PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #21 - Carry On as the Waltz Goes On

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

pani
10-30-2012, 01:52 PM
I think you need to pay attention to the fact that I-K get for SD in Romania 70,95.
Ioana, maybe you saw this SD? I am in shock. It will be not funny for me to be at CoR :lol:

IoanaC
10-30-2012, 02:20 PM
I think you need to pay attention to the fact that I-K get for SD in Romania 70,95.
Ioana, maybe you saw this SD? I am in shock. It will be not funny for me to be at CoR :lol:

No, I couldn't go to Brasov. Is there a video of the performance?
I find the score absolutely ridiculous, having seen the program they performed last week (or two weeks ago, I can't remember). They must have all PCS in the 9s, way above what the French and W/P got last season.
However, I wouldn't be surprised if the Russians pushed I/K shamefully at CoR. No use panicking right now, let's hope Tessa and Scott work on the polka levels and modify that lift. It wouldn't have hurt to have more time between their assignments, but that's how it is. Can't wait to see them in Moscow!!

pani
10-30-2012, 02:27 PM
No, I couldn't go to Brasov. Is there a video of the performance?
I find the score absolutely ridiculous, having seen the program they performed last week (or two weeks ago, I can't remember). They must have all PCS in the 9s, way above what the French and W/P got last season.
However, I wouldn't be surprised if the Russians pushed I/K shamefully at CoR. No use panicking right now, let's hope Tessa and Scott work on the polka levels and modify that lift. It wouldn't have hurt to have more time between their assignments, but that's how it is. Can't wait to see them in Moscow!!

Did you get visa? Congrats!
I didnt saw video - people said strem was very bad. PCS you could see at this photo - 9,25 for SS.
http://s018.radikal.ru/i502/1210/1b/e71f0841f121.jpg

martyross
10-30-2012, 02:34 PM
I don't think it's fair that only Virtue&Moir are talked this way by the coach of an other team. he "just stated the obvious", well, if it is so obvious, is there the need to state it? and he's not just a casual watcher who gave his honest, legit opinion. when you are the coach of an other team and you point out only negative things about the "rival" team, is suspicious. words are not just words, they must be seen in the context. and here we have quite a particular context, he is their former coach and a bad split happened. all the more reason to be diplomatic, otherwise, any negative word can be seen with suspicion.

martyross
10-30-2012, 02:38 PM
woa, how good I/K have become in just a few months?? :D:D miraculous! dare we hope in some 10's next time? :D

IoanaC
10-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Did you get visa? Congrats!
I didnt saw video - people said strem was very bad. PCS you could see at this photo - 9,25 for SS.
http://s018.radikal.ru/i502/1210/1b/e71f0841f121.jpg

Yes, I did get the visa.:)
I/K are good skaters, potentially great skaters, but those PCS are ridiculous. The judges aren't doing them any favours by showering them with scores that not even an experienced team like Pechalat/Bourzat gets. I also wonder about those 34 points in TES, 2 points higher than M&C at Skate America, who skated really well. Well, never underestimate Russian politicking.

nlyoung
10-30-2012, 02:45 PM
The reality is that this year V&M are going to need to be squeaky clean in order to get their levels, as are D&W. I'm sure there are many out there, including judges, who are looking for a bit more competition for the two teams, and as the teams below them improve, they will be given better and better marks. I'm sure by next year it will be more than a 2 way race. I do think that it is still down to the top two teams this year, and whether we like one program better than another isn't going to make one bit of difference to the judges, or the final outcome. They will continue to give the two teams virtually equal component scores, with the technical panel determining the outcome in any head to head competition (hopefully based on what the teams actually perform on the ice). This is how it has been the past three years. Remember that D&W beat V&M at the GPF right before the Olympics, and from that competition the scores have been back and forth. The smallest of mistakes this year will make a huge difference. Both teams are capable of skating cleanly, but both are equally capably of miscues... I may prefer V&M, but I also like D&W and this is sport. May the best team on any given day win! :watch:

kosjenka
10-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Well, I accept that I see this situation differently. I dont see anything rude, undiplomatic about what Igor said. From what I read, the split was a business one with the club and business partner.
V&M like other top teams choose stability over chaos of finding a new environment etc. Their federations had their part in this, which is understandable. Igor was clear that C&L were so close with their marks to V&M because V&M had problems with their lift. Not because C&L suddenly are on the same level as 2 time world champions.

As for V&M Carmen. I dont know how would a modern Carmen under COP look like. I can only say that I havent seen it yet. Maybe it would me more connection to the music and less portraying the characters?
Working with a contemporary-dance choreographer does not necessary make the program modern. Just like when some started having ballet instructor for using ballet music and yet one never leaves impression of a ballerina :saint:

IoanaC
10-30-2012, 03:03 PM
As for V&M Carmen. I dont know how would a modern Carmen under COP look like. I can only say that I havent seen it yet. Maybe it would me more connection to the music and less portraying the characters?

Don't you think the program has both? Every beat of the music is interpreted, every move makes sense, I feel I'm discovering new details every time I watch it.

Golightly
10-30-2012, 03:08 PM
We're back to the bipolar marking by judges in the Grand Prix events. This hurt Davis and White immensely last year. Event after event they kept receiving great scores and then a harsher panel saw them at 4CC and Worlds, and look at what happened. I wish judges were consistent.

kosjenka
10-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Don't you think the program has both? Every beat of the music is interpreted, every move makes sense, I feel I'm discovering new details every time I watch it.

I find the program interesting, but there is no - "WOW I never thought that could be done with Carmen!"
As I said before, V&M have themselves to blame, they put the bar so high and spoiled me with their abilities and love for competing.

Golightly
10-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Perhaps you think they can do much more as they are so insanely talented, but I do believe this program does possess a wow factor. But then again, my expectations weren't as high so, two very different mindsets.

girlscouse62
10-30-2012, 03:31 PM
I find the program interesting, but there is no - "WOW I never thought that could be done with Carmen!"
As I said before, V&M have themselves to blame, they put the bar so high and spoiled me with their abilities and love for competing.

How can you attach "blame" to Tess and Scott? They simply go out and do their best at any given moment. how we choose to view their efforts is our problem not theirs.

pani
10-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Its OK, when people have different opinion. But for its funny to read criticism V-M didnt have nothing new in Carmen and then to read what programs this posters thinking is the best this season :lol:
And even if someone will tell this about V-M Carmen, this not become worst, sorry :D

kosjenka it noy about your opinion, but overall impression. I understand your point and dont need to read it 100 time per day :) I think only at the end of the season we could understand, wich program will be best and wich program we will be remeber long time since this days.
And i am really want to see I-K SD video. And cant wait to see CoC - who will wing? Difficult question :D

Perhaps you think they can do much more as they are so insanely talente
Maybe people always wish to see more from V-M, but this time i see i wa right - even Bolero, if it will be skate by V-M, will be bad program for some FS fans. And its OK. But please, if you think C-L did a great job and then call V-M FD generic - i will not pay attention to this opinion.
If V-M will be compare to B-S FD choreo - i could understand this.

aka_gerbil
10-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Perhaps you think they can do much more as they are so insanely talented, but I do believe this program does possess a wow factor. But then again, my expectations weren't as high so, two very different mindsets.

I had unbelieveably high expectations--astronomical-- for this program once we heard that they had worked with Jennifer Swan. For me, they have far exceeded my expectations with this program.

I think some people were expecting them to be skating and scoring now like they'll be at the end of the season... which is ridiculous. It was their first competetion of the season, with Scott coming back from the neck injury and Tessa being sick. It's only going to get better. You don't expect perfection on a first outing of a program. If it's perfect in October, that means trouble going ahead. Plus, this is V/M we're talking about. They grow programs over the season; we should all know that by now. ;)