PDA

View Full Version : In my perfect skating world...

gkelly
11-06-2012, 09:40 PM
I would never have to watch senior-level skaters who don't excel at ________________.

Fill in the blank with whatever is most important to you.

kwanatic
11-06-2012, 09:47 PM
choreography and interpretation...

I hate boring, perfunctory choreography and expressionless skating...

spikydurian
11-06-2012, 10:09 PM
speed and transitions. I feel sleepy when skaters seem to have difficulty moving across the ice. But I must say, most elite skaters have relatively good speed.

purple skates
11-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Freedom to skate the way they want to, instead of the way that racks up the most points. :shuffle:

misskarne
11-07-2012, 12:13 AM
...jumps... ;)

Well, someone had to say it, but I must say it really throws me off when the falls start.

...having passion.

skateboy
11-07-2012, 12:33 AM
Freedom to skate the way they want to, instead of the way that racks up the most points. :shuffle:

AMEN to that!!

alilou
11-08-2012, 06:50 AM

I like this idea. Let skaters do what they want, knowing what each element is worth. Way back when (Peggy Fleming days) skaters did 10 to 15 double jumps in a FP. Admittedly I haven't done the math but would a bunch of double jumps add up to say 5 triples. I remember a gorgeous sequence in G&G's first Oly FP where there did a whole series of double jumps, half loops etc that just flew across the ice in perfect unison. You don't see that any more because it doesn't bring in enough points. I guess there'd have to be some triples, and quads for the guys, but I'd love to see skaters just given complete freedom. Do 10 spins if that's your thing. Probably not expressing this well, have horrible head cold, headache and URTI (gah), but I guess I'd like to see what would happen if skaters were given complete freedom of elements for the LP. Don't know if the math would work.

alilou
11-08-2012, 06:51 AM
oops double post

Marco
11-08-2012, 08:07 AM
1. ensuring quality in elements

2. edges and stroking

3. musicality

Primorskaya
11-08-2012, 09:48 AM
I like this idea. Let skaters do what they want, knowing what each element is worth. Way back when (Peggy Fleming days) skaters did 10 to 15 double jumps in a FP. Admittedly I haven't done the math but would a bunch of double jumps add up to say 5 triples. I remember a gorgeous sequence in G&G's first Oly FP where there did a whole series of double jumps, half loops etc that just flew across the ice in perfect unison. You don't see that any more because it doesn't bring in enough points. I guess there'd have to be some triples, and quads for the guys, but I'd love to see skaters just given complete freedom. Do 10 spins if that's your thing. Probably not expressing this well, have horrible head cold, headache and URTI (gah), but I guess I'd like to see what would happen if skaters were given complete freedom of elements for the LP. Don't know if the math would work.

It sure would make it hellish to judge, compare and rank skaters accurately, but "in an ideal skating world", I'd love to see that too. I know exactly which part of G&G's Oly programme you mean, it's absolutely awesome!! Love the whole thing actually.

gkelly
11-08-2012, 03:01 PM

I've thought about this. I don't think it would work to let skaters do unlimited numbers of anything they want and get points for everything, because then you'd have some skaters just throwing in element after element to get points. But I do like the idea of allowing much more freedom to skaters in the free program. Should we start another thread to discuss how that might be accomplished?

As for the original question, I'll say my contribution is "In my perfect skating world I would never have to watch senior-level skaters who don't excel at maintaining speed without multiple crossovers."

spikydurian
11-09-2012, 08:26 AM
^^^ A brain-storming session will be interesting and informative.

alilou
11-09-2012, 02:54 PM
I've thought about this. I don't think it would work to let skaters do unlimited numbers of anything they want and get points for everything, because then you'd have some skaters just throwing in element after element to get points. But I do like the idea of allowing much more freedom to skaters in the free program. Should we start another thread to discuss how that might be accomplished?

As for the original question, I'll say my contribution is "In my perfect skating world I would never have to watch senior-level skaters who don't excel at maintaining speed without multiple crossovers."
I get what you mean about skaters probably just going from element to element, depending on how much stamina they have. Maybe it wouldn't look so pretty.

As for senior level skaters being able to maintain speed w/out multiple crossovers ITA. Patrick Chan is my hero :swoon:

gkelly
11-11-2012, 07:26 PM
I like this idea. Let skaters do what they want, knowing what each element is worth.

^^^ A brain-storming session will be interesting and informative.

Brainstorming thread started here:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?85702-Free-the-free-program!-(Singles)