PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #21 - Carry On as the Waltz Goes On

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

IoanaC
10-30-2012, 03:56 PM
How can you attach "blame" to Tess and Scott? They simply go out and do their best at any given moment. how we choose to view their efforts is our problem not theirs.

I don't think Kosjenka used the word "blame" literally.:)

I share Golightly's opinion that, in this very restrictive system, which doesn't encourage daring choices in movement and choreography, the fact that Tessa and Scott wanted to show something different and, let's face it, make their job even more difficult than it already is, is something to be proud of, as a fan. I think it's the perfect blend of wonderful technique, interesting choreography and deep emotion. It's the best, most complex program they've ever done and that we've seen in years, IMO.

walei
10-30-2012, 04:01 PM
I agree aka_gerbil that we should not expect end of season scores in October. However I do think their SD score was a freak accident and definitely fixable. I love Marina's comment that Tessa and Scott are Olympic and multiple times World Champs, they need to set new standards and if that means skating to a high risk program it will be worth it.

I love Carmen so much I just practiced the first part of their curve lift with my beagle :lol: Not going to try the rotational lift though...

aka_gerbil
10-30-2012, 04:12 PM
I agree aka_gerbil that we should not expect end of season scores in October. However I do think their SD score was a freak accident and definitely fixable. I love Marina's comment that Tessa and Scott are Olympic and multiple times World Champs, they need to set new standards and if that means skating to a high risk program it will be worth it.

I love Carmen so much I just practiced the first part of their curve lift with my beagle :lol: Not going to try the rotational lift though...

I also think the SD scores were a freak thing. V/M are not headcases by any stretch of the imagination, but they are such perfectionist and so very hard on themselves, I think that sometimes when they have a problem in a program, it can throw them off their game a little bit--like going robotic after Tessa fell out of her twizzles at Canadian Nationals last year. I think Scott accidentally hitting Tessa 3 seconds in to the program--3 seconds in to their first competetive skate of the year--threw them off. IMO, the troublesome lift will be gone, and the polka sequences, step sequence, and twizzles were all fantastic in practice. No biggie. It's easy to panic, I certainly did Friday night, but when you do, just remind yourself of the trajectory Farracus took. They struggled all fall with that program, but by the Olympics and Worlds, it was something to behold.

I am definitely in awe of what they've managed to do with this FD. I know I'm repeating what I said yesterday, but I thought I'd never see a program like that again with all of the restrictions IJS has and all of the focus being on the technical elements.

walei
10-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Remember how after their SD we collectively decided to lower our expectations for the FD and WHAM, our heads exploded even with two glaring errors :lol:

Shayii
10-30-2012, 04:16 PM
I had unbelieveably high expectations--astronomical-- for this program once we heard that they had worked with Jennifer Swan. For me, they have far exceeded my expectations with this program

My expectations were incredibly high as well and they blew me away! And the fact that they did so when they didn't even skate perfect, I mean I don't even know what to say. Can't wait to see it develop throughout the season.

I agree aka_gerbil that we should not expect end of season scores in October. However I do think their SD score was a freak accident and definitely fixable. I love Marina's comment that Tessa and Scott are Olympic and multiple times World Champs, they need to set new standards and if that means skating to a high risk pr
ogram it will be worth it.

Do you have a link to the interview where Marina says this?

Kosjenka you're missing the point. Igor wasn't just stating the obvious, he was being an ass.

walei
10-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Do you have a link to the interview where Marina says this?

Kosjenka you're missing the point. Igor wasn't just stating the obvious, he was being an ass.

I was paraphrasing but here is the article
http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/1278695--skate-canada-ice-dancers-tessa-virtue-and-scott-moir-cop-gold-with-steamy-free-program

Golightly
10-30-2012, 04:25 PM
I do not think Igor was being an ass? Sure, he said all that with a purpose, but he's doing his job and I honestly think you are overanalyzing his comments. It's Igor, he's supposed to say those things. And, hey, he might've been right about the lift and we do not know the tone he used or how he said these things. I think many people hold a grudge against Igor and are a bit sensitive to whatever he says or does. I don't mind as long as he doesn't purposely attack VM directly, which he did not, he went for the panel. I am not saying it was right, all I am saying is that he is supposed to act this way and it's just not important to me.

Shayii
10-30-2012, 04:27 PM
I was paraphrasing but here is the article
http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/1278695--skate-canada-ice-dancers-tessa-virtue-and-scott-moir-cop-gold-with-steamy-free-program

Thank you!

lauravvv
10-30-2012, 04:29 PM
I find the score absolutely ridiculous, having seen the program they performed last week (or two weeks ago, I can't remember). They must have all PCS in the 9s, way above what the French and W/P got last season.What that performance has to do with their competition marks? It was an exhibition, for God's sake, not a competition - of course they didn't skate with their full abilities and force. Still, I agree that they were most likely overscored.

Lissa
10-30-2012, 04:39 PM
No, I couldn't go to Brasov. Is there a video of the performance?
I find the score absolutely ridiculous, having seen the program they performed last week (or two weeks ago, I can't remember). They must have all PCS in the 9s, way above what the French and W/P got last season.
However, I wouldn't be surprised if the Russians pushed I/K shamefully at CoR. No use panicking right now, let's hope Tessa and Scott work on the polka levels and modify that lift. It wouldn't have hurt to have more time between their assignments, but that's how it is. Can't wait to see them in Moscow!!

When V&M & D&W are competing against them, no way they can give them those type of points, it will look ridiculous & totally obvious they are overmarking I&K. However with the Russians you never can be too sure, they have ways to screw everyone over.:rolleyes: & for several years now it has killed them that 2 North American teams have dominated ice dance.

aka_gerbil
10-30-2012, 04:47 PM
What that performance has to do with their competition marks? It was an exhibition, for God's sake, not a competition - of course they didn't skate with their full abilities and force. Still, I agree that they were most likely overscored.

My guess is that it's what usually happens when you have one of the top teams in with a bunch of not-top teams; the top team get scored through the roof in comparison to everyone else. It's like when you're really hungry that no matter what you eat ends up tasting like the best thing ever.

That said, I/K do have fab skating skills.

martyross
10-30-2012, 05:03 PM
i've been reading thousand of times that it's only natural that expectations are set very high for the best skaters and therefore, they're going to be scrutinized much more...but like for many other "dogmas", i'm starting to wonder if it is really a truth... i wonder, maybe these expectations have to do with a sort of selfishness from fans, who would like to be awed/entertained/moved all the time...to the point that they unconsciously require it from the skaters and declare disappointment if the skaters don't satisfy them... can't remember exactly when, but this summer i said that we were moving toward a "dictatorship" of the audience.. we fans are too self-centered, and don't think about what the skaters themselves may want to do with their career. they are not there to please us and our personal tastes, that's what i mean :)

kosjenka
10-30-2012, 05:05 PM
I do not think Igor was being an ass? Sure, he said all that with a purpose, but he's doing his job and I honestly think you are overanalyzing his comments. It's Igor, he's supposed to say those things. And, hey, he might've been right about the lift and we do not know the tone he used or how he said these things. I think many people hold a grudge against Igor and are a bit sensitive to whatever he says or does. I don't mind as long as he doesn't purposely attack VM directly, which he did not, he went for the panel. I am not saying it was right, all I am saying is that he is supposed to act this way and it's just not important to me.

Yep.
Some think Igor should pass questiona that have anything to do with his former students. This was the competition where his current students were skating in the same group with his former students and were skating for the top spots. The possibility of that happening on larger competitions this season is ... well, less likely. So is was appropriate for him to comment on the technical aspect of it. I get we all have our own impression of what one person thinks when they make some statement. I think V&M are more into pushing themselves for the next competition and for clean 2 programs.

I have been a fan of Tess&Scott ever since Junior Worlds 2006. And I hated Malaguena almost as much as they.
I see that COP is leaving little space for the creativity and pushing the limits, but if top teams like V&M and D&W dont do it - eventually there will be a rot. I love when a really good skater/team can turn a new page & go for something totally new for themselves and for the sport.

Virtue&Moir have the ease in their skating that I have seen so few times. And they deliver. That is why I wrote that the have set the bar so high.

Emdee
10-30-2012, 05:06 PM
I think most of us expected that this year there would be a push to push I&K forward so that they are third at Sochi. B&S want none of that and have done all they can to stop the push. We will have to see how W&P score in the next competition and worlds. Also P&B may be downgraded come worlds to make room at the top.

With all this shoving and pushing I am happy that TS have too great programs and I am only going to focus on that and not the results( I lie I will look for the results a little bit)

chantilly
10-30-2012, 05:31 PM
I just timed the lift in V and M's program and from the lift off the ice to her foot down it is seven seconds. I can't remember the rule for the lift. Thought it was 8 seconds. But it could be six. As far as Igor's comments, I had no problem with the lift deduction comment as if he was right they should have been penalized. But so what they would have won by one less point. I however didn't like the" they aren't in shape" I just think it was a bit unfair and bad sportsmanship. His team made mistakes in their FD. We're they also not in shape or ready? Look it is the first competition of the season, I would have preferred a comment like that then one in which he makes a thinly veiled jab at their training. As far as the Carmen thing. He clearly knew they were thinking of using the music at least for the SD. You won't convince me that he didn't know it was a possibility. And the FD of C and L was changed sometime after June. There were rumours here for a while that V and M were using Carmen. There would have been talk amongst the rinks for sure. It is a shame though I think mostly for C and L. It is a great FD choice for them. But I feel they will be lost in the battle.