PDA

View Full Version : Names You Will NEVER Give Your Children

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Cachoo
11-01-2012, 01:49 AM
Whether it is family, friends, work, Facebook etc....do you have "What were they thinking" moments when you see/hear/read the names given to newborns? I saw the name Sammsyn for a boy and wondered at the spelling more than the name. At least he can be "Sam."

Any names catch your eye for all of the wrong reasons?

mkats
11-01-2012, 01:50 AM
I know someone who named their kid Pistol.

Habs
11-01-2012, 01:56 AM
A friend of a friend just named their daughter Kherrington. :yikes:

KikiSashaFan
11-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Neveah :scream:

Nomad
11-01-2012, 02:09 AM
Eunique.

my little pony
11-01-2012, 02:11 AM
it's already not the worst name in the thread, but when my cousin broke up with her boyfriend recently, she changed their baby's name from sophia to jojo.

Grannyfan
11-01-2012, 02:12 AM
Unusual or even weird names don't bother me nearly so much as ridiculous spellings of fairly common names, especially when they include an apostrophe. My niece had a student a couple of years ago whose name was Desti'knee. That's Destiny to you and me.

PDilemma
11-01-2012, 02:13 AM
Heard someone calling her daughters "chiffon" and "chevette" in a restaurant yesterday. Did a bit of a double take. Especially at "chevette". Those were crappy little cars.

And I once heard a woman calling a toddler "mylanta" in a grocery store line. I wanted to ask if "pepcid" and "rolaids" were at home.

Of course, having taught for 16 years, I encountered some crazy names there, too. A girl named "Sunny Dawn" because that was the time and weather when she was born...I never asked if there was a contingency plan to prevent her from being called "afternoon blizzard" or some such thing. There was a family where all the kids had the middle name Daniel for the dad and were called by both first and middle name. Including the girls. That seemed awkward and just a tad egotistical on his part. None were named for mom. I taught a girl named "Echo". A boy named Hank Williams who had a sister named JoBeth. A boy named "kodi" who was waiting to turn 18 and change the spelling that made people think he was a girl. It was bestowed on him by a mother who was disappointed to have her fourth boy.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

mkats
11-01-2012, 02:18 AM
And I once heard a woman calling a toddler "mylanta" in a grocery store line. I wanted to ask if "pepcid" and "rolaids" were at home.

:rofl: that is too awful and funny.

I actually grew up with a girl who had a very difficult to pronounce Asian name that usually got rendered to "chiffon" (it started with an X). Eventually she started just telling people "you pronounce it like the fabric" because it was better than the other butcherings she got!

I have a friend whose little brother is named Ariel because his big sister (my friend) was obsessed with the Little Mermaid when he was born :shuffle: At least it is an accepted boys' name in some cultures...

Scrufflet
11-01-2012, 02:19 AM
All of the above! I wouldn't do any seasons, days of the week or dorky soap opera names. Or if you have several kids, they end up being Trip, Tre, Torc and Tru. I once saw an Ugly Betty episode where they were spoofing "Tom, Katie and Baby Suri". It turned into, Tim, Carrie and Baby Chutney. I spluttered my tea! And I named my Maine Coon cat Chutney as a result. It suits him. All of these names seem to be much better for pets I think.

A.H.Black
11-01-2012, 02:21 AM
La-a. Pronounced Ladasha. Really. The mother was upset with the school staff for not being able to pronounce it.

dancefan17
11-01-2012, 02:25 AM
Ringo Coyote. Fortunately, the father changed his mind to 'John Clark' when the child was actually born.

michiruwater
11-01-2012, 02:31 AM
Yeah, I've met a La-a too. It baffles me that that must mean that someone heard of someone named La-a and thought, "that's so awesome!" :shuffle: And more than one person, at that...

These are less inflammatory and are actual names, but I hate the names Myrtle, Ethel, and Mildred. I just see a short 80-year-old woman with white hair when I read or hear them and I would never name a child any of those names. I feel similarly about Dolores, but I would also see the Harry Potter character :shuffle:

And then there are pretty names that I could never use. I knew a Peyton once and every person around my parent's age would get a funny look on their face and start talking about how they could never name a child Peyton because of Peyton's Place. Which I haven't seen, so I don't get the reasoning behind it, but I've heard it so many times that I now have it firmly in my mind that I should never name a child Peyton :lol: Lolita is a beautiful name that I would never feel comfortable using, though I wish it didn't have that connotation.

Twizzler
11-01-2012, 02:38 AM
This site has a bunch of interesting ones: Tequila. Abeer, and Chardonnay to name a few. What are people thinking???

http://929nin.com/the-worst-baby-names-from-last-year/

misskarne
11-01-2012, 02:39 AM
When I was announcing at a competiton we had one of the out-of-state skaters' mothers come storming up to us demanding to WATCH me write out how to say her daughter's name phonetically. "I won't have her embarassed by you saying her name wrong!"

The girl's name was said "Dee-ah-na." The spelling on our skater listing, the spelling of the name, was Dijianah. My immediate thought was "If you didn't want it mispronounced, why not spell it properly in the first place?!"