PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #21 - Carry On as the Waltz Goes On

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

IoanaC
11-04-2012, 07:51 PM
I agree with Pani. This free is so well-structured, it just needs mileage. I feel it's something that could be a classic, their best dance ever. I'm already so protective of it, I don't want it to be tweaked.

I agree with you and Pani. Hope they don't change anything.

bmcg
11-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Why? And how do you think the program should end?

I'm happy we'll see them again this weekend! Pani, make sure you and friends cheer extra hard for them.

I get the feeling some feel the ending is too abrupt BUT I personally think it will all fall into place with more mileage. Itīs important to the story they are telling. I think some may struggle with it because Carmen doesn't, die which is what everyone expects from a typical Carmen, but they arenīt taking the traditional approach. I love it and again think with mileage all the pieces are in the right place for an incredible performance at Worlds.

Shayii
11-04-2012, 08:13 PM
I will try to do my best :D
Thank you. I hope the lady that tweeted that Russia is waiting for them is right!

I get the feeling some feel the ending is too abrupt BUT I personally think it will all fall into place with more mileage. Itīs important to the story they are telling. I think some may struggle with it because Carmen doesn't, die which is what everyone expects from a typical Carmen, but they arenīt taking the traditional approach. I love it and again think with mileage all the pieces are in the right place for an incredible performance at Worlds.

I love the ending too that's why I'm wondering how people feel the program should end. IDK I love this program so much, I wouldn't change anything. I did notice that their lifts weren't as smooth as they usually are, but it was the first time in competition and like gerbil said I think Scott's injury was worse than they're saying. Did you guys notice how hard he was sweating after both programs? He's usually not like that. Anyways hope things are better this weekend.

iggie
11-04-2012, 09:22 PM
how much are we really expecting them to improve for cup of russia. it's technically 2 weeks, but with one week for travelling and getting accustomed to time zone and competiting, it's really one week. i think scott took a few days off for his neck ... because that's what he did in lieu of finlandia. so how much do you think they trained/improved?

IoanaC
11-04-2012, 09:36 PM
how much are we really expecting them to improve for cup of russia. it's technically 2 weeks, but with one week for travelling and getting accustomed to time zone and competiting, it's really one week. i think scott took a few days off for his neck ... because that's what he did in lieu of finlandia. so how much do you think they trained/improved?

They've probably replaced the lift in the SD and maybe identified the weaker points of the polka. But they need a bit more time to work on getting all the levels for the pattern dance.
Also, they probably won't repeat the mistakes in the FD. It's just going to be one step further in the development of the program.

sequins
11-04-2012, 09:54 PM
I agree don't change it. The 2 lifts at the end are difficult & demanding no doubt and they have to be right on so they can finish the program on time, but that's what makes it so great. The last lift is important to the story they are telling IMO, I love the ending,it makes it so dramatic. V/M are up to the challenge they want to challenge themselves and make it hard and by the end it's always brilliant. This FD is brilliant already so I can't even imagine by March. I love them for the chances they take, they don't play it safe, never take the easy way and they certainly could, they are always trying to better themselves, never content with what they've already accomplished always trying for more, this is why they are so admired & respected by the fans, their peers, and by the legends of the past. No medal or placement is more valuable than that.

martyross
11-04-2012, 10:23 PM
the ending, so unconventional, perfectly fits the non-operatic feel of the program. it kinds of put on your face that it's a real tragedy taken from real life, with real feelings that could hit any of us, not a staged drama where the ice dancers are clearly not the characters they're portraying but just two athletes who compete for a medal. you don't expect that it ends like this, so it doesn't allow the audience to feel (forced) sadness for Carmen or Josč. that kind of reaction, perfectly predictable, is actually comforting, it doesn't hurt. instead the story must frighten, and that's what the ending does, the program must create a shock so that you can really reflect on what is love, lust, dominance, etc. all the things that we've said so far. (Shpilband's program is so predictable in the ending especially.) Tessa's look in the eye in the ending pose is a bit shocking, it has a sense of victory that scares you, whew, she looks almost as a Lady Macbeth in that moment ((:

about the levels of the polka, in their latest interview Bobrova/Soloviev sounded quite confused about the way their patterns were marked in China. just like last year these levels will be a pain, because they will be judged differently at each competition :D so let's not worry if we'll still see low numbers in the protocol in the next outings.

Golightly
11-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Exactly. It's so funny to me that I'm thinking the lift should stay not because it could help them get more PCS and GOE's, but because it's central to the story they are telling. I feel the three lifts are so key to the theme and the characters. Seriously, this program is genius and I pray I get to see them skate it to the best of their abilities at least once. I'm not even asking them to win Worlds with it, just to see them skate it like the legends they are once.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Macassar88
11-04-2012, 10:32 PM
about the levels of the polka, in their latest interview Bobrova/Soloviev sounded quite confused about the way their patterns were marked in China. just like last year these levels will be a pain, because they will be judged differently at each competition :D so let's not worry if we'll still see low numbers in the protocol in the next outings.

Same with step sequences - Bobrova/Soloviev said that they can normally tell to an extent what levels they're going to get, but Bobrova said that she was confused because last time they got level 3 and this time they got level 2 even though she felt like she did better steps here.

elle123
11-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Just catching up on the forum as it's been a busy fall for me.

1. I love Scott's movember pic ... maybe this will inspire a new exhibition number? haha
2. I agree that the FD should stay the same. I think the "abrupt" ending suits their interpretation of Carmen, with the rise of Carmen and the fall of Don Jose. I'm so excited for the growth of this FD and can't wait to see it again at the Worlds. I loved Mahler, but this program gets me so excited!!! (as if you couldn't tell). The first time I saw the provocative movements and that last rotational lift, I jumped out of my seat and screamed "OH NO THEY DIDN'T!"

I'm just sad that I'm out of town the two weekends they have GP events and I'm not able to watch it other than spotty tv coverage and youtube videos.

sequins
11-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Same with step sequences - Bobrova/Soloviev said that they can normally tell to an extent what levels they're going to get, but Bobrova said that she was confused because last time they got level 3 and this time they got level 2 even though she felt like she did better steps here.

Well this is just so stupid. Do the judges know what they are looking for? Why on earth would it be marked differently at each competition? That is very confusing and frustrating for the skaters and all the more reason to ditch the SD. If no one knows what to do or what they are looking for what's the point of continuing with this? The skaters look to the rules, coaches, judges etc. for clarity, explaination but it seems no one knows WTH they are to do so how can the skaters? Ridiculous.

sequins
11-04-2012, 11:12 PM
The first time I saw the provocative movements and that last rotational lift, I jumped out of my seat and screamed "OH NO THEY DIDN'T!"

:lol:

Macassar88
11-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Well this is just so stupid. Do the judges know what they are looking for? Why on earth would it be marked differently at each competition? That is very confusing and frustrating for the skaters and all the more reason to ditch the SD. If no one knows what to do or what they are looking for what's the point of continuing with this? The skaters look to the rules, coaches, judges etc. for clarity, explaination but it seems no one knows WTH they are to do so how can the skaters? Ridiculous.

ITA - I feel like most of the time in lifts, spins and twizzles, I can see what the judges are marking, but not in the steps. I thought that was just me not having a discerning eye, but the interview from the Russian thread in GSD makes me wonder.
I feel that certain tech callers are super harsh and will downgrade your levels unless your edges are so deep that you're nearly skating on the side of your boots. And other ones don't really care as much.
But they do need to find some way to regulate it because it's not right that skaters are completely in the dark about what the judges called them on.

bmcg
11-05-2012, 12:20 AM

I don't expect much change in so short a timeframe. I expect to see more improvement at the GPF.

iggie
11-05-2012, 12:43 AM
here is a link to the post fd interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agu-fR8dShM&feature=youtu.be