PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8

Really
10-27-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm considering upgrading to Win8 just because I'm one of those who likes to try out the newest thing. Does anyone out there have any experience with the Preview version that was out or the final version that was released this week? I have a touchscreen computer, and it looks like this new OS has been designed with touch in mind, so I'm thinking about upgrading, but would like to hear from others who have used it.

No, I don't need a Mac, and yes, I'm already using Win7, and yes, my machine meets the stated tech requirements for using Win8. I'm just looking for 'reviews'...thanks!

milanessa
10-27-2012, 03:49 PM
But if you had a Mac........:rofl:

Really
10-27-2012, 05:42 PM
But if you had a Mac........:rofl:I'd have a PC with training wheels...

beepbeep
10-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Windows usually launches a bomb after a successful OS, so

Win 95 :)
Win 98/2000 :mad:
Win XP :)
Windows Vista :mad:
Windows 7 :)
Windows 8 :confused:

I'll get the upgrade, but I don't think I'll install it any time soon.

Simone411
10-27-2012, 06:20 PM
One of the reasons I decided not to upgrade is because I'm so used to a start menu, and it's a little different with Windows 8. Also, Windows 8 wouldn't work well with laptops that aren't touch-screen capable. Mine isn't touch-screen capable, and that's why I'm staying with Windows 7.

Really, if yours is touch-screen capable, then go for it. You might like it. :)

Aceon6
10-27-2012, 06:39 PM
I understand that MS thinks it needs an OS that works on both tablets and PCs, but I don't get it. Even Apple has a touch OS (iOS) and a keyboard OS (OSX) When I have a full keyboard, I'm using productivity apps and I spend a lot of time task switching. All my keyboard shortcuts in muscle memory and I try to use the mouse as little as possible. I don't think 8 was designed for me, so I'll be skipping it.

One of my friends did decide to try it, but he partitioned his hard drive so he can boot in 7 if he needs it.

Really
10-27-2012, 06:43 PM
I appreciate all the insights into the new OS. Unlike when I dived into Win7, I haven't kept up on the changes coming in Win8, nor did I try any of the previews. I think I might just wait a bit...

Simone411
10-27-2012, 06:49 PM
I know that's how I would try it if I was going to purchase the Windows 8 OS. It would make good sense to create a partition. I actually have a new laptop, and I'm very satisfied with Windows 7. I actually love it. I was surprised that I was offered Windows 8 when the maker (Dell) knew my laptop wasn't touch screen capable.

orbitz
10-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Windows usually launches a bomb after a successful OS, so

Win 95 :)
Win 98/2000 :mad:
Win XP :)
Windows Vista :mad:
Windows 7 :)
Windows 8 :confused:

You forgot Window Me. Hate it.

Simone411
10-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Just found an article with all the system requirements for Windows 8. My laptop did meet the majority of the requirements. I just didn't realize it, and that's why Dell was offering me the upgrade.

I still don't want it, and this definitely made me decide not to purchase Windows 8.

Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
Windows Media Center license sold separately
BitLocker To Go requires a USB flash drive (Windows 8 Pro only)
BitLocker requires either Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2 or a USB flash drive (Windows 8 Pro only)
Client Hyper-V requires a 64-bit system with second level address translation (SLAT) capabilities and additional 2 GB of RAM (Windows 8 Pro only)
A TV tuner is required to play and record live TV in Windows Media Center (Windows 8 Pro Pack and Windows 8 Media Center Pack only)

Windows 7 Home Premium (which is what I have) already comes with Windows Media Center, playback software for watching DVDs, a TV tuner, etc. There's nothing to buy separately.

http://windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US/Home/ProgramInfo

Aussie Willy
10-28-2012, 09:20 PM
I was reading an article about the latest Windows and the reviewer didn't like it.

What I hate about the Windows upgrades and also MS Office upgrades is you only start getting used to it and then they totally change it, when what you had was fine.

I have had Office 2010 on my laptop for 2 years and I still feel as if I am learning it. I never had any problems with the versions of Office before that. Sometimes change for change sake is not necessarily a good thing.

maatTheViking
10-28-2012, 10:52 PM
I upgraded my work PC to win 8, and it honestly doesn't feel like a OS for a corporate environment, but many of the features I will love on my home PC - even without the touch screen (like integration with web mails suc as hotmail and gmail, but no outlook integration)

That being said, I just move to desktop mode on my work PC, it looks like win 7, but works bette, faster.

I think it is worth the upgrade on a non touch PC and definely on a touch PC.

It is different, but different can be good - unless you hate change ;).

Disclaimer: I work for Microsoft, but not in windows.

maatTheViking
10-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Just found an article with all the system requirements for Windows 8. My laptop did meet the majority of the requirements. I just didn't realize it, and that's why Dell was offering me the upgrade.

I still don't want it, and this definitely made me decide not to purchase Windows 8.

Windows 7 Home Premium (which is what I have) already comes with Windows Media Center, playback software for watching DVDs, a TV tuner, etc. There's nothing to buy separately.

http://windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US/Home/ProgramInfo

The windows media center is useful to home users, but many of the other things are not.
I believe you always needed a tv tuner (hardware) to record tv on your media center.

Bit locker to go of course requires a USB drive, it is 'to go' and will encrypt your USB drive.
Bit locker itself I will not use on a home PC, I doubt you will need it. It is high power encryption of the drive, most thing on a home computer will be adequately protected using a regular log in password - this is in case someone steals your drive and tries to read it.
Hyper V is also something you will not need as a home user in 99% of the cases.

Lara
10-29-2012, 12:10 AM
I downloaded it Friday and am pretty used to it now (lots of right clicking and corner hovering!) It's a little weird going from the Metro/Modern interface to traditional desktop, but no major issues and am looking forward to more apps becoming available on the Windows Store. Overall, like. Keep in mind though that I'm very much the consumer user this release seems aimed at and not too fazed by change. :)

Just remembered something - I installed Chrome and when I made it the default browser, the Metro version of IE10 went away - strange. If you're going to be using the new metro apps, I would recommend leaving IE as default since opening links within them didn't work so great with Chrome (for now).

Quintuple
10-29-2012, 04:40 AM
I'm interested in reading if anyone here is adopting a Windows phone with WP8 ... in the next month or so. I'm intrigued, but in general don't like Windows for desktop, and like Android for smartphone. Right now the WP market share is somewhere around 1%, so that's not many apps, and the more obscure, the less support. But I'm intrigued! (Wishing the Nokia 920 could be on my carrier ...)