PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #21 - Carry On as the Waltz Goes On

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

ddtpdx
10-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Dont know. I agree they could lose becayse of super-difficulty of this FD, but this FD is something speciall in ice dance history. So who care, what judges thinking about if, if this FD in 10 times better, then all others?
If last season D-W were masterpiece without any new element, i think compare to it, this FD is best of the best.
I could only hope T-S will stay healthy and happy during all season long.

I never understood why the COP system never took into account recycling of elements (this applies to all disciplines and not just dance - I used to hate it when a skater uses the same program the following season - of course they are going to skate it better).
IMHO, there should be automatic adjustment to the GOE (eg, subtracting 1 to each individual's judge GOE score) for the recycled element, as well as adjustment to the choreographic score (eg, subtract whatever value there is per recycled element). Besides, that would encourage all teams to be creative. But then again, I'm a very quantitative person and many FS fans probably won't agree.

martyross
10-28-2012, 05:28 PM
I feel like Carmen is getting all the attention and the narrative is now being written that the SD isn't as strong as their FD or as other couples' SDs, and I totally disagree... both programs are knockouts.

agree about the narrative! in the SD they portray emotions that are more complex than others polka programs we saw. not a fan of "happy and pretty all the time"! i think it's easier to do. instead, I so appreciate that Tessa and Scott are acting more complex roles even here. i don't know, i think the mark "Interpretation" should take complexity in account...given how freacking difficult is to be credible as actors while skating on such slippery surface.
and well, my personal personal opinion is that an entirely joyful expression looks kind of fake, artistic-wise. but that's probably my idea of art. :)
also Paul/Islam have a very stylish and a bit melanchonic SD.
i sincerely couldn't care less for the comments that we know, but i would like to say that the real vulgarity is in those comments, not in Tessa and Scott's moves.
i am very greateful for this thread too. :)

puglover
10-28-2012, 05:51 PM
I agree with Pani - this free dance is a keeper worth watching over and over from their first outing. I know winning is important to them - but I am so happy to see a real signature dance that shows them as mature adults and skaters with real passion and emotion as well as all the other things they excel in. I do believe this dance - given the progress with it they will make over the season - will be one they will always be remembered for. I dread the day they retire - ice dance will not be the same for me.

iggie
10-28-2012, 05:52 PM
i'll give a belated play by play of the fd commentary by tracy and rod

- rod was really trying to play up that igor selected carmen knowing that v/m had already selected it. he was implying it. stating it. over and over. tracy ignored it and him
- tracy sided with the judges on the sd. no rant about how v/m are underappreciated, but that they just didn't get levels
- tracy said that v/m add more difficulty to the program than they need to. they do enough for a level 4 and go beyond. like in the spin, when scott caresses tessa's face, that is frickin' hard. he gets no credit for it but it made that spin so much more complicated

puglover
10-28-2012, 05:53 PM
I think the short dance is sensational as well. Tracy Wilson mentioned hearing lots of positive comments about it and it was suggested to them by two veteran skating icons, independently.

maggylyn
10-28-2012, 05:55 PM
It's not a concern for me and I know they made mistakes but I'm just trying to read into the criticism about their SD. Which I probably should just ignore I know but I can't help it.Nevermind just ignore me.:lol:

It helps to remember that a lot of criticism is simply trying to put down a perceived rival or threat to someone else's favorite skater(s). (shrug)

ETA:
I understand personal taste comes into things, but I have to say I'm not seeing anything indecent or OTT in Tessa and Scott's FD choreography. It fits the theme perfectly without crossing any lines - IMO of course.

And I adore Tessa's FD dress. It's not "too low" either in front or in back. :)

martyross
10-28-2012, 05:55 PM
iggie, did you have a chance to hear the opinions on Carmen from the two Spanish ladies? i remember what one of them said about Tessa, "an immense artist". i loved reading that and darn she was right!

IoanaC
10-28-2012, 05:58 PM
- rod was really trying to play up that igor selected carmen knowing that v/m had already selected it. he was implying it. stating it. over and over. tracy ignored it and him.

I think she did well. It's no use stirring a media scandal that can only have a bad impact for the skaters.

iggie
10-28-2012, 06:00 PM
iggie, did you have a chance to hear the opinions on Carmen from the two Spanish ladies? i remember what one of them said about Tessa, "an immense artist". i loved reading that and darn she was right!

lucia said on twitter

I think it was a stunning performance. I was expecting something more than great. Flawless!
Tessa performed the Carmen I had in my mind: with lots of passion and sexuality. Really breathtaking!

martyross
10-28-2012, 06:02 PM
like in the spin, when scott caresses tessa's face, that is frickin' hard. he gets no credit for it but it made that spin so much more complicated
that is a very very touching moment in the whole program.. that one little gesture captures the essence of the Song of the flower, the sole romantic moment in their story. i feel for Scott/JosŤ watching him doing that gesture.

martyross
10-28-2012, 06:04 PM
lucia said on twitter

I think it was a stunning performance. I was expecting something more than great. Flawless!
Tessa performed the Carmen I had in my mind: with lots of passion and sexuality. Really breathtaking!
thanx so much! i was very interested to know her/their reaction!

Sahararainfall
10-28-2012, 06:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma1y60VmcxM

Longest YT video of the FD so far at 08:36 minutes, complete with slow mo and KnC reactions (or non-reactions).

ETA: Oops, the Chinese TV version is also complete and longer with the commentary of Zhao. But the above has a bigger screen size.

sequins
10-28-2012, 06:07 PM
i'll give a belated play by play of the fd commentary by tracy and rod

- rod was really trying to play up that igor selected carmen knowing that v/m had already selected it. he was implying it. stating it. over and over. tracy ignored it and him

That's Rod for ya. Harping on and on about the same thing. Thank goodness Tracy is there to set him straight and ignore him when needed:)

rvi5
10-28-2012, 06:12 PM
i really want the director for all the cameras to sit down and figure out the best camera angles to show us the carmen free. for example, he knows the ending now so maybe when v/m end, he can use the camera that's looking at them straight on, not from the side. maybe zoom in to tessa's face, getting the look in her eyes, not zooming out.

Typically they place fixed cameras at each rink end (with a boom camera near the K&C), centre-ice in the hockey penalty box area opposite from the judges (back/rear view), and near the end of the judges benches (somewhat side shot only). At SCI Kingston, they placed three cameras behind & above the judges bench. However, that blocked the audience's view. They probably received complaints, and did not repeat that at SCI Mississauga last year. To get a frontal view of V/M's FD ending, they would need to bring a portable camera into the judges bench area (may not be permitted). I don't know what they did at SCI Windsor, since I did not go to that event.

iggie
10-28-2012, 06:22 PM
that particular idea was just a suggestion. anyway, all i'm saying is that angle is not the best for capturing the final pose.

i interviewed (http://compulsorydances.blogspot.ca/2012/06/off-season-lounge-richard-fox.html) a camera operator and he said this:

The first thing I like to do is watch the routine as many times as I can. Once I understand the choreography I can plan my framing and moves. From there I break it down and work out what the shot should be from one step to the next. Then when it's time for the performance I give it my best. Sometimes I don't get to see it first. In that situation I work out the parameters of the venue and follow my instincts and a few basic rules like be smooth and follow the rhythm, keep the shot mostly head to toe, look for the emotion, if they separate follow the woman, etc.

so . . . it's not too much to want them to figure out the best angles for the carmen fd. you want the video to have the most impact.