PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #21 - Carry On as the Waltz Goes On

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Golightly
10-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Back to Carmen, I love the spin, that's freaking difficult. And I also love when they hug during the step sequence, that's... insane. i love it so much I want to thank them. Like, I'm not kidding when I say that I watch this for the pure pleasure of it, I'm not thinking about edges and lines and levels, I'm not even thinking about the sport, I'm thinking that this is freaking fantastic. I go home every afternoon and I watch it again. Each time I discover something new. I wish it had better camerawork, especially during the last lift, you need to that in profile. I am rambling again, but I love it with all my heart.

pani
10-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Back to Carmen, I love the spin, that's freaking difficult. And I also love when they hug during the step sequence, that's... insane. i love it so much I want to thank them. Like, I'm not kidding when I say that I watch this for the pure pleasure of it, I'm not thinking about edges and lines and levels, I'm not even thinking about the sport, I'm thinking that this is freaking fantastic. I go home every afternoon and I watch it again. Each time I discover something new. I wish it had better camerawork, especially during the last lift, you need to that in profile. I am rambling again, but I love it with all my heart.

Yes, i like this spin. And i think quality of it is better, then last two years.
I like angle step at the begining of Toreodor part.

aka_gerbil
10-30-2012, 09:30 PM

The spin is fantastic! Actually, their dance spins were one thing I tended to get nitpicky with them over in the past. I think they sometimes had a tendency to travel a bit and lose speed, but not Saturday. Fabulous.

Like you, when I watch, I'm not paying attention to the elements at all. It took me a lot of rewatches before I could really force myself to really analyze each element. I'm also discovering new things everytime I watch it again. There will be some little thing I'll catch that I didn't see before. I still feel like I haven't caught everything yet!

IoanaC
10-30-2012, 09:36 PM

THIS.
Although, not really the edges, but I am thinking about the lines. The first step sequence is a thing of beauty.

pani
10-30-2012, 09:43 PM
I must say i like this madness step sequenc at the end. Especially from pratice video.

pani
10-30-2012, 10:06 PM
http://www.sport-express.ru/newspaper/2012-10-31/8_2/?view=page
Vaitsehovskay artice - Hot thing.
Please use google translation.

Bournekraatzfan
10-30-2012, 10:11 PM
I find the program interesting, but there is no - "WOW I never thought that could be done with Carmen!"
As I said before, V&M have themselves to blame, they put the bar so high and spoiled me with their abilities and love for competing.

I loved Carmen, but I understand what you mean--I can also be nitpicky with them because they are so amazing:)

I agree aka_gerbil that we should not expect end of season scores in October. However I do think their SD score was a freak accident and definitely fixable. I love Marina's comment that Tessa and Scott are Olympic and multiple times World Champs, they need to set new standards and if that means skating to a high risk program it will be worth it.

agree. The level 2 on the second portion of the YP was, from what I could see, due to an error I don't expect to see them repeat. They have incredible spatial awareness/management--you very rarely see them drift away from each other and come back together, and it looked to me that this is what happened in this three turn swing roll section, which did not allow them to properly complete the three turns, dropping them to a level 2. And I do not expect to see a level 2 on the step sequence again, either. I'm not worried, and I can't wait to see them perform their SD again:)

I love Carmen so much I just practiced the first part of their curve lift with my beagle :lol: Not going to try the rotational lift though...

[/B] Was he wearing black fishnets :).

:lol:

My expectations were incredibly high as well and they blew me away! And the fact that they did so when they didn't even skate perfect, I mean I don't even know what to say. Can't wait to see it develop throughout the season.

I feel the same way!

[...] Since the time they confirmed the music at HPC, they've stressed that this their own, modern take. This program isn't about about giving a literal telling of the story. V/M's Carmen is far more cerebral and abstract, dealing with the emotions, feelings, and themes that drive the story. This routine requires you to dig a little deeper to really get it. It's not a program that everyone is going to get the first time they see it, and some people may never get it if they don't let go of the mindset that to do Carmen, you merely portray only the physical events of the story.

ITA. They are using body lines and movement to express the emotions of Carmen...feelings of lust, desire, possession, madness, longing, liberation/desire for, power, (powerlessness in Don Jose's case). I understand that it won't appeal to everyone, but I just love it!

Aussie Willy
10-30-2012, 10:18 PM
I love Carmen so much I just practiced the first part of their curve lift with my beagle :lol: Not going to try the rotational lift though...
Okay now I picture Tessa as a dog. Sorry that sounds rude.

martyross
10-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Exactly. You see sexual Carmen, then you see her tortured and mad, then in love, then dismissive and victorious.
about the segment between habanera and 'la fleur', i interpret it as a sort of premonition of tragedy, that could be also something that Carmen feels deep inside. she feels that this passion with the jealous brigadier will end badly. she is a gipsy who reads hands and tarots, and in the opera the theme of fate is quite strong. like in a Greek tragedy. there is something ancient and mysterious in this character, imo.
besides, the love part doesn't sound that reassuring anyway. the drum beats added to the original score makes it sound as a funeral march, more than a serenade.

pani
10-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Okay now I picture Tessa as a dog. Sorry that sounds rude.

:lol:

Shayii
10-30-2012, 10:41 PM
I must say i like this madness step sequenc at the end. Especially from pratice video.

I don't know if it's the same place you're talking about, but I love the quirky choreo parts too. 3:10 and 3:30 in this practice clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoQ6q0D3zKQ&feature=g-hist

http://www.sport-express.ru/newspaper/2012-10-31/8_2/?view=page
Vaitsehovskay artice - Hot thing.
Please use google translation.

Thank you for the article. Even with google translate some parts were hard to make out. I asked for a translation someone , hope you don't mind.

shine
10-31-2012, 01:44 AM
I'm SO thrilled to see this FD from V/M, and even happier to see Tessa in particular is finally, finally, FINALLY starting to move like an ice dancer, telling a story with the tension in her back, the placement of her arms, her neck etc, rather than just moving elegantly and pleasantly in a generic way. There's real life and blood in the dance.
But they really left their best performance on the practice ice. The parts that they did in the run through seemed so much more effective than in their actual competition FD. Maybe the costume had something to do with it in addition to Tessa being sick. I also think the lyrical section in the middle can use some more actual choreography. Hopefully in their outing they'll skate this FD on the level that we saw in their run-through at Skate Canada.

bmcg
10-31-2012, 01:58 AM
I'm SO thrilled to see this FD from V/M, and even happier to see Tessa in particular is finally, finally, FINALLY starting to move like an ice dancer, telling a story with the tension in her back, the placement of her arms, her neck etc, rather than just moving elegantly and pleasantly in a generic way. There's real life and blood in the dance.
But they really left their best performance on the practice ice. The parts that they did in the run through seemed so much more effective than in their actual competition FD. Maybe the costume had something to do with it in addition to Tessa being sick. I also think the lyrical section in the middle can use some more actual choreography. Hopefully in their outing they'll skate this FD on the level that we saw in their run-through at Skate Canada.

I felt Tessa did this all the time, it's what made her stand out from the rest, they just skated more pleasant elegant themes.

Proustable
10-31-2012, 02:11 AM
Expectations went from...

Before announcement: I hope they skate
Before announcement: I hope that Carmen was suggested by a troll on Aunt Joyce to be a bitch
After announcement: Marina, really? They don't need warhorses. Certainly not this warhorse.
Jennifer Swan: Oh, that's nice. Wonder what'll come through
High Performance Photos: Oh my, those lift positions look beautiful
Practice: Holy schpedoinkel (bonus points if you get the reference!).

There are so many things that impress me about this dance, so a couple more

a) Tessa gets it. Tessa usually takes a little more time to get the expressive soul of a dance than Scott. Even with "Mahler" (something that was right inside her wheelhouse) it took until Nationals, I thought, before she felt really natural. It's part of the reason why she's underrated in this regards. Somehow, she gets this one. She gets the rage, the lust, the madness, the violence.... everything. This still (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ry2pHy6klzs/UI7ED7ww93I/AAAAAAAABMs/8c6q0o9s2Vc/s1600/11.jpg) really gets to me. The rage suggested by the position of her body (her arm and hand turned outwards towards Scott, the points of her skates boring a hole into the ice), the way Scott's body is almost subsumed into hers (love the costuming here) suggesting both sexual domination (his hand placement of course, but that LOOK. Dear god, that look), madness (Persona on ice) and violence so vividly. Scott gets it too, of course. He gets the romance, the lust (after all, he is putting his hand there), the desperation.

b) It feels like a departure and a continuance of their career. They've never been this dark before. They've never pushed it this far. It's not like anything they've done before. Except all those programs gave them the training, the support to do this one. That gift of character? Think "Funny Face." Portraiture? Their Tango/Waltz OD. Intensity? Farrucas. Lust? Latin trio. Modern movements from Pink Floyd, emotional connection from... well, everything, but lets say Mahler. All those programs... all those masterpieces of choreography..... now they give us this.

c) I love VAYTSEHOVSKAYA's comments. "Why now and not the Olympic year?" I love her answer even more.

sap5
10-31-2012, 02:24 AM
c) I love VAYTSEHOVSKAYA's comments. "Why now and not the Olympic year?" I love her answer even more.

What is her answer?