PDA

View Full Version : Aliona Savchenko and Tatiana Volosozhar - Would they have been successful as singles?

Pages : [1] 2

l'etoile
10-31-2012, 05:47 PM
I've sometimes wondered, looking at their performances as pairs skaters, what if they were competing as singles skaters?

They both are much more consistent, less prone to make mistakes, and often praised to have better edges/skating skills than their male partners. Actually, their skating skills are something to be admired even in all disciplines.

What do you guys think? Would they have been also successful as singles skaters?

briancoogaert
10-31-2012, 06:41 PM
It depends on the jumps they could have landed !
With only 3T and 3S, they couldn't have been successful.

Kasey
10-31-2012, 08:59 PM
While Savchenko I think is much better in terms of skating skills and consistency than Szolkowy, I think Volosozhar and Trankov are pretty evenly matched. And no, with only a two jump arsenal, they wouldn't have been successful.

RFOS
10-31-2012, 09:15 PM
(double post)

RFOS
10-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Their basic skating skills are excellent and while they might not be able to do (or do consistently) the more difficult triples, if they had more training time to put into working on those as opposed to on pairs skills then maybe they could. Their technique is certainly good on the jumps they do, and they clearly are strong since they can land throw jumps that have much more power than any individual jump ever would. I don't know at what age they took up pairs or how they had done in singles at the time, but I'm guessing they weren't as successful as they wanted to be at that time which is why they took up pairs. It obviously was a good decision for them, but they probably could have developed the jumps to succeed in singles also. This is total speculation though. But depending on your definition of success, they probably could be successful nationally (if Tatiana had continued skated for Ukraine) with what they're actually capable of, since Germany and Ukraine don't have any top ladies contenders at the moment.

gkelly
10-31-2012, 09:42 PM
But depending on your definition of success, they probably could be successful nationally (if Tatiana had continued skated for Ukraine) with what they're actually capable of, since Germany and Ukraine don't have any top ladies contenders at the moment.

Aliona also skated for Ukraine, through 2002.

zilam98
11-01-2012, 12:08 AM
this question reminded me of one commentator's query about katia gordeeva being successful as a singles skater at the peak of her career with sergei. i think this was after the 94 olys. and how that remark closely preceded sergei's death and katia's eventual transition to singles skating (although only in pro shows).

judgejudy27
11-01-2012, 01:20 AM
Definitely not. Neither has enough jump difficulty or consistency.

Zemgirl
11-01-2012, 05:47 AM
I don't know at what age they took up pairs or how they had done in singles at the time, but I'm guessing they weren't as successful as they wanted to be at that time which is why they took up pairs.
I know that's the case in the US, but I don't think it's true everywhere that people who go into pairs are unsuccessful single skaters.

Otherwise, what everyone else said - unless they could have gotten the harder triples, they would have maybe been successful at the national level and gone to international events, but they wouldn't have done particularly well in them.

l'etoile
11-01-2012, 05:58 AM
I think with their skating skills, it wouldn't have been that difficult for them to obtain lutz and flip and to consistently land them.

briancoogaert
11-01-2012, 07:22 AM
I think with their skating skills, it wouldn't have been that difficult for them to obtain lutz and flip and to consistently land them.
?
Rotating a 3Lutz is not just a question of skating skill.
I guess they started Pair skating because they couldn't improve their jumps as a junior.
Katia Gordeeva has probably one of the best skating skills ever, I doubt she could land 3Loop or more.

Marco
11-01-2012, 07:29 AM
On the flip side, they might have spent less time working on skating skills and positions if they had to spend much more time training jumps.

And knowing the Soviet practice, they probably were picked for pairs at a young age once it was evident that they had potential ot become good. The Soviets love their pairs and didn't pay as much attention to their singles ladies until this quad.

antmanb
11-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Why do people assume that pairs skater = failed singles skater?

l'etoile
11-01-2012, 11:48 AM
?
Rotating a 3Lutz is not just a question of skating skill.
I guess they started Pair skating because they couldn't improve their jumps as a junior.
Katia Gordeeva has probably one of the best skating skills ever, I doubt she could land 3Loop or more.
I see. I was overseeing that jumps ability are not always in the same equation with skating skills.

Then, to all: who comes to your minds when we think of someone with excellent skating skills but not so great jumps?

gkelly
11-01-2012, 03:41 PM
The first names that come to mind are men: Mark Mitchell, Paul Wylie, John Curry.

They could do the jumps that most of the guys were doing at the time, but not as big or as consistently as many of their competitors who were not as strong at basic skating and presentation.