...

Anita18
02-16-2013, 06:15 PM
It is so true. I too sometimes feel like I am somehow lacking when I tell people that I'm tired and need a day at home to rest or say that I haven't gotten enough sleep. As a society, it seems that the general consensus is that you should be able to get by with little sleep and that you are complaining if you are feeling tired -- just suck it up and drink and energy drink. Particularly my friends who have kids -- I feel guilty when I tell them I'm tired and need a day at home to rest/clean my house because I know that they are so busy running with kids, I often wonder what they think... But then again, I'm working a full-time job, maintaining a house on my own, various social engagements and running with my niece and nephew... so it's not like I'm sitting at home doing nothing. I guess, it's all a matter of perception...
It's a very bad characteristic of US culture in general. Even if someone can't survive on 4 hours a sleep a night, they still may have something important to offer! It's almost like a contest, to see how little sleep one can survive on. I'm not proud that I sleep so little, especially when I don't REALLY need to.

Simone411
02-16-2013, 07:15 PM
I take a multi vitamin that also contains multi B, E, C, calcium, iron and magnesium. My doctor made sure I took a multi-vitamin with magnesium while I was still taking Coumadin last year. The blood thinner made me fill tired and sluggish at times, and my doctor explained that it was consuming a lot of magnesium from my blood. I also drank 2Cal which is similar to Ensure but without a lot of vitamin K since I couldn't have a lot of vitamin K while on the blood thinner. The 2Cal gave me a lot of energy and also helped me to gain some weight back.

*Jen*
02-16-2013, 11:12 PM
Fatigue is such a difficult thing... I often wonder if the fatigue that I feel is normal, or if something is wrong.

The best way my doctor put it to me is that if you feel so exhausted that you wish someone would come and pick you up and carry you home or be wheeled home in a comfy bed while you sleep, and this isn't a one off thing but a constant thing after you've slept 7-8 hours, then something is wrong.

There is SO much that falls short of that though, which still might not be normal. You're right, it's so hard to tell, and it varies so much.

My sister was always :drama: if she didn't get 12 hours sleep a night, and then she graduated, got a job and had kids and never gets that amount of sleep. It's always :drama: with her because she's sleep deprived. Except...she still sleeps, on average, more hours than I do and I get by just fine. I'm an occasional insomniac though, so I've probably adjusted. She probably never will and will begrudge her children for her lack of sleep for the rest of her life ;)

I think the bottom line is, if you're worried about your level of fatigue then it's time to get things checked out. If you're okay with it, then you're probably okay. I was extremely anaemic before I realised anything was wrong though, so perhaps not :shuffle:

barbk
02-17-2013, 12:13 AM
If you need more sleep (at night) than someone else does, but you wake up refreshed and revived, then I think it is just a case that bodies are different and yours needs more sleep than your sister or friend needs. I need ninety minutes more sleep a night than Mr. Barbk needs, and that is just the way it is.

If you're tired after taking a shower and getting dressed in the morning, or exhausted after doing a little bit of work, or feel that just moving is like wading through vats of solidified jello -- then to me that is fatigue.

vesperholly
02-17-2013, 07:21 PM
There were times, when I was in the middle of my treatment for Graves' disease, that I used to get up from sleeping 8+ hours and go lie on the couch until I had to go to work. In my mind, I wanted to get up and do things, but I physically couldn't. I think a lot of people mistake that for lazy, which is really unfortunate.

I still have problems with it - running errands for 3-4 hours leaves me wiped out.

JasperBoy
02-17-2013, 08:03 PM
In my experience introverts need more sleep than extroverts because just being amongst people is draining.
Also, people with fibromyalgia need extra sleep, if they can manage to avoid awaking at 4 AM with hip/back/joint pain.

I have both.

Now that I am retired I can take an afternoon nap, which helps. I also invested in an adjustable memory foam bed. Life is good.