PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Sandy

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

missing
10-26-2012, 02:14 PM
I filled my gas tank yesterday (gas prices always go up after a hurricane). I'll be going out later this morning to buy enough groceries to last for a while. And I'm obsessively watching The Weather Channel.

Good luck to everyone already in the path of the hurricane and to those of us who most likely will be in a few days.

dbell1
10-26-2012, 02:24 PM
I think it hits us on Monday/Tuesday (I'm in Central NJ). Generators are selling out like mad around here. Our basement floods with rain, so I'm expecting to be bailing. Spending time this weekend to put away lawn furniture and move basement stuff up higher. Lots of old trees around my money pit. It's going to be interesting. I've got a new propane grill and a decent supply of batteries. And there's shelves full of books waiting to be read.

What will be interesting is seeing if work decides to close - our road always floods but they've only shut the office once in 7 years. :wall: That was when Irene's remnants flooded out our parking lot and the police ordered the road closed.

milanessa
10-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Stay safe, everyone.

orbitz
10-26-2012, 03:45 PM
I'll be going out later this morning to buy enough groceries to last for a while.

But what if your power goes out? I've thought about doing grocery shopping tomorrow, but if my power get cut off on Sunday then it'll be a waste. Maybe I'll stock up on canned goods and bottled water.

GarrAarghHrumph
10-26-2012, 04:50 PM
But what if your power goes out? I've thought about doing grocery shopping tomorrow, but if my power get cut off on Sunday then it'll be a waste. Maybe I'll stock up on canned goods and bottled water.

We're buying only enough perishables to take us through about Wednesday. So if the power goes out on Monday, we'll be fine - we'll eat them.

We have storm supplies in the basement re: canned goods, bottled water, etc. So we're just in need of a bit more water, and some snacky foods for the little one, and we're good on that end.

For stocking up, think about how you might cook if you don't have power; and then add in how you might cook if you don't have water other than what you've stored, and then buy items appropriate to those scenarios.

JeffClair1979
10-26-2012, 05:07 PM
This should make for an interesting week next week...

Rob
10-26-2012, 06:13 PM
I never did get that generator I wanted so I am not getting it now. Oh well. I am going to the beach tonight to secure the moveable stuff and will come back Sunday morning if it hasn't hit yet, Monday morning if it has.

skatesindreams
10-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Even though the storm is well off the coast, it's very squally in Central FL.
The upside is that it will be much cooler afterwards.
We'll have our version of Fall!

Aimless
10-26-2012, 08:32 PM
One has such a feeling of impending doom, with Sandy and the election hanging over our heads. Long Island will get something of the storm, for sure. Sigh.

milanessa
10-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Even though the storm is well off the coast, it's very squally in Central FL.
The upside is that it will be much cooler afterwards.
We'll have our version of Fall!

Went to Daytona Beach today to get concert tickets and a car full of seaweed. Coming home we stopped at Vince Carter's restaurant and they were talking about all the bridges being closed. :eek: The surf was up and the water was rough but didn't seem that bad. I'm glad we left beachside before they closed it off.

Supposed to be 39F overnight on Monday. :cheer:

gkelly
10-27-2012, 01:14 AM
Why did you want a car full of seaweed?

skatingfan5
10-27-2012, 01:20 AM
^Seaweed for the garden as mulch/fertilizer).

Karina1974
10-27-2012, 02:25 AM
Whoa... State of Emergency in NYS already. But, then again, we literally went through hell & high water last year with Irene & Lee, so this isn't to be unexpected.

http://m.timesunion.com/tu/db_40506/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=EQOW6rcB

Gov. Andrew Cuomo isn’t taking chances with the approach of Hurricane Sandy: He’s declared a state of emergency in New York in preparation for Hurricane Sandy, which may hit New York State in the coming days.Cuomo noted that while there’s no immediate reason to panic, “we’d rather err on the side of caution” — especially after last fall’s experiences with tropical storms Irene and Lee. Especially in the first deluge, the New York City area escaped major damage while upstate got hammered.“Remember what we went through last year and prepare,” Cuomo said in a Q&A. His weekend plans campaigning for President Barack Obama have also been called off. Cuomo emphasized that the storm’s path is very hard to predict this early in its journey up the eastern seaboard. From his release, which also notes the postponement of the the Homeland Security conference planned for Albany on Monday and Tuesday; those first responders will now be saying home in case they’re needed.

milanessa
10-27-2012, 02:47 AM
^Seaweed for the garden as mulch/fertilizer).

Yep. Just call my husband Farmer Man. Mushroom poop and seaweed and kitchen trash from seafood restaurants. :rofl:

firefly
10-27-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm going to NYC Monday to Thursday....Does anyone know what I should expect? Should I bring some food in case the power goes out? I live in Quebec so I've never experience something like this and reading this thread made me realise it may be a bigger deal than I expected!

I'm going with a group and we have meetings all week at different places. Do you think we'll be able to go? I know it's almost impossible to predict...

Stay safe everyone!