PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #21 - Carry On as the Waltz Goes On

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

pani
11-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Yeah - they showed the interview in the next broadcast which was a couple of hours later - well at least it was here.

Thanks again! I didnt see it on youtube

Cherub721
11-03-2012, 10:17 PM
The more I watch V/M's SD, the less I like it. It starts off strong, but then the polka comes out of nowhere, and the rest of it looks like a bunch of elements strung together. Why are they suddenly so happy during the polka? What's the story in the movements after the polka ends? And what mood are they supposed to be in when they do the footwork sequence? To me, this SD is the opposite of their FD, where I can see a meaning behind every single movement.

IMO this is to be expected given that Carmen is a story we all know so well. Anyone can youtube a million different interpretations of it. Their SD is one of those programs where they chose beautiful music and created their own story, so if they don't explain it to us, it's not going to be clear. I definitely get the beginning in which she's a troubled girl whom Scott finds, but I'm not quite understanding the rest either... give it another few competitions. They may be perform it with better/different expression and there might be an interview in which its discussed. So far, I am loving what we have seen.

Also, just to throw this out there, does anyone else think that Scott's neck injury was more serious than they let on and that they missed more than a couple of days of training?

Not necessarily missing training completely, but I think it's possible they haven't been practicing the lifts as much. The lifts looked labored for them. I'm used to their lifts being so effortless and Tessa's positions being spot perfect at every point, even mid-transition. At Skate Canada it wasn't like that. The lifts still looked better than 99% of other dance teams, but they were jockeying for position more than usual, and you could see the strain on Scott. He's usually so calm in the lifts and he'll do a little flourish that makes you feel like he's lifting a feather. I have every confidence this will improve though, and I especially appreciate how the lifts were selected to emphasize the musical highlights in their FD.

pani
11-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Sorry, but when i saw FD i thought - OMG, there lifts look much better, then in FF, Scott made it easy. So i wonder to read your post. I feel like people read internet too much and dont belive in what they see.

Cherub721
11-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Interesting, I always thought the lifts in Funny Face (and Mahler) were so effortless. The Latin trio less so, but that was an injury year. The Carmen lifts are the most difficult ones they have done though IMO.

pani
11-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Interesting, I always thought the lifts in Funny Face (and Mahler) were so effortless. The Latin trio less so, but that was an injury year. The Carmen lifts are the most difficult ones they have done though IMO.

Yes, but first lift in Carmen for V-M look like nothing to them. This combination lift - the first part look OK, maybe transition in the second a little slow. But final lift - how quikly Tessa went to this postition from back flip with rotation and i think Scott made rotation fast.

Cherub721
11-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Yes, but first lift in Carmen for V-M look like nothing to them. This combination lift - the first part look OK, maybe transition in the second a little slow. But final lift - how quikly Tessa went to this postition from back flip with rotation and i think Scott made rotation fast.

True... like I said, they still look great, and better than most, just not to their usual standard of perfection and smoothness.

pani
11-03-2012, 10:36 PM
True... like I said, they still look great, and better than most, just not to their usual standard of perfection and smoothness.

I could see this in there steps, but not in there lifts. So maybe i am wrong.
There spin is best since OG. Ad they did it good, it wasnt slow, like in Latina and FF.

Macassar88
11-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Sorry, but when i saw FD i thought - OMG, there lifts look much better, then in FF, Scott made it easy. So i wonder to read your post. I feel like people read internet too much and dont belive in what they see.

I definitely noticed strain in the choreographic lift

IoanaC
11-03-2012, 11:03 PM
I definitely noticed strain in the choreographic lift

Yes, I think they were already exhausted by then. They probably haven't even done that many run-throughs of the program. Everything will become smoother with mileage.

Macassar88
11-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Yes, I think they were already exhausted by then. They probably haven't even done that many run-throughs of the program. Everything will become smoother with mileage.

Yep - I have faith in them. I always will.
Although I gotta say that I don't feel like that lift really went with the music.

aka_gerbil
11-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Yep - I have faith in them. I always will.
Although I gotta say that I don't feel like that lift really went with the music.

I think the lift is meant to represent Carmen's power over Don Jose, so for me, it works. Getting it smooth will come in time.

One note on lifts that I may have made before: Johnny Johns has been the lift coach for years and he's still there, so don't worry about that. As for footwork, still, no one has a level 4 yet this year--and probably shouldn't yet. A couple of teams have managed two level 3 sequences. The level 2 sequence of V/M's last weekend was the one Tessa had the stumble on, and watching when she makes that mistake, I think it was more mental than technical. It'll be better next time, *turn, spit, curse*.

iggie
11-04-2012, 12:10 AM
interview with pj

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/video/#id=2300260163

IoanaC
11-04-2012, 12:13 AM
I think the lift is meant to represent Carmen's power over Don Jose, so for me, it works. Getting it smooth will come in time.

I agree. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing in that program.

Her stopping at the end of the step sequence was odd, like she had run out of room for the last twizzle. They were too close to the boards. I'm sure they'll fix that.
I'm still amazed by Scott's power and the precision of their moves in the final rotational lift. I do believe it's the most difficult they've ever done. And putting it in the end of an already exhausting program is... wow.

Iggie, thank you for posting that. Great little interview!

Golightly
11-04-2012, 01:28 AM
interview with pj

See? Tessa gets it.

Macassar88
11-04-2012, 01:32 AM
interview with pj

I like what Scott said about how the people who think that Tessa is too sweet to play Carmen are completely wrong.